2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
February 22, 2024, 12:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
Okay, I'll keep this short and sweet — this is based on some comments I saw online (or on social media, I forget) that put a different spin on it.

In summary, it said that football culture only seems to measure the merits of passing out from the back on goals.

How many you score from doing it; how many you concede from doing it.

In reality, it needs to be looked at differently.

For example, Town mess around with it at the back, and end up losing control of the ball and kick it out for a throw-in 10 yards inside their own half. No goal resulted from it, but it gives the opposition encouragement. They see a weakness, and attain possession of the ball in a part of the pitch they didn't earn in the traditional sense.

If a team continues to do this time and time again, they hand the initiative — and the confidence — to the other team.

So, the opposition score goal. It didn't come "directly" from a mistake while passing out from the back.

BUT — it could've resulted from increased confidence in the opposition gained by our inability to pass the ball out from the back effectively.

Artell said the goal we conceded against Stockport was the first we'd conceded directly from passing out from the back. But how many of the other 20+ goals have resulted from giving the opposition needless possession/confidence?

Just thought it was an interesting take on it. Not sure if it holds weight but it's certainly different from other comments I've read.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
JK47
February 24, 2024, 7:46am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.71
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +189
Gold Stars: 2
Any game, you have to vary things, so that your opponents don't know what to expect.No single tactic is so good that you can or should use it every time.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
Doctor Sanchez
February 24, 2024, 8:00am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +19 / -6
Approval: +638
Gold Stars: 1
If the opposition is high pressing then hoof it, if they're sitting back then play it out.  It's the goalkeeper's/defender's decision to make based on what's happening at the time.  I'm pretty sure it always used to be this way.  For some reason in the past few years it's become trendy to play out from the back no matter the situation.  Probably because managers want their team to play like Barcelona did 10 years ago.  Unfortunately most teams aren't that Barcelona team.

Serial thread killer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
pen penfras
February 24, 2024, 8:10am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from RichMariner
Okay, I'll keep this short and sweet — this is based on some comments I saw online (or on social media, I forget) that put a different spin on it.

In summary, it said that football culture only seems to measure the merits of passing out from the back on goals.

For example, Town mess around with it at the back, and end up losing control of the ball and kick it out for a throw-in 10 yards inside their own half. No goal resulted from it, but it gives the opposition encouragement. They see a weakness, and attain possession of the ball in a part of the pitch they didn't earn in the traditional sense.

If a team continues to do this time and time again, they hand the initiative — and the confidence — to the other team.

So, the opposition score goal. It didn't come "directly" from a mistake while passing out from the back.

BUT — it could've resulted from increased confidence in the opposition gained by our inability to pass the ball out from the back effectively.

Artell said the goal we conceded against Stockport was the first we'd conceded directly from passing out from the back. But how many of the other 20+ goals have resulted from giving the opposition needless possession/confidence?

Just thought it was an interesting take on it. Not sure if it holds weight but it's certainly different from other comments I've read.

Every goal comes from giving the opposition possession. Lumping it forwards results in defenders winning more often than the attacker, then you're battling for the 2nd ball.

The philosophy of playing out from the back makes sense. Whether Grimsby Town can attract players good enough to do it well is the question
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
Tommy
February 24, 2024, 8:24am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from pen penfras

Every goal comes from giving the opposition possession. Lumping it forwards results in defenders winning more often than the attacker, then you're battling for the 2nd ball.

The philosophy of playing out from the back makes sense. Whether Grimsby Town can attract players good enough to do it well is the question

This.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
February 24, 2024, 8:50am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -158
Gold Stars: 78
Artell is not going to change his philosophy either way so we might aswell embrace until next weeks defeat to Forest Green when he will be down the road

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
HertsGTFC
February 24, 2024, 8:59am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,933
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from RichMariner

The passing out I’m ok with the p1ssing about on the edge of the 6 yard box I’m not.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 15
kevikov
February 24, 2024, 5:04pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
Like most competitive sports, it comes down to who is better. if you are better at playing it out than the opposition is at pressing, it works. Sadly the opposite is the case with us.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 15
hampshiremariner
February 24, 2024, 5:20pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,056
Gold Stars: 35
Perhaps they will learn how to do it better when we are back in the NL.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
Gaffer58
February 24, 2024, 5:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
But todays goal against came from us giving the ball away in their half and they just broke away.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Passing out from the back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.