Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 67 Guests

Just back (merged)

This thread currently has 10,387 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
lukeo
December 30, 2022, 5:50am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,419
Gold Stars: 149
I'm confused about why Alex Hunt isn't playing? We pay a fee for him and he disappears..
In truth I don't think overall we played that badly but losing 4 1 at home is not acceptable and it's also not acceptable to make 3 subs at half time that are actually more defensive minded when you're 3 goals down. Felt Green was quite poor and was an easy sub for me, Clifton wasn't quite himself so I understand that Sub, same with smith.
If it finishes 2 1 I don't think this massive uproar would be quite so bad but oh well. Deflated and frustrated.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 104
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
December 30, 2022, 7:32am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556
Quoted from lukeo
I'm confused about why Alex Hunt isn't playing? We pay a fee for him and he disappears..
In truth I don't think overall we played that badly but losing 4 1 at home is not acceptable and it's also not acceptable to make 3 subs at half time that are actually more defensive minded when you're 3 goals down. Felt Green was quite poor and was an easy sub for me, Clifton wasn't quite himself so I understand that Sub, same with smith.
If it finishes 2 1 I don't think this massive uproar would be quite so bad but oh well. Deflated and frustrated.

You’ll struggle to find any manager who would make attacking subs at 4-1 down. **

Add in the fact it was a league match, 3 days after the last game and with another match on Sunday and it would be a sensible decision to most.

I’m pretty sure the half-time message was, ‘That was diabolical. Show some pride and don’t lose the second half’.

I get that the home results and recent league performances have been poor. But there are dimwits calling for Hursts’s head having lost 1-4 at home. Imagine if he would have opened up in the second half and played 3 upfront; we could easily have been stuffed by 8 or 9. That happened to Hasenhüttl twice and it was used to beat him throughout his time at Southampton, regardless of him managing to keep them up on a limited budget.

The most important thing is to try to regain some control but I’m struggling to remember any Town side in my lifetime overcoming a 3 goal deficit. It was very unlikely to happen.

** e.g. Liverpool 3-3 Milan - Benitez brought on Didi Hamann for Steve Finnan at half-time. It was a change of shape rather than an attacking sub and that was a one-off cup final.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 104
Maringer
December 30, 2022, 7:38am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,702
Gold Stars: 189
I'm afraid that I don't get the view of some that Orsi did OK last night. He barely touched the ball and barely got in a position to make it hard for the defender to do a job. The difference struck me in the dying minutes of the game when their sub striker won a free-kick down our right by battling for possession and holding off the defender to draw a foul. I didn't remember seeing Orsi do that once in all his time on the pitch. An ephemeral presence.

It might be that he's a finisher who needs to play off somebody up front but there is little point in him being on the pitch of we don't have a focal point. Next game, I'd be looking to play Kiernan and McAtee up front as we know that Kiernan will at least do the running to cause defenders problems and keep them moving. Whether this will be enough to create enough of a threat or not, I don't know, but bunging Orsi on in the hope the ball reaches him in a good position doesn't seem much more than wishful thinking.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 104
cannylad65
December 30, 2022, 8:40am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: +76
Gold Stars: 7
I fail to see all this optimism of signing new players in January.

The type of player that we really need to 'improve' the team, will either be unavailable, or not prepared to come to Grimsby.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 104
HertsGTFC
December 30, 2022, 8:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,074
Gold Stars: 238
Re the question of ambition just follow this down a bit and Jason who is one of the "4 replies" is pretty clear on the matter.

https://twitter.com/ryancollins1987/status/1608070334384672770?s=21&t=8PXhunv9b3vyNQwykMEoeA

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 104
sam gy
December 30, 2022, 9:09am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,481
Gold Stars: 56
Thought Orsi looked off the pace in an attacking sense - not sharp at all, and not reactive to a few possible half chances, which is understandable given how little he’s played this season. Probably harsh to judge.

Khan continues to look a decent signing, shame he was on his own in that sense.

I don’t understand why so much of our play has to go down the right, when Glennon and Khan are more than capable going forward. Efete didn’t have a great game as has been touched on, but he does see a lot of the ball and is used as one of our main outlets.

Big jan window needed, but we are not in a good position to be making decent signings now….lower end of the table, on a terrible run of form and just lost 1-4 at home.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 104
lukeo
December 30, 2022, 9:27am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,419
Gold Stars: 149
I don't think a big transfer window is needed. We just need another forward player and for Hurst to give the players more freedom and play the likes of Hunt who are creative.
I try to look at things from all sides and I'm sure his argument back would be if we had hunt, clifton and mcatee in the middle 3/behind striker it'd be too light weight for this division
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 104
HertsGTFC
December 30, 2022, 9:30am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,074
Gold Stars: 238
Quoted from lukeo
I don't think a big transfer window is needed. We just need another forward player and for Hurst to give the players more freedom and play the likes of Hunt who are creative.
I try to look at things from all sides and I'm sure his argument back would be if we had hunt, clifton and mcatee in the middle 3/behind striker it'd be too light weight for this division

So you're happy with our current defensive personnel?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 104
cannylad65
December 30, 2022, 9:32am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: +76
Gold Stars: 7
For all the critcism of Orsi, who would the knowledgeable ones suggest playing in front of McAtee?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 104
lew chaterleys lover
December 30, 2022, 9:41am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,810
Gold Stars: 239
Quoted from cannylad65
For all the critcism of Orsi, who would the knowledgeable ones suggest playing in front of McAtee?

A new centre forward brought in on the 1st January with a bit of luck!

This will be revealing - not only if we get the reinforcements we need but when. We have known the problem for a long time so it will be beyond disappointing if January drifts on without getting the hold up player we need.

I think that will solve a lot of our current travails - getting the ball to stick up top to take some pressure off.
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 104
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.