1mickylyons
September 27, 2023, 12:59pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,388
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from diehardmariner
Buckley never took over a side midway through a season needing to rebuild a toxic squad on a shoestring though did he?

Hurst made mistakes that season, no doubt about it.  But it was largely a poisoned chalice.  Hurst, Buckley, even Pep wouldn't have kept us up that season.

His 3rd spell he took over mid season and with a very young squad got us to safety and a Wembley appearance vs Franchise scum.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 77
Poojah
September 27, 2023, 1:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,723
Gold Stars: 1,508

It's very difficult to argue against the points picked up under Holloway and then those that Hurst didn't get, especially first of all.

But the only way I can try and describe it is that Holloway was in a moving car with his foot on the pedal that's motoring along ok, but ahead of it the road is about to end with a sheer cliff drop into the sea coming up.   As Holloway jumps out the car, Hurst jumps in with his first task of trying to perform an almighty doughnut turn  to keep us out the sea and also moving along the road at the same time.

Of course that turn is even harder because Holloway's crap is still in the car and it's impacting on the weight distribution of what Hurst is trying to achieve.

I don't think it's as simple a case that had we continued to do the same we would have continued with picking up a point a game and stayed safe.  The rot had set in and Holloway, the flipping charlatan that he was/is, got out at the right time.  Points are points, regardless of when you pick them up.  But his final seven games saw us win 1, draw 1 and lose 5.  That win came against a Scunthorpe side that were only saved from relegation by the fact that we ran out of time.

Holloway's last game in charge was the 2-1 home defeat to Bradford.  We went into that game with Montel Gibson and Ira Jackson Jr up  top, Elliott Bennett on the wing, Luke Spokes in midfield and Danny Preston at left-back.  It was only a few games previous that Holloway had dropped his first choice 'keeper for the goalkeeping coach, who then let a pea-roller through his legs away at Southend.

That's certainly a creative analogy, I'll give you that!

And I'll also concede that PPG etc. is a blunt instrument that forgets the context of the time or incidents within games, or even performances (which did incidentally seem better under Hurst during his initial barren run, despite the poor points return). I just feel, and perhaps I'm speaking too much from a position of hindsight, the absolution of Hurst for his share of that season is slightly unmerited.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 77
1mickylyons
September 27, 2023, 1:10pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,388
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Poojah

There’s no doubt that Holloway and the then board made a needless hash of the summer of 2020, as well as the weeks that followed, but I always struggle to get my head around the idea we were a lost cause when Hurst took over. We were a mess, but a salvageable one.

In Holloway’s final 10 games he took 10 points (the same record we’ll have this season if we lose on Saturday). In his previous 9 games that season he’d taken 9 points, so averaging a steady point per game, and had us six points clear of the relegation zone. This isn’t a defence of Holloway by the way, I hate that cúnt almost as palpably as I love Paul Hurst. We were terrible. But there were several teams even more terrible than us, hence we we had never been in the bottom two at this juncture.

In Hurst’s first 10 games, we took just 4 points (0.4 PPG). In his next 10, that increased to 13 points (1.3 PPG), our best spell of the season in which we only lost 1 game. But it was too late; those first 10 games and too many draws in the next 10 killed us. As we beat Bolton at home at the end of that run, we still found ourselves 7 points and a massive goal difference swing from safety. We won 2 and lost 3 of our last 5, the final of which we were already down.

There’s no doubt that Hurst came in and tried to do the right things, to bring in better players and better characters. And to a large extent, he did (Stefan Payne the obvious exception). But he simply didn’t have the time or the points cushion to complete the kind of transformation he attempted, and what happened is history.

In a parallel universe he brings in fewer players and sticks more with what he had, and we stay up. But then we wouldn’t have had those memories…

When PH was reappointed can't say I was thrilled BUT like most I thought safe pair of hands and he will keep us up.When we got relegated I'd have sacked him and that would with hindsight have been the wrong decision. I would have sacked him again in the NLwgen he had that poor run again my judgement probably wrong. Deadly John sacked no end of  Manager's and usually it only resulted in further misery. However all that being said doesn't mean we should just stick with a manager if things aren't right.PH is baffling many of us with his inability to sign a striker/goal scorer when we  have needed one for 18 months?My biggest concern is this time of year PH normally has a real bad run and I see nothing to suggest this Season will be different?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 77
diehardmariner
September 27, 2023, 2:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,671
Gold Stars: 540
Quoted from 1mickylyons

His 3rd spell he took over mid season and with a very young squad got us to safety and a Wembley appearance vs Franchise scum.

He had good six weeks extra and six games (appointed early November).  Whilst there was a youthful element of the squad with the likes of Bore, North, Hegarty and Taylor coming through he also had a very good experienced core to the squad.  Whittle, Bolland, Toner, Croft, Macca and Gary Jones all key players from the 2006 season under Slade.  

The loss of the likes of Mildenhall, Rob Jones and others in the summer was a blow, as were the injuries to Reddy and Cohen but he still inherited a good squad with a decent top-up coming through the youth set-up.  To my memory there wasn't any bad eggs in that group either. Certainly can't imagine he arrived at Cheapside find the balls were square and a non-contract defender was doing shuttle runs in front of The Pier.  That he only signed 3 players initially on loan (Paterson, Till and Pulis) suggests it didn't need the critical surgery that Hurst was left with.

I think Wembley was the season after too.

Don't get me wrong, Buckley did a good job in turning the tide that season because, unfortunately, he inherited a bit of a mess from Graham Rodger who was completely out of his depth.  But there's a bit of a mess and then there's an absolute excrement show.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 77
diehardmariner
September 27, 2023, 2:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,671
Gold Stars: 540
Quoted from Poojah

I just feel, and perhaps I'm speaking too much from a position of hindsight, the absolution of Hurst for his share of that season is slightly unmerited.

Oh, I'm with you. 100%.

Bringing Waterfall on away at Carlisle was the Parslow moment that really cost us.  It invited pressure, needlessly and let them back into the game.  It denied us a much needed win and momentum.   Had we got that win I fancied it would have taken us into the home game with Colchester, a side we needed to drag into the mixer, with confidence.  Instead we were lower than a snakes belly and ground out a 0-0.  Was too many draws in that time full stop.

Being too cautious in the first few months, Harrogate away a particular lo-light of just offering absolutely nothing going forward.

The reluctance to use George Williams, especially after his performance away at Mansfield when he looked ready to take things by the scruff of the neck.

Private Message
Reply: 44 - 77
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 27, 2023, 4:49pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,301
Gold Stars: 307

Oh, I'm with you. 100%.

Bringing Waterfall on away at Carlisle was the Parslow moment that really cost us.  It invited pressure, needlessly and let them back into the game.  It denied us a much needed win and momentum.   Had we got that win I fancied it would have taken us into the home game with Colchester, a side we needed to drag into the mixer, with confidence.  Instead we were lower than a snakes belly and ground out a 0-0.  Was too many draws in that time full stop.

Being too cautious in the first few months, Harrogate away a particular lo-light of just offering absolutely nothing going forward.

The reluctance to use George Williams, especially after his performance away at Mansfield when he looked ready to take things by the scruff of the neck.

So I'm not with you and want to put the counter argument, respectfully and for the debate...

I recall the phrase 'death slide' being used about the team toward the end of Holloway's time. We had gone from being OK to being awful and it was difficult to see where the change was going to come. He had signed a pile of players that just weren't up to it, the first team almost picked itself because there was no depth in the squad and that 1st team was poor.
Although not directly related to the on pitch performance we then had the chaos of Fenty, May and Holloway leaving etc etc etc - Holloway said he was staying but was gone within 3 weeks or so. That cannot have helped the players in terms of their preparation to play.
Hurst walked into this chaos and had to sign a lot of players in January and turn them into a side good enough to stay up, when all of us could see we were dead and buried if no changes were made. Some of his signings worked (Matete) and some didn't.
We struggled at first but got gradually better as time went on and I genuinely think that we would have stayed up if we'd have 5 more games (but we didn't). Not only did we get better results but we were better to watch. You are right that some individual results were disappointing but you could see an improving trajectory overall.
He had to fix a lot in that short period and almost got it right. Almost.

My personal view after relegation was that he should be given the chance to stay and show that he could get us going in the right direction and he did that with bells on as the club turned around from 20 years of Fenty shafting it.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 77
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 27, 2023, 6:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,764
Gold Stars: 81
My recollection is once PH joined we had a January where we played a number of relegation rivals Scunny, Southend and Stevenage and I think got just one point from a draw with Southend and if those fixtures had come later in Hurst’s return things might have been different.

Not sure re the comparison with AB certainly AB’s first two spells where the style of football was much more enjoyable and easier on the eye. That said I recall many a shout from the crowd telling them to stop f….ing passing it so much and just bloody shoot will you!!

Been some tough fans to please over the years us Codheads
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 77
Tommy
September 27, 2023, 8:32pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76

He had good six weeks extra and six games (appointed early November).  Whilst there was a youthful element of the squad with the likes of Bore, North, Hegarty and Taylor coming through he also had a very good experienced core to the squad.  Whittle, Bolland, Toner, Croft, Macca and Gary Jones all key players from the 2006 season under Slade.  

The loss of the likes of Mildenhall, Rob Jones and others in the summer was a blow, as were the injuries to Reddy and Cohen but he still inherited a good squad with a decent top-up coming through the youth set-up.  To my memory there wasn't any bad eggs in that group either. Certainly can't imagine he arrived at Cheapside find the balls were square and a non-contract defender was doing shuttle runs in front of The Pier.  That he only signed 3 players initially on loan (Paterson, Till and Pulis) suggests it didn't need the critical surgery that Hurst was left with.

I think Wembley was the season after too.

Don't get me wrong, Buckley did a good job in turning the tide that season because, unfortunately, he inherited a bit of a mess from Graham Rodger who was completely out of his depth.  But there's a bit of a mess and then there's an absolute excrement show.

A bit late reading the thread and as I was reading through it I thought of the year Buckley came in for his 3rd stint. What I'd add to the comparison of that season when AB took over, and PH taking over before taking us down, is that Buckley took what was a bang-average team and went on a run of 7 wins in 8 games kickstarted by the 6-0 win at Boston. Granted that was after a run of successive defeats (and non-scoring games until the consolation at Torquay), but without looking I don't think Hurst has ever taken us on a run of 7 wins from 8. Even when we were a big fish in the conference.

I'd also add that although the team Holloway left us with wasn't great, I seem to recall almost all of the players PH brought in were worse than what Holloway brought in, with Hurst even reverting back to using the Holloway players over the ones he brought in. My recollection of that season is that Hurst made us significantly worse for a couple of months before we started looking like a football team.

One last comparison I'll make between PH and AB -

We know PH places great emphasis on the work ethic and character of players, and whether it's intentional or not it's clear to most of us watching that the creativity often suffers in that balance.
However, AB was as strict with discipline as they come, did not accept people not working hard or not doing their job with the ball on the pitch (Jack Lester was told as a youngster breaking into the first team that if he didnt learn how to hold the ball up he'd be out the door). Yet we saw some fantastic, free flowing, creative attacking football against teams with far bigger budgets than ourselves, on a regular basis.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 77
Poojah
September 27, 2023, 8:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,723
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from Tommy

A bit late reading the thread and as I was reading through it I thought of the year Buckley came in for his 3rd stint. What I'd add to the comparison of that season when AB took over, and PH taking over before taking us down, is that Buckley took what was a bang-average team and went on a run of 7 wins in 8 games kickstarted by the 6-0 win at Boston.

Not quite 7 from 8, but we won 10 and drew 2 of our opening 13 games of the 21/22 season (before things famously went for a massive shít until the nights started to pull out again). It was a very un-Hursty start to the season, mind.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 77
Tommy
September 27, 2023, 9:05pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Poojah

Not quite 7 from 8, but we won 10 and drew 2 of our opening 13 games of the 21/22 season (before things famously went for a massive shít until the nights started to pull out again). It was a very un-Hursty start to the season, mind.

You forget how crazy that season was don't you. The focus is often on the unbelievable sequence of events in the play offs. But what an odd season, with how you say we started the season in the first 13 games, flying. Then 2 or 3 months of being seemingly allergic to winning a game of football. And then a couple of statement wins kickstarting a bit of a revival and finishing the season with respectable but not outstanding form to get into one of the lowest play off positions.

An outsider looking at our results that season would be forgiven for thinking we had 3 different managers that season, such was the clear contrast in each third of the season. Which again, is very un-Hurst like, as he's generally a consistent sort of manager.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 77
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › AB/PH comparisons

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.