This thread currently has 9,555 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
LH
March 12, 2024, 10:54pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,589
Gold Stars: 175
This forums mental at times. Hurst got pelters for having a solid yet boring style in his first spell. Artell was getting hammered every game at home but he was “getting to grips with things”. He’s just started getting a grip with a style that the players know what they’re supposed to be doing. Jury’s still our for me and it’d take something very significant for me to forget that start to the year.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 102
TAGG
March 12, 2024, 11:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 102
TownSNAFU5
March 12, 2024, 11:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,906
Gold Stars: 42
Many owners would have sacked the manager after so many dire results.  Look at York for example.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 102
ginnywings
March 12, 2024, 11:19pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
DA deserves credit, but I think Shaun and Ben do too. Not sure how much sway they have had in the change of shape and direction, but I imagine they will have had a significant input.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 102
jamesgtfc
March 12, 2024, 11:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,040
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Poojah
I was pretty strident in my view that Artell should have gone after Donny. Look, I think it’s important to be able to put your hands up and admit when you were wrong about something, but there was no shortage of circumstantial evidence that something was seriously amiss. 21 goals conceded in 6 games is a crazy stat, especially when 1 of those results was a clean sheet.

My view at the time was simply that Artell was tactically bonkers, and that the players were devoid of confidence in the manager. The systematic approach and body language in those Stockport and Doncaster games appeared to speak volumes.

But the turnaround since is nothing short of remarkable. To go from conceding 21 in 6, to just 2 in 5 (when one of them was a penalty that should never have been given) is even more mental than the original stat. It’s just not something you see in football.

But neither can be fluke. If Artell deserved criticism for that terrible run - and he did, then he deserves huge credit for what’s transpired since. He’s shown tactical chops I didn’t think he had. Tonight, in particular, was a tactical masterclass.

79% possession sounds like an absolute skullfúcking. But for all that possession (and precisely 500 more passes according to the Sky stats) they managed 1 less shot in total than Town, 2 fewer on target and 0 chances of note. Meanwhile we’ve scored a goal, missed a penalty, had a good penalty shout denied and then, in the same passage of play, hit the inside of the post. I genuinely can’t remember the save Cartwright apparently made tonight.

A lot of credit has to go to the players, too, who certainly appear to be playing for the manager. They’ve shown a lot of grit this past 2 or 3 weeks - grit I think many people, myself included, didn’t think they had.

Still work to be done. Forest Green are showing they aren’t going away, and I don’t think we can afford to completely forget that wretched run at the beginning of the year until we are safe, but the signs are magnitudes more positive than I ever could have believed they might have been under Artell just a few weeks ago.

The more I think about our situation, the more I think that Artell was hired because he said he could get the team playing the "Grimsby Way" immediately. Artell has recently said that this is only his second job, and the first in this situation, so he accepts that he possibly changed too much, too soon.

But, my theory that he said he could get us to play the "Grimsby Way" straight away essentially becomes something he was accountable to the board for, and this would explain the reluctance to change after each hammering. After the Doncaster game, things have thankfully changed. I am worried about when we do transition to the "Grimsby Way" but I hope lessons have been learned that it's a transitional process and you have to play to the strengths of the players at your disposal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 102
mariner91
March 12, 2024, 11:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,744
Gold Stars: 262
Deserves huge credit for having the humility to change his approach after so stubbornly saying he was going to stick with it for so long. I wanted him gone as did the majority but the players are responding to him and actually today was a well worked, tactical win. Had a game plan, got the players to carry it out and the game plan worked tremendously well. You can't ask for more than that.

Also deserves huge credit for the signings of Thompson, Tharme and Hume. They all took a little while to get going which is understandable when Tharme and Hume have barely played and Thompson has had injury worries but they've all been instrumental in changing our fortunes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 102
Grantley
March 12, 2024, 11:26pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,504
Gold Stars: 9
Thing is, this is the sort of style of play that should have been implemented when he came in. We all wanted Hurst to get back to grinding out 1-0s but he just couldn’t. If anything, this is the most Hurst-type run of games we’ve seen since 15/16. Safety was the most important thing when Hurst was sacked so whether Artell was getting to grips or experimenting, the football and results were not appropriate at the time.

Three more games like this and we’re pretty much safe.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 102
Theimperialcoroner
March 12, 2024, 11:30pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,260
Gold Stars: 102
Whilst there is a lot of pragmatism in our play, we still scored a bloody lovely team goal tonight. Thompson and Hume are class. Tharme seems to be just what we needed too.
MK are a very good team and bang in form, yet they didn’t really lay many gloves on us. 2 decent chances was about it. I’d say for all their possession we had the better of  the clear cut stuff. A massive win.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 102
Mappers
March 12, 2024, 11:31pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,431
Gold Stars: 119
I think he deserves credit for his willing to change .

League 2 is crap though and you can get by with work ethic , organisation and the odd player with a bit of ability .

I think he's going to be stuck between a rock and a hard place- he's stumbled upon an effective style for the situation and one that would probably have you doing relatively well if implemented for a whole season in this league it's almost Hurst + .

It's obviously the complete contradiction on the way he thinks the game should be played , so will he rip the whole thing up both with wholesale changes to the squad and reverting to Artell ball come August ?

The players don't fit his style , but most of them are good enough in this style of play and look really good will he just discard them ?

It will be interesting
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 102
MarinerWY
March 12, 2024, 11:45pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,991
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from Hagrid

Im not trying to be difficult here, but it really wasnt ridiculous.

Him getting stick wasn't ridiculous, but some of the abuse people were giving went far too far... 3 people leaning over the advertising boards and laying into him mid-game at Donny, eventually having to be pushed away by stewards, was too far. Especially if some of the stuff they allegedly said was even half true.

But yeah, most people expressed their frustration is a much more reasonable but still vocal way and that was fine.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 102
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell deserves credit

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.