Norseman
February 15, 2023, 11:51pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +277
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from Les Brechin

I wouldn't say Carlisle is more remote then Grimsby. It has the M6 running past it just a few miles away. Barrow maybe, but I wouldn't class Carlisle as MORE remote.

It is more remote in distance from footballing hubs .Couple of hours north on Manchester .Manchester to GY is about the same .Also hell of a lot further north from the Midlands and the south than we are
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 97
RonMariner
February 16, 2023, 9:35am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.43
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,953
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from HerveJosse

Bobby. Cumming 5ft 7 or 8 was the hardest footballer I have seen as Norman Hunter or Alan Clarke would no doubt testify if they were still alive. Pre Buckley era.

I agree about Bob. And Allan Clarke can still testify to the fact. He’s still alive!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 97
diehardmariner
February 16, 2023, 9:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,873
Gold Stars: 551
Few years out of date but this should give an idea as to how isolated and far from other populations Carlisle is.

https://luminocity3d.org/indexRetina.html#population_density_2011/8/54.570/-2.791
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 97
DB
February 16, 2023, 11:08am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.31
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,072
Gold Stars: 392
Quoted from diehardmariner
Few years out of date but this should give an idea as to how isolated and far from other populations Carlisle is.

https://luminocity3d.org/indexRetina.html#population_density_2011/8/54.570/-2.791

Your map also highlights the significant conurbations where players can live, not move home, and hardly incur any travelling costs in terms of time and money between moving clubs. The location of Grimsby shows how far away we are, yes there is the M180 but a 2 hours trip from your home is probably 5 gallons per day, say 4 days a week @ (say) £6.50 is £130 per week for (say) 45 weeks is over £5,000 per year. Plus the extra 4 hours per day travelling, 16 hours a week additional time away from your family for just travelling.

Whilst some on here say travelling is not a problem for them the above, approximate figures, just illustrate the situation we have with regard to location. Some will say players are on good money, but it's a short career, and £5,000+ will certainly pay for a good family holiday in the summer without adding to a family budget.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 97
Poojah
February 16, 2023, 11:24am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +30,124
Gold Stars: 1,549
Quoted from DB

Your map also highlights the significant conurbations where players can live, not move home, and hardly incur any travelling costs in terms of time and money between moving clubs. The location of Grimsby shows how far away we are, yes there is the M180 but a 2 hours trip from your home is probably 5 gallons per day, say 4 days a week @ (say) £6.50 is £130 per week for (say) 45 weeks is over £5,000 per year. Plus the extra 4 hours per day travelling, 16 hours a week additional time away from your family for just travelling.

Whilst some on here say travelling is not a problem for them the above, approximate figures, just illustrate the situation we have with regard to location. Some will say players are on good money, but it's a short career, and £5,000+ will certainly pay for a good family holiday in the summer without adding to a family budget.

I’d argue our location is not optimal, but not necessarily completely sub-optimal either. At the present moment, Carlisle, Exeter and Plymouth (though admittedly a larger population) are doing alright. Norwich certainly ain’t an easy commute.

Football careers aren’t like regular careers. For a player at League Two level, there are likely no more than 10 or 15 realistic employers for a player at a given time, spread throughout the country. I think there’s a realistic understanding that you either have to move on a regular basis, or commit to a decent commute for large spells of your career. The latter can be tempered by the fact that the working day for a footballer is shorter than most.

If you look at the map below, there is a sizeable strip of dense population from Leeds down to Leicester that falls within a two hour drive of Grimsby. Granted, there may be other clubs within that same region that may be competing for the same players, but not that many at this moment in time (with most clubs playing at a higher level).

For me, that’s a fair pool of talent to be fishing in, plus the odd player outside of it who may be willing to relocate. This isn’t an argument that our location is perfect; it isn’t. But it’s also not that bad either, and factors such as money, reputation, facilities and perceived likelihood of success are all in front of geography as a blocker, in my opinion.

[img]https://preview.redd.it/population-density-map-england-v0-x73ycn8qys7a1.jpg?auto=webp&s=0ca1bc7b80634f70ed8be06ceec10367c3b33493[/img]

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 97
lew chaterleys lover
February 16, 2023, 11:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,822
Gold Stars: 239
Quoted from Poojah

I’d argue our location is not optimal, but not necessarily completely sub-optimal either. At the present moment, Carlisle, Exeter and Plymouth (though admittedly a larger population) are doing alright. Norwich certainly ain’t an easy commute.

Football careers aren’t like regular careers. For a player at League Two level, there are likely no more than 10 or 15 realistic employers for a player at a given time, spread throughout the country. I think there’s a realistic understanding that you either have to move on a regular basis, or commit to a decent commute for large spells of your career. The latter can be tempered by the fact that the working day for a footballer is shorter than most.

If you look at the map below, there is a sizeable strip of dense population from Leeds down to Leicester that falls within a two hour drive of Grimsby. Granted, there may be other clubs within that same region that may be competing for the same players, but not that many at this moment in time (with most clubs playing at a higher level).

For me, that’s a fair pool of talent to be fishing in, plus the odd player outside of it who may be willing to relocate. This isn’t an argument that our location is perfect; it isn’t. But it’s also not that bad either, and factors such as money, reputation, facilities and perceived likelihood of success are all in front of geography as a blocker, in my opinion.

[img]https://preview.redd.it/population-density-map-england-v0-x73ycn8qys7a1.jpg?auto=webp&s=0ca1bc7b80634f70ed8be06ceec10367c3b33493[/img]

I agree with so much of what you say, but I really don't think there is a problem except on the margins. Just look at where our current squad have come from with their previous clubs - all over the UK.

The margins involve players who might have better offers, usually financial and of course they won't come if we can't match wages.
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 97
MuddyWaters
February 16, 2023, 11:43am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,294
Gold Stars: 236

I agree with so much of what you say, but I really don't think there is a problem except on the margins. Just look at where our current squad have come from with their previous clubs - all over the UK.

The margins involve players who might have better offers, usually financial and of course they won't come if we can't match wages.

I don't think matching wages is enough. If you live an hour's drive plus away, you're far more likely to sign for a club half an hour away for the same money.
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 97
lew chaterleys lover
February 16, 2023, 11:52am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I don't think matching wages is enough. If you live an hour's drive plus away, you're far more likely to sign for a club half an hour away for the same money.

But that applies to so many other locations because it depends where you are starting from and the offers you get!

What we need to know is the percentage of players who relocate compared to the amount of players who prefer not to move.

Looking at our current squad who we signed from all over the UK you have to assume most of them have relocated or come to arrangements to suit them.
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 97
diehardmariner
February 16, 2023, 12:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,873
Gold Stars: 551
Muddy Waters has nailed it.  

Forget the players who relocate from miles away, the majority of our signings will come from a commutable distance.  From nearly all points of the country with significant populations, there are many more football clubs at this level that are closer to them than us.

Even if we offer comparative wages, it makes it a hard sell to ask someone to travel an extra xx minutes a day.
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 97
lew chaterleys lover
February 16, 2023, 1:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
Muddy Waters has nailed it.  

Forget the players who relocate from miles away, the majority of our signings will come from a commutable distance.  From nearly all points of the country with significant populations, there are many more football clubs at this level that are closer to them than us.

Even if we offer comparative wages, it makes it a hard sell to ask someone to travel an extra xx minutes a day.

How come we sign so many players from far afield then? They are in a diffrent situation but Scunthorpe have been signing players by the shed load and one today from Yeovil. Not a location hot spot is Scunny.

The main issue is wages, like it is for the majority of us. If in demand players get better offers they will go there.

Private Message
Reply: 89 - 97
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.