4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
sam gy
April 2, 2024, 12:11pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Re Pearson's interview...the bloke has the unenviable task of keeping morale up within the squad. What's the point of coming out, saying how awful it was that we drew in the last minute and heaping even more pressure on an already fragile group. Really don't think we need to take every interview as gospel. He's gotta do whatever he can for the remaining games and coming out and saying it's a huge two points lost rather than a point gained doesn't really help anyone. We all know it anyway. They sure as hell know it.

With initiatives surrounding 'back the boys'/'operation survival' etc.... those were all done in days when attendances weren't as good as they are now, with the aim of getting as many fans as possible to back the team. The home section at BP is near enough full every game, and away attendances are always good, so there's not really any point.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 39
ska face
April 2, 2024, 12:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,747
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from sam gy
Re Pearson's interview...the bloke has the unenviable task of keeping morale up within the squad. What's the point of coming out, saying how awful it was that we drew in the last minute and heaping even more pressure on an already fragile group. Really don't think we need to take every interview as gospel. He's gotta do whatever he can for the remaining games and coming out and saying it's a huge two points lost rather than a point gained doesn't really help anyone. We all know it anyway. They sure as hell know it.

Do they? When we got beat 3-1 off Wrexham, and they stopped trying at half time, both post-match interviews discussed how much better we were in the second 45 and how we had, in fact, won the second half.

When we got beat at Barrow and they stopped bothering after 25 minutes, the manager spent the interview blaming the ref, who had done absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. Is this sort of insane, detached nonsense helping anyone?

We’ve had months of the same shít from people saying we’re looking up and not down. Well it’s about time this mob got a dose of reality.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 39
MarinerWY
April 2, 2024, 12:55pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
I dunno, what I saw yesterday was not a lack of effort or desire. I think they'll be absolutely gutted and know it's two points dropped.

I just think we haven't got the quality in the squad, and yesterday was a mixture of lack of capability and lack of confidence.

If they weren't fighting, putting in the effort or recognising the importance etc. I think they'd have received a very vocally negative reaction at the end. As it happens, I think most people were gutted, frustrated but recognised it wasn't an effort issue, and acknowledged that. I'd never have a go at a player for not being good enough - that's a recruitment issue, not their fault... if they were not giving their all, then I think fans would pull any player up on it regardless of their ability.

Not the case for me. Confidence is shot... I think the players needed a win yesterday just as much as fans did.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 39
diehardmariner
April 2, 2024, 2:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,652
Gold Stars: 539
In all honesty I don't give a crap what Artell or Pearson say in the press, it's what they're saying in the dressing room I care about.

I don't expect them to come out and dig people out, I think if push came to shove I'd perhaps prefer them to not come out and describe a dogged if uninspiring performance as 'outstanding' but I can live with it.  It's if they've addressed them in the changing room with the same rhetoric that would worry me.

Yes build their confidence, yes highlight what went well.  But intercourse me someone light a fire under them and let them go for it.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 39
Teestogreen
April 2, 2024, 2:58pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -156
Gold Stars: 23
Absolutely.
But one two have said that the manager has received sad news about a family member. I know how this can impact us from experience.
If true, then the club has to navigate through the managerial side of this

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 39
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
April 2, 2024, 6:17pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +878
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from IowaMariner
What’s happened to Pyke btw?

He's probably strayed offside again
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 39
WOZOFGRIMSBY
April 3, 2024, 11:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,887
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from wigworld
I've still got a sheet of 'Be there or blue square' stickers around somewhere. You're welcome to them if you think they will help.

I’ve still got Liam hearns ‘blue square’ subs top after we lost to Newport  in the playoffs of 12/13

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 39
Zmariner
April 4, 2024, 10:48am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Although I am bored into a stupor by relegation fights, I do think that the crowd has a role to play in this. We have several games against teams with nothing to play for, a lot more draws will not keep us up.
I think about two wins and possibly one draw will be enough. The best two chances are the home games against Newport and Swindon and in my opinion we should go for the throat in these games. In my opinion, we must be on the front foot.
Relegation to the National league will be a crisis as I think it will be very difficult to shift season tickets for a third stint in there. No disrespect to these teams, but who wants to watch Dorking and Borehamwood unless you are top of the league. If we go down, we would start next season with virtually a completely new team and I am not sure that DA would be able to continue.
On this basis, staying up will be like promotion. On a sidenote, I see Omar Bogle is back for Newport.
As crap, as the season has been  ,100% committed support whilst we are in this fight .
If you look at Stevenage a couple of years ago, they were in such a mess and look at them now and so these things can turn around. David Artell is a smart guy, but if we do go down it will be proven that he reacted too late and was too dogmatic in his pure football approach. We simply have to beat Newport and it is a 50:50 game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 39
lew chaterleys lover
April 4, 2024, 11:01am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Zmariner
Although I am bored into a stupor by relegation fights, I do think that the crowd has a role to play in this. We have several games against teams with nothing to play for, a lot more draws will not keep us up.
I think about two wins and possibly one draw will be enough. The best two chances are the home games against Newport and Swindon and in my opinion we should go for the throat in these games. In my opinion, we must be on the front foot.
Relegation to the National league will be a crisis as I think it will be very difficult to shift season tickets for a third stint in there. No disrespect to these teams, but who wants to watch Dorking and Borehamwood unless you are top of the league. If we go down, we would start next season with virtually a completely new team and I am not sure that DA would be able to continue.
On this basis, staying up will be like promotion. On a sidenote, I see Omar Bogle is back for Newport.
As crap, as the season has been  ,100% committed support whilst we are in this fight .
If you look at Stevenage a couple of years ago, they were in such a mess and look at them now and so these things can turn around. David Artell is a smart guy, but if we do go down it will be proven that he reacted too late and was too dogmatic in his pure football approach. We simply have to beat Newport and it is a 50:50 game

The crowd will be up for it but it would be nice if the team actually deliver. We have to get our better attacking players on the field in Vernam and Wilson as we have to win, regardless of other results.

If we survive it will, like you say, give a feeling of euphoria almost akin to a promotion and allow the owners and management the room to address any mistakes they feel were made, but going down will set us back and it is difficult to see any enthusiasm for the National League at all.

Private Message
Reply: 28 - 39
Mappers
April 4, 2024, 2:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,389
Gold Stars: 119
The team need to keep calm and play with the same desire as against Bradford .

I don't think it's win or bust yet myself but a case of keeping the points ticking over - for me 2 or 3 points from the next 2 would be satisfactory anything else is a bonus - we have a decent shot of a draw at Harrogate you would have thought  . We would then only need 1 win and a draw maximum probably from 4 .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Operation Survival

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.