8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
grassbandits
February 25, 2024, 6:25pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +123
Gold Stars: 5
Look at all those kids Liverpool had playing against Chelsea today. Then look at the positive noise and atmosphere the Liverpool fans made compared to Chelsea.

One team individually and collectively played above their sum parts and the other didn’t. Positive support from your crowd more often than not elevates performance imho.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 75
Poojah
February 25, 2024, 6:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,704
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from grassbandits
Look at all those kids Liverpool had playing against Chelsea today. Then look at the positive noise and atmosphere the Liverpool fans made compared to Chelsea.

One team individually and collectively played above their sum parts and the other didn’t. Positive support from your crowd more often than not elevates performance imho.

Liverpool weren’t 2 goals down after 10 minutes. Town fans have proven over the years that if you give them something to get behind, they’ll back it, but finding ourselves in “game over” situations within the opening stages of the last two home games doesn’t lend itself to raucous support - it’s a two way thing.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 75
The Caterham Mariner
February 25, 2024, 7:15pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +92
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from grassbandits

Your right ...But Yuk Liverpool.. remember Southampton  then Brighton = " You think Grimsby  have won the FA Cup!"  We to did our team proud.LIVERPOOL make my skin
crawl ..No thanks .
UTM

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 75
bradzmilne
February 25, 2024, 10:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,430
Gold Stars: 30
I firmly believe, Saturday is the biggest game in a very, very long time.

Now that sounds extreme…

However, going down would cause irreversible damage & I think that realistically, we need an absolute minimum of a point to prevent that from occurring.

The first time going down was horrific, however, after years of rubbish it was probably needed & the play off campaigns galvanised a desire for following Grimsby Town, particularly to the younger generation, who have been starved of any success.

The second time was strange, due to ownership hostility & COVID. By the time we all got back to Blundell Park, we could have been playing anyone and we’d have attended in huge numbers, irrelevant of level + the buzz of the new owners.

However, a third time? I just can’t see any positive spin. It’s the fans that have to put up with it and I fear a lot of people’s patience will have run out.

I have a really bad, gut feeling.

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 75
lukeo
February 26, 2024, 6:29am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,399
Gold Stars: 149
Quoted from crusty ole pie
Lukeo can we have a ticket watch please

Oh go on then!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 75
Mappers
February 26, 2024, 8:27am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,428
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from bradzmilne

Now that sounds extreme…

However, going down would cause irreversible damage & I think that realistically, we need an absolute minimum of a point to prevent that from occurring.

The first time going down was horrific, however, after years of rubbish it was probably needed & the play off campaigns galvanised a desire for following Grimsby Town, particularly to the younger generation, who have been starved of any success.

The second time was strange, due to ownership hostility & COVID. By the time we all got back to Blundell Park, we could have been playing anyone and we’d have attended in huge numbers, irrelevant of level + the buzz of the new owners.

However, a third time? I just can’t see any positive spin. It’s the fans that have to put up with it and I fear a lot of people’s patience will have run out.

There wouldn't be and all the goodwill towards the owners and club would be erroded , maybe forever for some .

That's why it's vital we stay up - a battle at the bottom can be seen as a blip , relegation would be a disaster . Crowds would be down to 4k in NL at a push 5k if we steamroller it .

But momentum would be gone and I think it would underpin the thought in many's minds that we are at best a yo-yo club between lower end league 2 & NL .

The thought of going to Solihull , Dorking or even Aveley on a Tuesday night will hardly get pulses racing , even if it's a bit of a laugh - they were fun times seeing new grounds , how amateur ,small and old school they are (I mean at Kings Lynn you can't even see ) it's not the 'fun' I want to go back to .

We must stay up
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 75
grimps
February 26, 2024, 9:12am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,144
Gold Stars: 46
Can anyone actually remember the last time we packed the park and won ?
We always let ourselves down at home when its a full house.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 75
grimps
February 26, 2024, 9:15am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,144
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Poojah

Liverpool weren’t 2 goals down after 10 minutes. Town fans have proven over the years that if you give them something to get behind, they’ll back it, but finding ourselves in “game over” situations within the opening stages of the last two home games doesn’t lend itself to raucous support - it’s a two way thing.

Yeah , Liverpool fans haven't seen their team flirting with relegation to non-league for the umpteenth time in the last 15 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 75
chaos33
February 26, 2024, 9:21am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,990
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from Poojah

Absolutely.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 75
Poojah
February 26, 2024, 9:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,704
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from bradzmilne

Now that sounds extreme…

I think the permutations of Saturday’s game are pretty simple; win and we’ll probably stay up, lose and we’ll probably go down. And going down would be absolutely catastrophic.

I posted the maths on here the other day, but relegation is likely to cost the club between £2.5m and £3m next season, money we can’t afford to lose given the players we already have contracted for next season. It’s a compound, viscous circle - we don’t have the money to compete, people are hard up and stop going, we have even less money to compete…it’s a death spiral I don’t see us recovering from.

Go down, and I see us becoming something of a Torquay or Yeovil. Gradually struggling more and more in the National League, before eventually finding ourselves playing regional football.

We just can’t go down. We absolutely mustn’t.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 75
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Pack Out Blundell Park

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.