This thread currently has 1,337 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
GrimRob
April 1, 2024, 10:28pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
Came across this in the Lincolnshire Echo September 2nd 1899. Is the "temporary stand" of 1899 our present-day Main Stand? I think the stand was originally at Abbey Park?

I am curious what the "disgraceful scenes with the wagonette" people at Abbey Park were!

In 1899 BP was regarded as the best ground in the whole Football League!

Attachment: bp1899_9640.png
Size: 203.55 KB

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
moosey_club
April 1, 2024, 10:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,277
Gold Stars: 226
Wagonettes were essentially the horse drawn buses of the day....so my guess is they rode through crowds of people with little regard to their safety.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 9
GrimRob
April 1, 2024, 10:51pm

If anyone is interested here is the Telegraph ahead of the last great game at the Abbey, the Lincolnshire Cup final against Lincoln.

https://www.evernote.com/shard.....S87OaN2sKmMGlrLHakMA

The Telegraph had their own "private telephone" to report from the ground.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Reply: 2 - 9
Running like emson
April 1, 2024, 10:59pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +285
Gold Stars: 8
Brilliant , thank you. Love the article about the Tram Boys !! They can't conduct themselves....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 9
Maringer
April 2, 2024, 8:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,625
Gold Stars: 185
If you've read Bob Lincoln's early history of the club, there were some real shenanigans going on back in Victorian times which you wouldn't expect. People haven't really changed all that much since the 1890s. Same vices, same character flaws!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 9
GrimRob
April 2, 2024, 9:40am

Quoted from Maringer
If you've read Bob Lincoln's early history of the club, there were some real shenanigans going on back in Victorian times which you wouldn't expect. People haven't really changed all that much since the 1890s. Same vices, same character flaws!

That book is a classic. Have read it twice.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Reply: 5 - 9
JK47
April 2, 2024, 10:18am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +204
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from GrimRob
Came across this in the Lincolnshire Echo September 2nd 1899. Is the "temporary stand" of 1899 our present-day Main Stand? I think the stand was originally at Abbey Park?

I am curious what the "disgraceful scenes with the wagonette" people at Abbey Park were!

In 1899 BP was regarded as the best ground in the whole Football League!

No the stand from Abbey Park was on the Barrett Stand/Findus Stand side of the ground, the Main Stand followed a couple of years later, and has been the oldest structure in the football league ("structure" not just "stand") for several decades now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 9
Theimperialcoroner
April 2, 2024, 12:46pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,244
Gold Stars: 102
I’m more concerned at the splendid erections at either end.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 9
WOZOFGRIMSBY
April 3, 2024, 11:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,888
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Maringer

Not sure if he is the same bloke that wrote it, but o remember reading of some drunken behaviour following town at a game in Nottingham in the 1930/40s (I think)

East Midlands old bill probably didn’t want to move the kick off time for John logie bairds new sports channel after winning the rights over his American counterpart at Marconi sports

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 9
Maringer
April 4, 2024, 7:42am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,625
Gold Stars: 185
Nah. Bob Lincoln was one of the founders of the club back in Victorian times. I think he might even have been chairman at one point. There's a good story in the book about how GTFC were hauled up in front of the F.A. For a breach of regulations (I think it was maybe to do with professionalism). The Lincoln City chairman had evidence of our misdemeanours and reported it (big rivalry back the) but Bob Lincoln went to the meeting feeling very confident, because he had the evidence in his own pocket! They had obviously got somebody to burgle the Lincoln chairman's house to get it!

The GTFC book was half of a Lincoln's memoirs about the development of football and cricket in the town, but I've never read the cricket side of it. I think it was published in 19 20-odd, but I could be wrong.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › First game at BP

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.