1mickylyons
February 21, 2024, 7:27pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from HertsGTFC
A thread that perfectly illustrates what people say about the Fishy.

If JS never talked about data his detractors on here would say we need to use more data to get us up the table.

He and AP are both good guys, yeah I 100% see the relegation threat but just picking fault in everything he says is bonkers.

Short memories some people 🙄

Not sure most of us are fussed we just want JS to use his eyes and admit he's dropped a bollock and rectify it ASAP
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 91
Mappers
February 21, 2024, 7:35pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,325
Gold Stars: 118
If Fenty had been charge for less than 3 years, I wouldn’t have given him shït for appointing a manager, which at this point, isn’t working.

Any appointment is a risk.

I would have done in the second half of Fenty’s tenure because he became an embarrassment for his general behaviour.

Writing vanilla, flannel / philosophical musings (delete as applicable) in a national broadsheet does not constitute embarrassing.

Honest John for the majority of his tenure had
Failure/failure
On the pitch (17 years) /infrastructure (20 years ) that's a large percentage of failure .

This weird narrative that both off field improvements and on the pitch performance  can't co-exist from some is bizarre.But honest absolutely massacred the infrastructure side of the club , in favour of being semi competitive on the field which he also tucked up . Tick those failure boxes on both sides year in year out , and you end up where we are ; far far behind the pack I would say it was the opposite of the Stockwood /Pettit ideal . JSF must have had
'continuous regression ' as his mantra for 20 years .

Stockwood / Pettit
On the pitch/imfrastructure
Year 1- Failure/success (not the full season)
Year 2- Success /success
Year 3-Success /Success
Year 4- looks iffy

The small sample size of what they have achieved so far leaves me highly optimistic that if they stick around they will deliver more success than failure as they get to grips with the football world .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 91
HertsGTFC
February 21, 2024, 8:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,948
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Not sure most of us are fussed we just want JS to use his eyes and admit he's dropped a bollock and rectify it ASAP

That I agree with.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 91
davmariner
February 21, 2024, 8:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,935
Gold Stars: 79
The owners shouldn’t be anywhere near the overarching football strategy. They’re there, at best, for the business side of things.

You don’t see the Glazers getting involved in football matters, nor do you see Sheikh Mansour pulling the strings at Man City on the football side.

You employ people for that, whether it’s a Director of Football, CEO, Sporting Director, Head of Recruitment or simply down to a manager which has been the more traditional approach here in the U.K. It’s a skilled role.

It’s not for Stockwood (at least if we want to be successful) to demand we play ‘the Grimsby Way’. That’s an absolutely nonsense approach. For example, budget constraints or location issues may mean that getting the players in to play that way isn’t realistic. Only a football person can judge that.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 91
Yoda
February 21, 2024, 8:56pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,162
Gold Stars: 71
We are in a mess
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 91
HertsGTFC
February 21, 2024, 9:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,948
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from davmariner
The owners shouldn’t be anywhere near the overarching football strategy. They’re there, at best, for the business side of things.

You don’t see the Glazers getting involved in football matters, nor do you see Sheikh Mansour pulling the strings at Man City on the football side.

You employ people for that, whether it’s a Director of Football, CEO, Sporting Director, Head of Recruitment or simply down to a manager which has been the more traditional approach here in the U.K. It’s a skilled role.

It’s not for Stockwood (at least if we want to be successful) to demand we play ‘the Grimsby Way’. That’s an absolutely nonsense approach. For example, budget constraints or location issues may mean that getting the players in to play that way isn’t realistic. Only a football person can judge that.

I completely agree and maybe in hindsight Jason wouldn’t use the term “Grimsby way” again.

Maybe though he was actually referring to trying to recruit a manager who’ll play entertaining attacking football, you can’t blame him for trying to do that can we? Isn’t that what we all want to see?

Despite his commitments I’d be amazed if he tried to tell someone as stubborn as Artell how to coach & set up a team. Then again looking at the last few games someone needs to 🙄

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 91
February 21, 2024, 9:12pm
Guest User
Who is in charge of recruitment ?
Reply: 66 - 91
Maringer
February 21, 2024, 9:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,528
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from davmariner

Nonsense. If the owners of a business don't decide the direction they want the operation to go, what is the point of them?

If I was running the club, I'd certainly be looking to have a team playing good football, something for which we were known for much of my formative years (i.e. the Buckley eras). People still talk disparagingly of Slade's 'Hoofball' era and were chuntering about Hurst's functional, somewhat dour style of play (in both his spells) for as long as I can remember.

The complaints about trying to play it out from the back have been ridiculous because, as we've seen, reverting to punting it forward hasn't exactly helped things. There's a balance to be made, obviously, but we're not capable of playing a clogging game and nor would I want to see it.

On the assumption that Artell isn't here at the end of the season, I hope that whoever takes over (and at whatever level we are playing), will attempt to play attractive, attacking football. Trying to grind out results in a relegation scrap is understandable. Starting a season with the hope of grinding out enough results for some sort of success (whatever that may be) throughout the year isn't.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 91
MuddyWaters
February 21, 2024, 9:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,254
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I completely agree and maybe in hindsight Jason wouldn’t use the term “Grimsby way” again.

Maybe though he was actually referring to trying to recruit a manager who’ll play entertaining attacking football, you can’t blame him for trying to do that can we? Isn’t that what we all want to see?

Despite his commitments I’d be amazed if he tried to tell someone as stubborn as Artell how to coach & set up a team. Then again looking at the last few games someone needs to 🙄

I’m really surprised that there aren’t clear areas of responsibility. Ok, you recruit someone with the right ethos and track record but you surely either back them with the finance to recruit players to play their system or ask them to ensure safety first. We seem to have got caught between two stools.
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 91
jamesgtfc
February 21, 2024, 9:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,964
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Artell's preferred style is akin to Stockwood's self confessed "Grimsby Way" so Artell will have been like music to his ears when he started talking about all the fantastic things Crewe did.

I understand the need for a philosophy that passes through the academy and in to the first team. It doesn't happen with one appointment though, it takes years. As others have said, you hire football people for it and those people should understand the current level we operate at. As we sit 22nd in League Two, we have to ask ourselves what value are Twenty First Group and Gareth Jennings actually bringing to the table? Seriously, are the board being ill-advised by these people?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 91
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Interesting comments from JS

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.