Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back on the Train.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 74 Guests

Just Back on the Train.

This thread currently has 12,836 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
August 28, 2022, 2:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,074
Gold Stars: 238
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

That was more the Board than Buckley, a bunch of rank amateurs and the world was changing, people were expecting better facilities and Blundell Park was already very shabby. On top of that the area was declining rapidly, incomes were very low, and Gy and Clee completely missed out on the new Labour splurge that Hull got. Nothing AB could have done about that.

It’s a fair point in the time of Alec King, John Newman, George etc… the players where in the factories, schools and presentation evenings etc.that got the club some massive good will after getting relegated. That all seemed to stop as some of the industry started to shrink.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 73
Poojah
August 28, 2022, 3:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +30,045
Gold Stars: 1,535
Yesterday was my first game of the season and therefore the first time I’ve had the pleasure of watching a League Two game in the flesh since that ominous day at Scunny in March 2020. From the off, it was obvious that this is a step up from the NL; the athleticism, pace, speed of thought of the players is noticeably greater. That’s something we need to afford our players, particularly those like the much-maligned Efete who haven’t played at this level before, some time to get to grips with.

We certainly started slowly and if you can deserve to be a goal down after 5 minutes then we did. However, despite the sub-par performance in the first half I thought we came into the game and had the better of possession despite not looking particularly threatening. We keep the ball well and look competitive in midfield, I think we’ll dominate teams more often than not in that respect (60% possession away at one of the division’s stronger sides is testament to that). Green looks every bit the enforcer, and whilst it’s clear he’ll concede his share of free kicks (often unfairly) I think we’ll get a lot of value out of him.

Second half was a massive improvement and in the end we looked good value for our win. It’s refreshing to see a Paul Hurst in the dugout capable of changing things and altering the complexion of the game; something I felt was one of his biggest weaknesses in his first spell. His growth as a manager and a man is absolutely remarkable.

I wasn’t sure what to expect from Pepple given mixed reviews so far but I thought he really added something. He put an excellent cross into the box for Clifton’s equaliser and was involved in the winner. I was quietly impressed.

For balance, you have to note that they spurned at least two good chances with the score at 1-0. Though one came about through a Smith slip they did get through us a little easily on occasion, which I’m sure will have been noted and reviewed. Better finishing could have seen a different outcome, as was the case at Rochdale.

Finally, Max Crocombe. Probably our lowest key signing of last summer and one I initially chalked off as just another Jonathan Hedge or Ben Killip. I thought he looked understandably nervy when he first got the nod over Macca last year but boy has he grown into that shirt and made it his own. He was faultless yesterday; commanding, assured in everything he did and you can sell the defence has complete confidence in him. There’s a save in the first half which is included in the highlights but just don’t do it justice. He got a big hand on the shot which looked destined for the roof of the net to tip it over the net, it was top drawer.

A tough game at Newport on Saturday, but we have 4 home league games in September, with only one opponent (Crewe) having achieved a higher PPG than us so far. It’s a really good opportunity to make a statement and set the tone for the season. Only 2 votes out of 100 on their forum predicted a Walsall defeat before yesterday’s game. Even accounting for fan bias, it’s clear we’re not yet taken seriously on account of our Fenty years captitulations. I think that could change rather quickly. The circus can now be found 30 miles down the A180. This is New Grimsby.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 73
headingly_mariner
August 28, 2022, 3:50pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,408
Gold Stars: 124
I have read some people are unhappy with the policing. Might be worth looking at the footage of the game, I was watching on the telly and could see coppers on the fans side of the hoardings pushing people about. Looked a little uncalled for
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 73
Mayaman
August 28, 2022, 3:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,455
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Mariner_09

Re the Town fans, it was as fractious and impatient as I have seen/heard Town fans in the post-Covid era. Very quickly some started getting very frustrated and downright unreasonable on occasion. Michee was coming in for unfair stick, people seemed to have a problem with him. For example, when Glennon shanked a ball clean out of play, it was applauded, when Michee did similar he was met with a rapture of shouting and histrionics, which I thought was unfair and strange

Berating the player won't do his confidence much good but TBF he was shocking.  Played a hospital ball to Smith who then conceded a dangerous free kick.  He improved in the second period but still not great.   Had loads of opps to go on the overlap but didn't take them.   We need to get behind him to get his confidence.   back.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 73
HertsGTFC
August 28, 2022, 4:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,074
Gold Stars: 238
Quoted from Poojah
Yesterday was my first game of the season and therefore the first time I’ve had the pleasure of watching a League Two game in the flesh since that ominous day at Scunny in March 2020. From the off, it was obvious that this is a step up from the NL; the athleticism, pace, speed of thought of the players is noticeably greater. That’s something we need to afford our players, particularly those like the much-maligned Efete who haven’t played at this level before, some time to get to grips with.

We certainly started slowly and if you can deserve to be a goal down after 5 minutes then we did. However, despite the sub-par performance in the first half I thought we came into the game and had the better of possession despite not looking particularly threatening. We keep the ball well and look competitive in midfield, I think we’ll dominate teams more often than not in that respect (60% possession away at one of the division’s stronger sides is testament to that). Green looks every bit the enforcer, and whilst it’s clear he’ll concede his share of free kicks (often unfairly) I think we’ll get a lot of value out of him.

Second half was a massive improvement and in the end we looked good value for our win. It’s refreshing to see a Paul Hurst in the dugout capable of changing things and altering the complexion of the game; something I felt was one of his biggest weaknesses in his first spell. His growth as a manager and a man is absolutely remarkable.

I wasn’t sure what to expect from Pepple given mixed reviews so far but I thought he really added something. He put an excellent cross into the box for Clifton’s equaliser and was involved in the winner. I was quietly impressed.

For balance, you have to note that they spurned at least two good chances with the score at 1-0. Though one came about through a Smith slip they did get through us a little easily on occasion, which I’m sure will have been noted and reviewed. Better finishing could have seen a different outcome, as was the case at Rochdale.

Finally, Max Crocombe. Probably our lowest key signing of last summer and one I initially chalked off as just another Jonathan Hedge or Ben Killip. I thought he looked understandably nervy when he first got the nod over Macca last year but boy has he grown into that shirt and made it his own. He was faultless yesterday; commanding, assured in everything he did and you can sell the defence has complete confidence in him. There’s a save in the first half which is included in the highlights but just don’t do it justice. He got a big hand on the shot which looked destined for the roof of the net to tip it over the net, it was top drawer.

A tough game at Newport on Saturday, but we have 4 home league games in September, with only one opponent (Crewe) having achieved a higher PPG than us so far. It’s a really good opportunity to make a statement and set the tone for the season. Only 2 votes out of 100 on their forum predicted a Walsall defeat before yesterday’s game. Even accounting for fan bias, it’s clear we’re not yet taken seriously on account of our Fenty years captitulations. I think that could change rather quickly. The circus can now be found 30 miles down the A180. This is New Grimsby.

I was thinking this morning that we’ve had a decent start, if we’d have won the Carlisle game we’d possibly be in a play off position now, but that’s pure football supporter “ifs” ….. we all do it though.

I also think that this week is crucial if we can add Hunt or similar and the mythical striker then we could start to get noticed a bit more. Christmas could see McAtee back and we’ve also got Scannell, Maher and Khan.

If your a Town supporter at the moment you have the right to be massively optimistic about our future on and off the pitch.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 73
Mariner_09
August 28, 2022, 4:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Mayaman

Berating the player won't do his confidence much good but TBF he was shocking.  Played a hospital ball to Smith who then conceded a dangerous free kick.  He improved in the second period but still not great.   Had loads of opps to go on the overlap but didn't take them.   We need to get behind him to get his confidence.   back.  

He wasn’t at his best yesterday granted. He did improve in the second half and did take on their left back 2-3 times, and had the beating of him. He’s done well in the early stages of the season, wonder if because he doesn’t have Cropper’s monster throw, people feel he needs to be outstanding in every aspect. He’s put numerous good balls in, played some really nice quick passing moves around the box. I was merely commenting on the contrast between how he and Glennon were treated. A Michee at full tilt is a right handful

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 73
ginnywings
August 28, 2022, 4:26pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Poojah

I think a part of this is down to having a better squad now than he had when here first time. Substitutions back then were pretty much like for like and often didn't have an impact, which is why I think at that time he had a reputation for not switching things up quickly enough. He probably felt that those he had to bring on weren't any better or different than what was already on the pitch.

Got us back into the league much quicker this time around than last time and I think that's because he had better backing than before and more options. I also think we have a better squad now than last time he had us in league 2. Not just on the pitch either, but off it as well, we have all the tools needed to make sure we are in top shape and prepared.

We are a different outfit with the new regime, which makes his job easier. He couldn't wait to get out of here in his last spell after not getting the backing he should have from he who shouldn't be mentioned.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 73
TwoLeftFeet
August 28, 2022, 4:26pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,108
Gold Stars: 19
Watching the games this season was wondering if Efete is under instruction not to go on them forward runs so often..
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 73
Limerick Mariner
August 28, 2022, 4:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,781
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
Watching the games this season was wondering if Efete is under instruction not to go on them forward runs so often..

Or is it a confidence thing - after 5 years below EFL level he's looked more tentative about taking players on even though he is well capable of going past defenders? He's a good athlete and I think he still has potential to develop yet, he's got improve his decision making at this level though; in the final third with cover behind - have a go at taking the player on and getting into the box, but don't feck around with it in our back third or when we are exposed behind.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 73
Limerick Mariner
August 28, 2022, 5:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,781
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from Poojah

Great account; but did you get a pint or two in the Black Country Arms?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 73
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back on the Train.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.