April 14, 2024, 6:59pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Whatever you say about his defending we’ve missed his dead ball delivery

We have but Vernam's deliveries are better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 55
Heisenberg
April 14, 2024, 7:19pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
No matter what we think of Clifton, if you let him go you’ll not find a player with his flexibility or engine at our level.

I think DA will offer him an extension, but I’d be gobsmacked if Hurst isn’t after him. Clifton on a freebie? I think he’d have teams queuing up.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 55
AncientExiledMariner
April 14, 2024, 7:21pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.48
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Heisenberg
No matter what we think of Clifton, if you let him go you’ll not find a player with his flexibility or engine at our level.

I think DA will offer him an extension, but I’d be gobsmacked if Hurst isn’t after him. Clifton on a freebie? I think he’d have teams queuing up.

I agree on this one. I'd definitely renew. As an option on bench or coming in when others are out of form, he's essential in a squad and when he finds a bit of form playing wide, he's quite a player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 55
HertsGTFC
April 14, 2024, 7:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from fishboyUTM

We have but Vernam's deliveries are better.

That’s a poll for the close season when there’s nothing to talk about.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 55
Theimperialcoroner
April 14, 2024, 8:06pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,258
Gold Stars: 102
I’d hope to keep Clifton, Wilson,  Green and Glennon. It’s a squad game and all four are plenty good enough. Maher is too but I suspect there’s more going on there which means he’ll go, probably along with Glennon.
We need to add some quality to the core and that wont be easy. Barrow for example had about four excellent players that would walk into our team, the rest were pretty much similar. That’s what you have to find, another four players who will be our stars along with Thompson and Rose.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 55
Mappers
April 14, 2024, 8:09pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Approval: +4,410
Gold Stars: 119
I need someone to do the individual player appraisals , they are always an interesting read .

It's funny how quite a few are saying release Clifton - he might already have 'released ' himself and found a decent move one league up , I'm sure there will be a good bit of interest for his versatility alone .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 55
mariner91
April 14, 2024, 8:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,726
Gold Stars: 262
People keep saying about Clifton going to L1 but he would struggle so much due to his complete lack of technical ability.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 55
Mappers
April 14, 2024, 8:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Approval: +4,410
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from mariner91
People keep saying about Clifton going to L1 but he would struggle so much due to his complete lack of technical ability.

I don't think he would in terms of minutes , versatility and the added bonus of being a good character + does not get injured much . I think he's had a hard ride this season being played in what to my mind is his worst position - in the middle of the park a lot  ; wide left is his best position I think but more than adequate at wing back , full back or right midfield . He must be a managers dream .

I think he should go if he get's the chance - for me he needs a fresh challenge to further his career.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 55
kevikov
April 14, 2024, 8:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
If DA is heading back to the possession football ethos, Clifton and Tbf a few others will struggle for minutes. I agree Harry is versatile and has an incredible engine on him but first touch, vision and accurate passing aren’t really his strengths. He’ll probably get another year with us but we need upgrades in a few starting positions.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 55
Limerick Mariner
April 14, 2024, 9:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,727
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
I’d hope to keep Clifton, Wilson,  Green and Glennon. It’s a squad game and all four are plenty good enough. Maher is too but I suspect there’s more going on there which means he’ll go, probably along with Glennon.
We need to add some quality to the core and that wont be easy. Barrow for example had about four excellent players that would walk into our team, the rest were pretty much similar. That’s what you have to find, another four players who will be our stars along with Thompson and Rose.

Wilson will surely want out. Clifton should probably move on for his career, but I’d be surprised if we don’t offer him a decent contract. I’d offer Green a contract as well. At this level his energy and commitment has a role to play. I suspect both Maher and Glennon will leave.

Any Mansfield or Stockport cast offs that we’d like as they strengthen for the step-up?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Squad for next season

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.