November 2, 2022, 1:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from forza ivano
my Torquay chum says he played really well and made a big difference

I'm really hoping this could be like Vernam's loan to Chorley, which was beneficial to all. Be great to get the lad back, fit and firing and then improve us in the new year.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 63
lew chaterleys lover
November 2, 2022, 5:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,809
Gold Stars: 239
Quoted from Mariner_09

I'm really hoping this could be like Vernam's loan to Chorley, which was beneficial to all. Be great to get the lad back, fit and firing and then improve us in the new year.

He is fit. Hurst doesn't fancy him the same as he doesn't fancy JMD.

I would like to know his thought process of bringing in clever, skilful wingers but then not playing them instead preferring hard working players.

Khan will go the same way if he doesn't spend more time defending than attacking.

This is one reason we don't score enough goals or create enough chances.

I wonder if Wearne played well last night because he could concentrate on what he does best - attacking and making chances?
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 63
pontoonlew
November 2, 2022, 5:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,105
Gold Stars: 181

I would like to know his thought process of bringing in clever, skilful wingers but then not playing them instead preferring hard working players.

Khan will go the same way if he doesn't spend more time defending than attacking.

I wonder if Wearne played well last night because he could concentrate on what he does best - attacking and making chances?

I really want to agree but it’s hard to argue with it when it’s proven relatively successful to have players who contribute to other aspects of the game.

I do wonder what would happen if Hurst just gave it a go and released the shackles a bit, it worked with McAtee.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 63
lew chaterleys lover
November 2, 2022, 6:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew

I really want to agree but it’s hard to argue with it when it’s proven relatively successful to have players who contribute to other aspects of the game.

I do wonder what would happen if Hurst just gave it a go and released the shackles a bit, it worked with McAtee.

It is a difficult one to call and he has a lot to weigh up but he invariably ditches the flair players. Obviously McAtee is on a different level and has got the lot but it makes you wonder why he doesn't just accept he always prefers grafters and puts his efforts in signing better versions of those.

If it is working and we are successful I don't care what style of football we play - if he wants to be pragmatic and gets results then great but every season we seem to get a lot of players but a seemingly high percentage never seem to get a run doing the things we signed them for.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 63
Croxton
November 2, 2022, 7:50pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,020
Gold Stars: 35

Khan should be o.k. then. He tracked back loads in the Stockport and Bradford games and helped Glennon out a lot. Only one goal conceded in the last three games when Khan was on the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 63
Maringer
November 2, 2022, 7:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,703
Gold Stars: 189
I'm sorry, but every single player we sign should be willing to put in a proper shift. Look at the top level players in the modern day and you'll barely find one who isn't working his nuts off every game. It's one of the reasons why they are successful (in addition to the skill levels, of course).

JMD tends to look as though he's a bit half-arsed when he's supposed to be defending and, from the little I've seen of him, Wearne looks pretty similar in that area as well. Reminded me a bit of Tilley - obvious skill but very lightweight.

On the other hand, I think Khan looks like he is willing to do the running and has certainly got stuck in when I've seen him play.

For all the criticism of Hurst's failure to play the wingers which we do sign, you'd have to say that most of them don't exactly have glittering careers once they move on from BP. 4th division wingers tend to be limited in one way or another and I think what we're seeing is pretty typical for all but the highest-spending of teams.

Lots of quick and athletic wide men whose final ball or shot isn't often good enough (Sousa, Kiernan, Colbeck etc - Clifton as well, I suppose). A number of skilful players who are lacking defensively or in terms of work rate or in terms of physical prowess (JMD and perhaps Wearne. Bapaga as well, I suppose). Players with the potential to be a handful but who struggle with fitness issues and so barely have an impact (Wright and Scannell from recent seasons).

At this level, you're doing well if you can get a player who doesn't fit into one of these categories and, if you find one, you don't tend to keep them for very long.

Hopefully, Wearne will play himself into some form and come back a changed player, but this doesn't tend to happen very often, unfortunately.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 63
lew chaterleys lover
November 2, 2022, 8:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
I'm sorry, but every single player we sign should be willing to put in a proper shift. Look at the top level players in the modern day and you'll barely find one who isn't working his nuts off every game. It's one of the reasons why they are successful (in addition to the skill levels, of course).

JMD tends to look as though he's a bit half-arsed when he's supposed to be defending and, from the little I've seen of him, Wearne looks pretty similar in that area as well. Reminded me a bit of Tilley - obvious skill but very lightweight.

On the other hand, I think Khan looks like he is willing to do the running and has certainly got stuck in when I've seen him play.

For all the criticism of Hurst's failure to play the wingers which we do sign, you'd have to say that most of them don't exactly have glittering careers once they move on from BP. 4th division wingers tend to be limited in one way or another and I think what we're seeing is pretty typical for all but the highest-spending of teams.

Lots of quick and athletic wide men whose final ball or shot isn't often good enough (Sousa, Kiernan, Colbeck etc - Clifton as well, I suppose). A number of skilful players who are lacking defensively or in terms of work rate or in terms of physical prowess (JMD and perhaps Wearne. Bapaga as well, I suppose). Players with the potential to be a handful but who struggle with fitness issues and so barely have an impact (Wright and Scannell from recent seasons).

At this level, you're doing well if you can get a player who doesn't fit into one of these categories and, if you find one, you don't tend to keep them for very long.

Hopefully, Wearne will play himself into some form and come back a changed player, but this doesn't tend to happen very often, unfortunately.

It is not as easy as you think to turn players into Duracell bunnies who have based their careers on their ability rather than endeavour.

They have to work hard to get the ball, they have to work hard to create chances and sometimes take them. It is a very tough ask to also work hard as an auxiliary full back.

If Hurst keeps signing these type of players thinking he can turn them into hard working machines It isn't working. My main point is why DOES he keep signing them when his research would tell him they are more flair than endeavour?
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 63
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
November 2, 2022, 8:28pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556
Contrary to wacky conspiracy theories, Paul Hurst enjoys his job and wants to preserve it. The best way to do that is to win football matches. The easiest way to win football matches is to keep a clean sheet.

I don’t know JMD and Wearne personally so can’t comment on their respective attitudes but both of them strike me as better going forward than in reverse. In Wearne’s case, in the limited first team chances he has been given so far, his attacking threat hasn’t been consistent enough to negate his defensive limitations.

I’m expecting all of this sort of cräp over the next few weeks when so called England fans start burning effigies of Gareth Southgate because he refuses to pick James Maddison. On talent alone, Maddison walks into this England team but the one thing he’s reliable at is being a complete bell end. Maddison’s the sort of player who gets his manager the sack. I think it was the 5-2 thrashing against Brighton, Maddison gave the ball away deep in his own half, shirked a challenge then trotted back like an entitled Gen-Z cûnt, allowing Brighton to score their fourth or fifth.

Now, I’m not saying JMD and Wearne are like that but there’s usually a reason someone as level headed as Hurst doesn’t pick someone. You won’t have much of a career at Grimsby unless you are willing to work and chances are you won’t have much of a career full stop.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 63
lew chaterleys lover
November 2, 2022, 8:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Contrary to wacky conspiracy theories, Paul Hurst enjoys his job and wants to preserve it. The best way to do that is to win football matches. The easiest way to win football matches is to keep a clean sheet.

I don’t know JMD and Wearne personally so can’t comment on their respective attitudes but both of them strike me as better going forward than in reverse. In Wearne’s case, in the limited first team chances he has been given so far, his attacking threat hasn’t been consistent enough to negate his defensive limitations.

I’m expecting all of this sort of cräp over the next few weeks when so called England fans start burning effigies of Gareth Southgate because he refuses to pick James Maddison. On talent alone, Maddison walks into this England team but the one thing he’s reliable at is being a complete bell end. Maddison’s the sort of player who gets his manager the sack. I think it was the 5-2 thrashing against Brighton, Maddison gave the ball away deep in his own half, shirked a challenge then trotted back like an entitled Gen-Z cûnt, allowing Brighton to score their fourth or fifth.

Now, I’m not saying JMD and Wearne are like that but there’s usually a reason someone as level headed as Hurst doesn’t pick someone. You won’t have much of a career at Grimsby unless you are willing to work and chances are you won’t have much of a career full stop.

That's all fair enough but can someone tell me after all the due diligence that is supposed to take place and they " have to be right fit" mantra why we keep signing flair players that don't work hard enough?

How many players has Hurst got through now? Can't even remember most of em.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wearne to Torquay

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.