Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › And so it begins....
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 82 Guests

And so it begins....

This thread currently has 14,487 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
chipsandgravy
September 1, 2022, 1:23pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,647
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from ska face
“Incredibly poor” is it now?! Seems to be a new consensus that built up at the back end of the summer and he’s somehow managed to get worse as the season has gone on despite hardly playing.

There is a balance, and I don’t expect our wingers and attacking players to be spectacular at the back too. At the minute we’re playing 1 up top, 1 just in front of the back 4, a DM in Green just behind the striker, another CM in Clifton on the wing, might as well have another DM in goal and be done with it.

We’re lacking creativity and quality, it’d be criminal to let him go without a decent replacement coming in.

It is an interesting debate on JMD and can easily see both sides of the augument. He has without doubt got  some creative skill in his locker- which we don't have in abundance at the moment. However I can firmly see why Hurst doesn't pick him. Tuesday night was a prime example of it with Derby exploiting our defensive weakness. Time and time I have seen him let a player waltz round him without much effort putting the team under pressure. Trouble is it can be followed by a killer pass resulting in a goal which we also saw on Tuesday. Would be sad to see him leave though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 77
mariner91
September 1, 2022, 1:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,919
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from ska face
“Incredibly poor” is it now?! Seems to be a new consensus that built up at the back end of the summer and he’s somehow managed to get worse as the season has gone on despite hardly playing.

There is a balance, and I don’t expect our wingers and attacking players to be spectacular at the back too. At the minute we’re playing 1 up top, 1 just in front of the back 4, a DM in Green just behind the striker, another CM in Clifton on the wing, might as well have another DM in goal and be done with it.

We’re lacking creativity and quality, it’d be criminal to let him go without a decent replacement coming in.

Yeah I'd argue that he is incredibly poor defensively and for a manager who prioritises keeping things tight and always being in the game he doesn't offer anywhere near enough protection to his fullback. Even in the play off final, my non-Town supporting mate kept mentioning how lazy he was defensively. Obviously he then played a part in the equaliser with some quick, clever thinking and was in the right place for the winner but there were numerous occasions before that where Cropper was left isolated and against more clinical opposition situations like that can easily lead to goals. Same against Northampton, scored a tap in but then immediately failed to even stand up to opponents attacking twice in the space of two minutes. Turned his back both times allowing them free attempts at putting the ball in which, if they'd been better, could have lost us the game. It will have been noticed by Hurst and I'd suggest may have played a part in him getting little playing time since then.

I agree that we don't have much in the way of creativity and it would be a shame to lose him without getting in an adequate replacement. But what's frustrating is that he offers a lot going forward but is just totally unwilling to do the absolute basics defensively. I would suggest this is why, despite his obvious talents and attributes, he's spent most of his career in the NL or as a bit part player in the FL.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 77
headingly_mariner
September 1, 2022, 1:51pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,408
Gold Stars: 124
He'll have to do something If he wants to be a regular starter anywhere JMD. Maybe a position change either number 10 or upfront, but at the minute he doesn't do enough without the ball in an attacking or defensive sense.

He clearly has a wand of a left foot and gets himself in goal scoring positions. He's not going to start though, I think that's clear.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 77
pontoonlew
September 1, 2022, 1:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,126
Gold Stars: 182
Quoted from mariner91

There's a balance to be had though and JMD is incredibly poor defensively.

So what? He’s an attacking player, you can’t have every single player picked on their defensive capabilities
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 77
Hagrid
September 1, 2022, 1:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,530
Gold Stars: 547
Quoted from mariner91

Yeah I'd argue that he is incredibly poor defensively and for a manager who prioritises keeping things tight and always being in the game he doesn't offer anywhere near enough protection to his fullback. Even in the play off final, my non-Town supporting mate kept mentioning how lazy he was defensively. Obviously he then played a part in the equaliser with some quick, clever thinking and was in the right place for the winner but there were numerous occasions before that where Cropper was left isolated and against more clinical opposition situations like that can easily lead to goals. Same against Northampton, scored a tap in but then immediately failed to even stand up to opponents attacking twice in the space of two minutes. Turned his back both times allowing them free attempts at putting the ball in which, if they'd been better, could have lost us the game. It will have been noticed by Hurst and I'd suggest may have played a part in him getting little playing time since then.

I agree that we don't have much in the way of creativity and it would be a shame to lose him without getting in an adequate replacement. But what's frustrating is that he offers a lot going forward but is just totally unwilling to do the absolute basics defensively. I would suggest this is why, despite his obvious talents and attributes, he's spent most of his career in the NL or as a bit part player in the FL.

JMD Came on 4 minutes before we equalised......

think your being incredibly harsh regarding the final, i can only think of Sbarra getting in once on that right hand side
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 77
mariner91
September 1, 2022, 2:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,919
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from pontoonlew

So what? He’s an attacking player, you can’t have every single player picked on their defensive capabilities

So there has to be a balance. Do his attacking strengths outweigh his defensive shortcomings? Clearly in PH's mind they don't.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 77
ginnywings
September 1, 2022, 2:09pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.00
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,157
Gold Stars: 548
Doesn't really matter what we think of the JMD situation. If PH finds him lacking in certain areas and isn't going to give him regular football, then I suspect he will want to go somewhere where he gets more minutes.

The best players don't only have the most talent, they tend to work harder too. We can say that he should be given free rein and others do his defending, but it don't work like that anymore in the game.

Shame really as he's a match winner and a crowd pleaser and like most fans, I'm always happy to see him on the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 77
ska face
September 1, 2022, 2:12pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,958
Gold Stars: 857
Suggestion on the Wednesday board that we’ve offered £100k and they’re holding out for more. Not sure anyone’s explained to them they’re dealing with someone from Yorkshire, they might have to whistle for it.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 77
MarinerDevil
September 1, 2022, 2:16pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,806
Gold Stars: 81
I'd surprised if we were spending £100k on a position that isn't a priority right now. Don't get me wrong though, would love to see that kind of investment in the squad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 77
Poojah
September 1, 2022, 2:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +30,115
Gold Stars: 1,548
Quoted from Hagrid

JMD Came on 4 minutes before we equalised......

think your being incredibly harsh regarding the final, i can only think of Sbarra getting in once on that right hand side

Our shape leading up to their goal was terrible. Watch from 2:40 below.

Sousa too central and making little effort to do anything in a defensive sense, Cropper essentially too far forward and where Sousa should be, Holohan completely failing to track back and pick up Dallas’ run into the box, with Smith suckered out of position as a result, leaving 5ft 10” Danny Amos marking the tallest man in the world for what amounted to a free header.

Easy to nit pick watching footage back in hindsight, but any one of the following would have prevented that goal from happening:

a) Sousa and Cropper being in their correct positions at the outset

b) Holohan tracking the Dallas run

c) Sousa busting a gut to get in front of Sbarra to block the cross

I’m very much in the ‘JMD in’ camp but I can kind of understand why Hurst might have a bit of a complex about things like this. They’re simple things that shouldn’t be that difficult for a National League / League Two player to execute. It’s about concentration, work ethic and to a lesser degree fitness.

If we get the basics wrong too often at this level we will be punished, make no mistake.

https://youtu.be/jAacmo3kTN4

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 77
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › And so it begins....

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.