male private Nale
March 29, 2024, 9:32pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -925
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from chaos33
He’s a Fenty disciple. Like Dorries is with a Johnson. Keep up.

Deluded
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 86
headingly_mariner
March 29, 2024, 9:35pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from ginnywings
Given our appallingly bad showing over the last 2 decades, it is patently obvious that we just cannot attract the better players out there. Good players have options, and we are not at the top of the wish list of any aspiring footballer, so we end up with the make weights.

In the 85 games since we returned to the EFL, we have won a grand total of 24, and consistently have a negative goal difference over a very long time period. We have neither the finances nor the appeal to coax players of any ability to this footballing backwater, and that is what we are.

The club has been in a death spiral for years, desperately trying to cling to football league status, while other sides with seemingly less resources than us turn up week after week and just look better in every department than we do.

We have players who can't control the ball, pass the ball, beat opposition players with skill or nous, and generally look slower in thought and deed than our opponents almost on a weekly basis. We can't even get throw ins and free kicks right. We had three starters today in the spine of the team, who are young loanees with barely any experience of league football. What the fook do we expect to happen when that is allowed to happen, despite our healthy support base?

Most of our squad are non league standard at best and you can see that on the pitch in stark detail every time we step onto the pitch. Teams just let us have the ball, knowing we have little threat and will eventually make a gaffe of such epic proportions, that they will be presented with a guilt edge chance, which is why we concede with almost every opportunity the opposition have.

Is this the fault of Artell? I'm not a fan of his from even before he came here, but we have had countless managers over the years trying desperately to cobble together a winning side from the dregs of what's left after the better resourced and geographically placed teams have had the pick of the better players on offer.

I'm just about done with Town to be honest, and the constant looking forward to the next manager, the next squad, the next season, when the here and now is a never ending round of misery and disappointment.

Fooked off with football and for ever discussing where we go wrong and how we should put it right. Nothing changes does it? Looks like we may bore our way to another relegation in the Woods tradition of drawing countless games because we haven't got the players with the requisite steel, nous and determination to win at all costs.

It's important to have a long term strategy.
It's clear from the accounts that the squad has had investment we just haven't found the right blend.
For us I think we need to be developing our own players and investing in potential where we can.
To be fair I think that is part of the plan, the investment in training facilities will hopefully help the youth set up. I also think the club will have a decent reputation for looking after players.

I'm not sure Artell is the man for the managers job though. Hope I'm wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 86
MaccasBoots
March 29, 2024, 9:51pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Approval: +696
Gold Stars: 23
After a 6 game unbeaten run (which we should have had more points from were it not for some absolutely shocking officiating), we then lose a mere two games on the bounce against teams right at the top of the table and this board goes into meltdown again. Typical. There are some on here who clearly just hate Artell, and will gleefully delight in any defeat as it allows them to stick the knife in again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 86
HerveJosse
March 29, 2024, 9:58pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,205
Gold Stars: 144
Overcomplicating it. We had a competitive budget but signed one of the worst squads in 20 years . Most were signed early so not lat minute decisions and most were given longer contracts then normal for EFL league 2 . None of this is Artells fault whether or not he has done better or worse then could be expected with the hand he was played . The fault lies with the summer recruitment and all responsible  for that need to be gone whoever they are
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 86
Ashby mariner
March 29, 2024, 10:12pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from ginnywings
Given our appallingly bad showing over the last 2 decades, it is patently obvious that we just cannot attract the better players out there. Good players have options, and we are not at the top of the wish list of any aspiring footballer, so we end up with the make weights.

In the 85 games since we returned to the EFL, we have won a grand total of 24, and consistently have a negative goal difference over a very long time period. We have neither the finances nor the appeal to coax players of any ability to this footballing backwater, and that is what we are.

The club has been in a death spiral for years, desperately trying to cling to football league status, while other sides with seemingly less resources than us turn up week after week and just look better in every department than we do.

We have players who can't control the ball, pass the ball, beat opposition players with skill or nous, and generally look slower in thought and deed than our opponents almost on a weekly basis. We can't even get throw ins and free kicks right. We had three starters today in the spine of the team, who are young loanees with barely any experience of league football. What the fook do we expect to happen when that is allowed to happen, despite our healthy support base?

Most of our squad are non league standard at best and you can see that on the pitch in stark detail every time we step onto the pitch. Teams just let us have the ball, knowing we have little threat and will eventually make a gaffe of such epic proportions, that they will be presented with a guilt edge chance, which is why we concede with almost every opportunity the opposition have.

Is this the fault of Artell? I'm not a fan of his from even before he came here, but we have had countless managers over the years trying desperately to cobble together a winning side from the dregs of what's left after the better resourced and geographically placed teams have had the pick of the better players on offer.

I'm just about done with Town to be honest, and the constant looking forward to the next manager, the next squad, the next season, when the here and now is a never ending round of misery and disappointment.

Fooked off with football and for ever discussing where we go wrong and how we should put it right. Nothing changes does it? Looks like we may bore our way to another relegation in the Woods tradition of drawing countless games because we haven't got the players with the requisite steel, nous and determination to win at all costs.

Totally agree . Ive been going for 25 years to all the home games and to a fair few away games over the years. The Harrogate game did it for me. I haven't been since and the worrying thing is I don't miss going.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 86
diehardmariner
March 29, 2024, 10:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,672
Gold Stars: 540
But the same people you're saying to go based on the summer recruitment were here for the Jan recruitment, which was deemed as decent last time I checked.

I think we just have to accept that last summer was a balls up. A major wasted opportunity that we're not getting back. It'll take time to fix that, be it Artell or whoever.

Artell has got tied hands. He brought in one central efender but he wasn't able to bring another in, hence playing someone who failed to simply control and clear the ball for their first goal.

One of his signings dawdling for the second of course, but he's really limited in being able to control individual mistakes once the game starts.

What I would say though is that he got his tactics wrong today. Obikwu too isolated and that narrow midfield exposed us in wide areas. Barrow are a good side and they exploited that big time.

Obikwu reminded me of Darren Mansaram when he had his break through season in the second flight.  Totally isolated, boy against men, body and brain not quite in sync for the professional game yet trying and trying and then some more.

Barrow and Wrexham aren't the games I expected us to pick up enough points to be safe from. It's the Bradford and Harrogate types where we'll find out if we're safe or not.

Rose and Vernam back in on Monday.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 86
arryarryarry
March 29, 2024, 10:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Honestly thought he was the right appointment, but I have to doubt it now, he's slowly losing the fans, and I'm not sure he can get the respect he needed now
The board need to take some blame too, they shouldn't have tied his (or any candidate for that matter) hands behind their backs by forcing the training staff on him..

On what basis did you think he was the right appointment, considering in his last job he relegated Crewe and was out of work for quite while and Crewe fans said the only reason he took them up was because took over a really good squad but when he brought his choice of players he took them down?
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 86
Croxton
March 29, 2024, 10:52pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,020
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from MaccasBoots
After a 6 game unbeaten run (which we should have had more points from were it not for some absolutely shocking officiating), we then lose a mere two games on the bounce against teams right at the top of the table and this board goes into meltdown again. Typical. There are some on here who clearly just hate Artell, and will gleefully delight in any defeat as it allows them to stick the knife in again.

'Meltdown' suggests heat, panic or rage. It's actually a quiet realisation that, once again, the club as well as the team is blundering towards non league. As one of the 437 or whatever fans who travelled to Barrow my overwhelming emotion is one of sadness that our excellent support has so little to cheer and that some are saying they are giving up away travel.

Regulars will have recognised pals from distant parts, chatted about seven hour train journeys, motorway queues and wondered who a familiar sounding voice was. There were Mariners Trust board members, sponsors, DN35 podcasters, Mariner Hodo and Graham. Tony Butcher (Cod Almighty) may have been there but didn't spot him. Point is, they, and the rest of us fans, are all stakeholders who seem to be riding on a runaway pony and trap with no brake, no reins and a rapidly loosening wheel.  

Stopped at a Service area on the M61 on the way back and saw some young fans getting some food. They weren't in meltdown, just tired and downcast. We older types have at least seen some better times but days like today must be dispiriting for those young souls.

We should all ignore the usual trolls and axe grinders on here but there is no doubt for me that belief is draining away on and off the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 86
sydney
March 29, 2024, 11:20pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Good Post Croxton
Sums up how we feel with this poor appointment and this dreadful season (again)
Come On Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 86
Azimuth
March 30, 2024, 12:46am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +709
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from chaos33

You know what you are - the Nadine Dorries of this board.
Pathetically stupid sycophant that everyone mocks.  

The usual Ad Hominem from Chaos.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › 20 league games under Artell

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.