20 Pages Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
denni266
April 10, 2024, 8:29am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 132
What has cost us is the ammount of missed clear chances to score. Every player will miss a sitter  but we seem to miss nearly every one of them. Chances that sunday league players put away with ease... The annoying thing is that no matter how bad this team has performed it has created clear cut chances that have been missed more than once in a game. Probably cost us 15 / 20 points over the season. We need to keep Rose and get him a decent partner to stand a chance next season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 180 - 191
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 10, 2024, 8:35am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,301
Gold Stars: 307
I don't like to single out young players for criticism but Obikwu was ineffectual last night and subbing him at half time would not have been unfair to him. He struggled to win challenges on the ground or in the air, trap the ball, hold it up or bring other players in to the game. I struggle to see why he's preferred to Wilson.

Tondeur and Dis agreed on the radio with JT mentioning how he was struggling to get into the game from about 15 minutes on.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 181 - 191
lew chaterleys lover
April 10, 2024, 8:52am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,747
Gold Stars: 237
I don't like to single out young players for criticism but Obikwu was ineffectual last night and subbing him at half time would not have been unfair to him. He struggled to win challenges on the ground or in the air, trap the ball, hold it up or bring other players in to the game. I struggle to see why he's preferred to Wilson.

Tondeur and Dis agreed on the radio with JT mentioning how he was struggling to get into the game from about 15 minutes on.

The line up last night was disappointing all round, but we could have done something about it and used the subs much earlier to give them a chance.

Coventry seem to rate Obikwu and we have done our bit to introduce him to the EFL but it would be better for all concerned if he doesn't feature again unless we are mathematically safe as he is offering nothing to the team.

What can the manager and the coaching staff see that we can't,  and why when we are in a precarious position would you play an untried youngster over say Wilson?

Obikwu's future career doesn't hinge on whether we play him whether he deserves to or not.
Private Message
Reply: 182 - 191
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 10, 2024, 9:03am
Champagne Drinker
It's possible that a condition of the loan was that he starts or gets game time and DA needs to keep Coventry sweet for future deals - but I don't know that's a fact.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 183 - 191
lew chaterleys lover
April 10, 2024, 9:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,747
Gold Stars: 237
It's possible that a condition of the loan was that he starts or gets game time and DA needs to keep Coventry sweet for future deals - but I don't know that's a fact.

I can't believe we would let our hands be tied like that, but a poor judgement if remotely true.

I am utterly cheesed off with being perennial strugglers and being at the mercy of other clubs being slightly worse, and higher placed clubs using us as a doormat.
Private Message
Reply: 184 - 191
neverapen
April 10, 2024, 9:29am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +128
Gold Stars: 1
Agree about Obikwu, at times it felt like he didn't know what he was doing out there, and I'm amazed at how someone so tall can't win more headers. I would have preferred Wilson to start who is stronger in holding the ball up.

I thought defensively we did ok last night, thought Smith did alright again and interesting that Harry came in a LWB over Hume - who didn't have the best time when he came, or Vernam.

Midfield wise, Gav was getting stuck in but with minimal effect and it took me a while to realise Andrews was even playing. At times it felt like Mullarkey was playing more in midfield and trying to create chances more than the actual midfield itself.

On a fan note, credit to everyone who came along. Right at the end of the match a bloke stood behind me, think his name was Rick became unwell and we had to get the medics. He seemed ok after a while but if he is on here or anyone knows him then please send him best wishes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 185 - 191
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 10, 2024, 9:47am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from neverapen
Agree about Obikwu, at times it felt like he didn't know what he was doing out there, and I'm amazed at how someone so tall can't win more headers. I would have preferred Wilson to start who is stronger in holding the ball up.

I thought defensively we did ok last night, thought Smith did alright again and interesting that Harry came in a LWB over Hume - who didn't have the best time when he came, or Vernam.

Midfield wise, Gav was getting stuck in but with minimal effect and it took me a while to realise Andrews was even playing. At times it felt like Mullarkey was playing more in midfield and trying to create chances more than the actual midfield itself.

On a fan note, credit to everyone who came along. Right at the end of the match a bloke stood behind me, think his name was Rick became unwell and we had to get the medics. He seemed ok after a while but if he is on here or anyone knows him then please send him best wishes.

I will support Harry until the die I day but he was woeful last night, couldn't get anything right.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 186 - 191
Abdul19
April 10, 2024, 10:01am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,590
Gold Stars: 219

I can't believe we would let our hands be tied like that, but a poor judgement if remotely true.

Was 6 weeks before he started a game for us so I'd be surprised if it was.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 187 - 191
Meza
April 10, 2024, 11:04am

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,647
Gold Stars: 50
We also haven't scored nearly as many goals from other areas of the pitch which hasn't helped and some of the existing players from last season not having a great season.  

I still think we could do with another attacking midfielder who scores from midfield (Gav being the only one that resembles an attacking midfielder, i know, they don't grow on trees.

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 188 - 191
ginnywings
April 10, 2024, 1:42pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
I can't believe we are still starting games with not one, but two young and inexperienced loan players in the heart of the team. It was three when Cartwright was in the side, and I think it is extremely poor planning by the club.

I don't want to unduly criticise these young lads, because they all show some promise and may well turn out to have good careers in the game, but it's asking for trouble in a struggling side to have them playing regularly when we are in such a precarious position. It's also heaping a lot of pressure on them to perform to the required standard when they are clearly not yet ready.

Wilson wasn't great on Saturday, and missed three glorious chances, but at least he had the nous and the strength to get himself in those positions in the first place. Better strikers than him have had such off days, when the chances come and go without finding the net. Obikwu doesn't look accomplished enough to lead the line to me, though he did score a goal that was chalked off, but the rest of his game was found wanting and I think he should have been hooked sooner, if not left on the bench completely.

God knows what the other senior pro's think sat on the bench watching him. We'd have been better off with Vernam in a No10 role. At least he can beat a man.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 189 - 191
20 Pages Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Match Thread Harrogate A

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.