7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Stranger in the Park
February 18, 2023, 11:04am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: -193
Gold Stars: 8
Am I missing something? Since his return to GTFC he has hardly had a touch in the first team, yet he has remained match fit by his inclusion on the bench. Some would cite his age but there are others playing of similar age. Given the recent struggles in the defence against the more physical sides I would have thought that his no-nonsense style and love of a battle would have been just the antidote to the fourth-division cloggers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Hagrid
February 18, 2023, 11:10am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,530
Gold Stars: 544
He isnt good enough to be a League 2 footballer. Simple
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 64
Poojah
February 18, 2023, 11:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +30,045
Gold Stars: 1,535
You are missing nothing. Shaun is 33, and has played 4 minutes of football in League Two since 2017. His only meaningful football this season has been in the National League North.

I love Shaun Pearson. He was a shimmer of light during some very dark days for this club, but I suspect he would tell you himself that he’s no longer up to playing EFL football at this stage in his career. Still a good character to have around the squad no doubt, which I suspect is why he is back with us.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 64
Stranger in the Park
February 18, 2023, 11:36am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: -193
Gold Stars: 8
Sorry but can't agree. Firstly he hasn't played enough to qualify his current abilities and secondly  Div 2 football is sh1te anyway.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 64
jaygy
February 18, 2023, 11:55am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
I think us getting promoted back tk the FL effectively ended his playing career with us, thats not a bad thing though as I feel he was brought here with more ideas than just playing football. He will hopefully be here a long time in the future but I don't think we will see him playing much first team football anymore for us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 64
mrsd
February 18, 2023, 5:20pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +144
Shaun's a great sub, coaching from the line while 'warming up' and berating officials as only he can 😀
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 64
diehardmariner
February 18, 2023, 5:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,755
Quoted from jaygy
I think us getting promoted back tk the FL effectively ended his playing career with us, thats not a bad thing though as I feel he was brought here with more ideas than just playing football. He will hopefully be here a long time in the future but I don't think we will see him playing much first team football anymore for us

Yep. I don't think Hurst or anyone at the club really expected the club to bounce straight back. Pearson was brought in almost to be part of that stabilising effect on the club.

Alas, we know how last year went.

Personally think he's been sent out to pasture too soon but there's almost the argument that there's a host of really good players ahead of him.

Ironically, at half-time today I was saying our out-of-sorts defence could do with a Pearson in there to sort it out. Second half they more than sorted themselves out.

I'll be amazed if his GTFC employment ends when either his playing career or contract with us expires.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 64
HertsGTFC
February 18, 2023, 5:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,074
Gold Stars: 238
Quoted from Poojah
You are missing nothing. Shaun is 33, and has played 4 minutes of football in League Two since 2017. His only meaningful football this season has been in the National League North.

I love Shaun Pearson. He was a shimmer of light during some very dark days for this club, but I suspect he would tell you himself that he’s no longer up to playing EFL football at this stage in his career. Still a good character to have around the squad no doubt, which I suspect is why he is back with us.

Shaun being Shaun he’d back himself if needed though for sure.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 64
aldi_01
February 18, 2023, 5:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Whilst I’ve no doubt he’d like to play, simple fact is, he isn’t good enough. I think it was clear last time we came up that he wasn’t quite good enough but he offers a lot to the club and the players.

He’s clearly interested in a career in coaching so I’m sure he’s learning his craft here too…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 64
DB
February 18, 2023, 5:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.36
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,065
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from aldi_01
Whilst I’ve no doubt he’d like to play, simple fact is, he isn’t good enough. I think it was clear last time we came up that he wasn’t quite good enough but he offers a lot to the club and the players.

He’s clearly interested in a career in coaching so I’m sure he’s learning his craft here too…

I think it's now about what he can give and do for the club in the future, not what he has done. I'm sure he'll be a good coach.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 64
Kris2
February 18, 2023, 6:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Seems like another Ben Davies to me who is getting experience in coaching and giving advice on the side lines while also being a backup player with lots of experience who can come on if called upon. Probably winding down his career at this point, I'm sure every footballer wants to play but at this point in his career he'd have to drop pretty far down to do so.

He has only one season of experience in L2 previously with us and he dropped down to NL level again right after, he did okay after Danny Collins came in and Josh Gowling got dropped but that doesn't mean at this point in his career he can be a first choice in L2. There were reasons that Wrexham were prepared to let him leave after the money came in because they could bring in players with experience higher up. I'm sure he's just a good person to have around helping out and it doesn't look like he's complaining.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 64
NewtoN
February 18, 2023, 6:56pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +207
Gold Stars: 5
I’ve seen he is off to America to play for Wrexham legends in the summer so he’ll be on his way. Double promotion with us on his CV. Will go down as a legend, along with Macca and Disley

Up the Mariners, Up the Broadley!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 64
Caveman
February 18, 2023, 7:06pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +771
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from Kris2
Seems like another Ben Davies to me who is getting experience in coaching and giving advice on the side lines while also being a backup player with lots of experience who can come on if called upon. Probably winding down his career at this point, I'm sure every footballer wants to play but at this point in his career he'd have to drop pretty far down to do so.

He has only one season of experience in L2 previously with us and he dropped down to NL level again right after, he did okay after Danny Collins came in and Josh Gowling got dropped but that doesn't mean at this point in his career he can be a first choice in L2. There were reasons that Wrexham were prepared to let him leave after the money came in because they could bring in players with experience higher up. I'm sure he's just a good person to have around helping out and it doesn't look like he's complaining.

I'll bet Wrexham were wishing he was defending crosses for them
in the play-offs against Town.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 64
RichMariner
February 18, 2023, 10:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,171
Gold Stars: 212
He's an interesting case. Solid as a rock for us in the NL first time round, yet was behind Toto and Gowling when we actually went up.

Had a great spell at Wrexham, didn't expect we'd see him back again!

It makes you wonder what his value is beyond the first team. I think he's good enough to keep first teamers on their toes. I also wonder how much of an effect he's had on the experience and development of Smith.

Plus, we all know how great he is as an ambassador of the club in and around the community.

We've got a good set of lads behind the scenes — Pearson, Davies, Coke and Croudson... fantastic examples for all our younger players. Well, players of any age and experience!

After all he'd given us during the seasons when we tried and failed to get out of the NL, I'd have been a bit sad that I didn't get to play more of a role in our promotion. But we never once heard a bad word from him in the press. Not a whinge or a regret or anything.

So when he chose to re-sign for us, under Hursty, who had him behind Toto and Gowling, he must have known he perhaps wouldn't be first choice every game.

It's no secret he wants a career in football after retiring from playing. He's got a sensible head on his shoulders and probably sees his time with us now as the perfect opportunity to learn and beef up his CV.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 13 - 64
bawarmy
February 18, 2023, 10:16pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +2,021
Gold Stars: 33
Shaun is a fantastic person and a great ambassador for the club. He needs to be kept on in Some role when he retires.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 64
The Yard Dog
February 18, 2023, 10:29pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,521
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from bawarmy
Shaun is a fantastic person and a great ambassador for the club. He needs to be kept on in Some role when he retires.

Often bump into Shaun In Tesco's always got time to chat, top bloke.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 64
moosey_club
February 18, 2023, 10:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,335
Gold Stars: 229
Kept on for his insider info and general good egg around the camp.
Like Scannell, seems to have a contract based on his personality, character, influence...not saying that's a bad thing as he clearly seems to be a decent pro.

However, loyalties aside, should we be paying wages for players who really aren't ever going to threaten the first team ?

Love his passion and commitment but in a black and white world , can we afford to pay someone as a player who really isnt going to play?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 64
ginnywings
February 18, 2023, 11:00pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from moosey_club
Kept on for his insider info and general good egg around the camp.
Like Scannell, seems to have a contract based on his personality, character, influence...not saying that's a bad thing as he clearly seems to be a decent pro.

However, loyalties aside, should we be paying wages for players who really aren't ever going to threaten the first team ?

Love his passion and commitment but in a black and white world , can we afford to pay someone as a player who really isnt going to play?

We gave him a 2 year deal when we were in the National League, which is fair enough, but we unexpectedly came up first time and he was suddenly surplus to requirements. His contract is up in June, so it's a moot point.

If we have some dead rubber games at the end of the season, he'll probably get a run out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 64
bradzmilne
February 19, 2023, 8:06am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,433
Gold Stars: 30
Although you can’t do it for every player.

Shaun is someone that I would like to see involved with the club once his playing days are over & I suspect that this was a part of his offer when returning to the club.

Epitomises everything that a footballer should be, both on and away from the pitch.

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 64
Rick12
February 19, 2023, 8:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
I remember watching Shaun Pearson  in the national league play for Grimsby ( I can't get to many games due to other factors, commitments) and being impressed by his commitment and passion. I remember coming away from the game thinking he was one of Grimsbys best players due to this. Having said that now Grimsby are in league 2 kind of makes sense from some comments on here that there is a level up in quality and Shaun needs more in his locker apart from commitment and passion  to nail down a spot in the first Grimsby 11?.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 64
lukeo
February 19, 2023, 9:43am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,419
Gold Stars: 149
I can only assume the club have offered him something long term off the pitch as let's be honest, he had it cushty at Wrexham. Very similar to his time here the 1st time around- He was loved and well thought of due to his commitment on and off the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 64
Rick12
February 19, 2023, 11:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from lukeo
I can only assume the club have offered him something long term off the pitch as let's be honest, he had it cushty at Wrexham. Very similar to his time here the 1st time around- He was loved and well thought of due to his commitment on and off the pitch.
To be honest with you Lukeo I love players like Shaun. That battling spirit on the pitch. It's nice to see when that effort is appreciated by fans and they have some success at their respective clubs be it Grimsby or Wrexham as in Shauns  case. What I would  add is the uncertainty of lower league football can't be easy for him especially as his wife from what I've read has tailored her life around him . That and he also has children to look after. I hope he has something lined up or has been working towards something whilst playing once his football career is over. Sometimes from what I gather players in the lower league try to squeeze as much out of football as possible eg living in rented accommodation up and down the country whilst seeing there family as and when whereas others get fed up and just retire not prepared to continue with the  stresses of it all.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 64
Abdul19
February 19, 2023, 12:29pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,629
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from lukeo

They only offered him a one year deal though, so not that cushty.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 64
lukeo
February 19, 2023, 1:36pm
Season Ticket Holder
I obviously don't know the in's and outs but every video I see he is always smiling and buzzing, he's always doing community work etc. Love him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 64
heppy88
February 19, 2023, 2:00pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
If I remember rightly Shaun was captain at Wrexham when he left. He had also been offered another contract with the Robins. Personally think its a shame he hasn't received more game time this season, as lets face it, in some of the games his inclusion couldn't of made the performance any worse! I wouldn't be surprised if a part of him doesn't regret leaving Wrexham when he did, as at least his time on the pitch wouldn't have diminished to next to nothing. Shaun certainly has the ability, as we all saw. But more than ability he demonstrated a passion and persistence that has often been missing since his first stint at the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 64
Heisenberg
February 19, 2023, 2:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,114
Gold Stars: 97
I think he’s great, and I’m surprised how blunt some of the criticism is of him on this thread.

Obviously Hurst has him down the pecking order, but I think he’s a good deputy. He’s a player nearer to the Waterfall mould than the others.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 64
aldi_01
February 20, 2023, 6:46am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from heppy88
If I remember rightly Shaun was captain at Wrexham when he left. He had also been offered another contract with the Robins. Personally think its a shame he hasn't received more game time this season, as lets face it, in some of the games his inclusion couldn't of made the performance any worse! I wouldn't be surprised if a part of him doesn't regret leaving Wrexham when he did, as at least his time on the pitch wouldn't have diminished to next to nothing. Shaun certainly has the ability, as we all saw. But more than ability he demonstrated a passion and persistence that has often been missing since his first stint at the club.

We’ve all seen how we swooped in and got him, they didn’t put up too much of a fight and he didn’t seem to need too long to decide to come back here…

He’s have known he wasn’t first choice here but there’s wider opportunities you’d imagine, not to mention he doesn’t have to work with Parkinson which must be a blessing.

Shaun is great on and off the pitch but if anyone thinks Pearson is a regular starter over Smith/Waterfall and Maher they’re on glue. Even he knows he’s not that good.

When we came up in 2016 there were times he struggled, there was talk of him going higher yet the offers that came in were from the conference…

He’s a great bloke to have around the place and when we’re 1-0 up at Southampton next week and we’re holding on, he’s your man but other than that, he’s just a valuable squad player.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 64
Jarmo.Is.God
February 20, 2023, 8:29am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Shaun is a great leader, even when not on the pitch.
He's a vital part of the squad, despite not playing IMO.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 64
toontown
February 20, 2023, 12:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,267
Gold Stars: 70
Has shaun got 8 years with the club now? That's a helluva long time in the modern game, even if it is over 2 spells
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 64
bawarmy
February 20, 2023, 1:42pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +2,021
Gold Stars: 33
I hope he is kept on in some capacity. He is a fantastic ambassador for the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 64
diehardmariner
February 20, 2023, 3:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

When we came up in 2016 there were times he struggled, there was talk of him going higher yet the offers that came in were from the conference…

I don't think he did struggle to be honest.  No more so than Waterfall and Smith have at times this season.  We always looked a better bet with him in the team than we did Josh Gowling, who really did struggle which was a huge surprise, or the returning Andrew Boyce.  For his first test at League Two level, I don't think he did too badly at all.

We had 3 managers that season, 4 if you include Dave Moore's caretaker cameo, yet all 3 permanent managers ended up bringing him back into the side having started their tenures (or season) with him on the bench.  Perhaps he wasn't the prettiest of defenders but he brought something that they all valued.

The transition from the 2016 play-off team to the 2016 Football League team was one that should have improved.  Pearson, as with a few others, was someone who we failed to improve on.  Equally so the following summer we absolutely didn't improve on him and dramatically downgraded by bringing in Nathan Clarke and Karleigh Osbourne!

Private Message
Reply: 30 - 64
ginnywings
February 20, 2023, 5:05pm

Recovering Alcoholic
I remember listening to a Town game featuring Shaun in league 2 when Buckley was co commentating and he said something along he lines of "he's a great defender when everything is in front of him, but he isn't sharp enough or quick enough to react when he gets turned and will probably never go higher than that level because of it".

Seems he was correct in his assessment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 64
chaos33
February 20, 2023, 5:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,016
Gold Stars: 362
That’s possibly true but I just think he’s an immense and lovable character - honest, passionate, supportive. Definitely someone you’d want on your staff. He barely gets a kick but he goes round the squad, encouraging, praising individuals. Putting himself second and the cause first. I think those qualities are rare. He’s been a brilliant servant and representative of this club and personifies our values.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 64
ginnywings
February 20, 2023, 5:39pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from chaos33
That’s possibly true but I just think he’s an immense and lovable character - honest, passionate, supportive. Definitely someone you’d want on your staff. He barely gets a kick but he goes round the squad, encouraging, praising individuals. Putting himself second and the cause first. I think those qualities are rare. He’s been a brilliant servant and representative of this club and personifies our values.

Agree with that wholeheartedly.

Whatever level you are good enough to reach in football, honesty and effort are always good traits to have and not all players apply themselves like Shaun does.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 64
rancido
February 20, 2023, 6:04pm

Special Brew Drinker
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,667
Gold Stars: 102
The way he engages with the community, especially with young players, would make him a great asset with our youth set-up.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 64
diehardmariner
February 21, 2023, 9:54am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
I remember listening to a Town game featuring Shaun in league 2 when Buckley was co commentating and he said something along he lines of "he's a great defender when everything is in front of him, but he isn't sharp enough or quick enough to react when he gets turned and will probably never go higher than that level because of it".

Seems he was correct in his assessment.

I think that's very fair.  But of pretty much every defender at this level too. Pearson, as with with Waterfall, would have played consistently at a higher level if he was faster.  It's what sets Smith apart from both of them, whilst not the finished product he'll have a very, very good career because he's got those extra attributes.

I think Pearson and Waterfall are sometimes unfairly labelled as just stoppers.  I don't doubt they see everything that the likes of Smith do, it's just they don't have the speed to react to it as quickly and effectively as he does.  Classic example of McAtee's equaliser against Solihull last June.  Smith read the play and stepped up to intercept the pass, using his speed as much as his awareness to turn the play over.  Pearson, Waterfall et al. would more often than not have stayed put because there's a higher risk of them not getting in front quick enough and getting rolled.

I hope we get to see Pearson at least one last time in a Town shirt.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 64
chaos33
February 21, 2023, 10:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Would be great if we gave him a testimonial when he stops playing.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 64
monkeyboy
February 21, 2023, 2:31pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Shaun has been a great asset which in all honesty should have played for us a lot more than he did.
Not one person ever heard him grumble that i know of and is a consumate profesional, a real player for the younger ones to look upto.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 64
Posh Harry
February 24, 2023, 7:31am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,376
Gold Stars: 36
Random Shaun news.

He has been named in a Wrexham squad to play in a 7 a side tournament in the USA alongside Ryan reynolds and the other bloke, and some former Wrexham players or coaches.

Tells you how much he is thought of over there as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 64
Poojah
February 24, 2023, 8:21am
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +30,045
Gold Stars: 1,535
Quoted from Posh Harry
Random Shaun news.

He has been named in a Wrexham squad to play in a 7 a side tournament in the USA alongside Ryan reynolds and the other bloke, and some former Wrexham players or coaches.

Tells you how much he is thought of over there as well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64752979

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 64
chaos33
February 24, 2023, 8:32am
Barley Wine Drinker
That’s brilliant for him.
Will always be one of my favourite people to play for GTFC. Sure Wrexham fans feel the same.
There aren’t too many like Shaun Pearson.  Absolute diamond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 64
Limerick Mariner
February 24, 2023, 9:05am
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,781
Gold Stars: 138
Notable that he was the player that was interviewed by BBC on the launch of the Regulator. I'd like to think there is a long term role for him with us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 64
ivanosandwich
February 24, 2023, 9:39am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 17
Has the club agreed to release him for this?

It's Cup Final weekend.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 64
chicaneuk
February 24, 2023, 10:37am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,486
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from ivanosandwich
Has the club agreed to release him for this?

It's Cup Final weekend.

If he's getting hardly any game time anyway, I don't see why they wouldn't.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 64
heppy88
February 24, 2023, 11:06am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Quoted from chicaneuk

If he's getting hardly any game time anyway, I don't see why they wouldn't.

This post made my morning, thanks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 64
moosey_club
February 24, 2023, 11:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
See Wrexham have just bought Barnett from Solihull to boost their failing attack ..🙄

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 64
Heisenberg
February 24, 2023, 11:29pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club
See Wrexham have just bought Barnett from Solihull to boost their failing attack ..🙄

I was impressed with him in the playoff final and wanted us to sign him, but again Wrexham get their man. Makes you wonder if jamey osborne has warned Solihull players off joining us. Of course, Hurst might not have been interested, but he certainly was in Dallas, and rumours suggest Sbarra too.

Disappointed he’s there, but not in the slightest bit surprised. If they go up, Dallas will be there too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 64
SouthLakesMariner
February 24, 2023, 11:30pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +945
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from chaos33

If there was a new entry into the English Oxford Dictionary for “Pearson”, this would be the definition.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 64
Maringer
February 25, 2023, 8:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,702
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from Heisenberg

I was impressed with him in the playoff final and wanted us to sign him, but again Wrexham get their man. Makes you wonder if jamey osborne has warned Solihull players off joining us. Of course, Hurst might not have been interested, but he certainly was in Dallas, and rumours suggest Sbarra too.

Disappointed he’s there, but not in the slightest bit surprised. If they go up, Dallas will be there too.

He looked a real handful against us last season. Whether or not we were interested in him, you'd imagine that Wrexham are probably paying him at least double what we could afford.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 64
HertsGTFC
February 25, 2023, 12:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,074
Gold Stars: 238
Quoted from Heisenberg

Solihull are 12 in the National league I’m not sure this obsession with their players is as warranted as some believe.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 64
oochiad
February 25, 2023, 12:34pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,727
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Solihull are 12 in the National league I’m not sure this obsession with their players is as warranted as some believe.

Well said. I don’t get it either. If they’re that good they wouldn’t be doing so badly this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 64
tashee69
February 25, 2023, 1:03pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Whilst I agree to some extent, you also have to remember that Clive Mendonca , Danny Coyne and John McDermott were all involved in relegation seasons with Grimsby. They weren’t too bad.

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 64
ska face
February 25, 2023, 1:20pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,846
Gold Stars: 854
Weren’t we meant to have been close to signing Barnett last season (summer ‘21) but he went to Solihull for more money? Would’ve been at Shrewsbury when Mcatee was there, Hurst gave them both their first pro contracts.

Either way, sure he’ll be on a proper wedge and will be enjoying a promotion this summer.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 64
BeijingMariner
February 25, 2023, 1:41pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,677
You can have a lot of individually talented players but it might not get you what you want as a team. Just look at Paul Mullin, for example, he's the best faller downerer I have ever seen, but Wrexham are still in the National League.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 53 - 64
golfer
February 25, 2023, 1:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.28
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Pell
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 64
ginnywings
February 25, 2023, 1:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from BeijingMariner
You can have a lot of individually talented players but it might not get you what you want as a team. Just look at Paul Mullin, for example, he's the best faller downerer I have ever seen, but Wrexham are still in the National League.

Dunno!.

We had a pretty good faller downerer ourselves once.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 64
BeijingMariner
February 25, 2023, 2:24pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,677
Quoted from ginnywings

Dunno!.

We had a pretty good faller downerer ourselves once.

I was keeping an eye on the scores in NL last week and when Scunny went one down it was a penalty, socred by, surprise surprise, Paul Mullin. It's literally evey week. You might be right though, who was our best faller downerer?
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 56 - 64
promotion plaice
February 25, 2023, 2:49pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 201
Quoted from BeijingMariner

I was keeping an eye on the scores in NL last week and when Scunny went one down it was a penalty, socred by, surprise surprise, Paul Mullin. It's literally evey week. You might be right though, who was our best faller downerer?

Jack Lester?

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 64
lukeo
February 25, 2023, 2:55pm
Season Ticket Holder
Dorking 20/1 to win at Wrexham

Wtf
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 64
moosey_club
February 25, 2023, 10:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from promotion plaice

Jack Lester?

Jack was a very clever player and tended to roll over the leg of his marker as he spun them...he would probably get a pen every week if he was in this era...Mullin initiates contact by throwing himself across a challenge or an incoming player....clever I suppose as it works but it's fcking cheating

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 64
ginnywings
February 25, 2023, 10:08pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from promotion plaice

Jack Lester?

Aye!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 64
Limerick Mariner
February 25, 2023, 11:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,781
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from ginnywings

Aye!

And with better referee’s than the Sunday league refs that Mullins wins penalties off as well.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 64
grimsby pete
February 26, 2023, 2:50am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,841
Gold Stars: 222
Be honest if Mullins played for us would you complain if he got pens for us. ?

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 64
Heisenberg
February 26, 2023, 7:36am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
Be honest if Mullins played for us would you complain if he got pens for us. ?

I would if we kept bloody missing them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 64
Mayaman
February 26, 2023, 8:26am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,455
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from SouthLakesMariner

If there was a new entry into the English Oxford Dictionary for “Pearson”, this would be the definition.

I tell you something; I'd like colleagues that are half the person Pearson is.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 64
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Shaun Pearson

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.