DB
July 15, 2022, 7:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.31
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,073
Gold Stars: 392
Quoted from stevethefish
If (the league) are that bothered about Saturday games being streamed, why not charge £20 or something like that for Saturday games. Missed opportunity to grow the overall market, particularly as this season some away games will be all ticket.

Tesco don't say you can buy online only on a Mon - Thurs.

It's called being multi-channel and growing the overall cake for everyone.

I would happily buy a season ticket for all home and away games at full price for access to streaming (aka a double season ticket)

Needs far more thought this from the league.

You have said what most people who cannot attend BP think. I for one have health issues, made an exception for the London stadium but felt cold some of the time. So full streaming at normal admission prices is ok with me.

You do have to ask the question, why are fans with disabilities, who cannot attend games, barred from watching live games all of the time.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 158
BenBB
July 15, 2022, 7:57pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +847
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from stevethefish
Exactly chipsandgravy.

This is why the league are so out of date. It's not about losing/cannabilising sales, its about incremental sales and expanding consumption.to League 2 overall

If you offered fans £20 to watch away games live on a Saturday, those who want to go, will still go for the occasion. Those who may struggle financially to travel would at least be able to participate if they so wished online . You will 100% in zero doubt, grow the pie and income for League 2 clubs

Plus how many people have family members that have moved out of the area, but still have major affinity and means to watch the game online domestically in the UK and would never have any intention of travelling to home games or long distance away games.

As I said, go online and you can double the turnover, by making EVERY GAME accessible and trust me, more money would be spent on Grimsby Town Football Club, on top of record season ticket sales.

Definitely. I live in Scotland near Glasgow so still classed in the UK (for now at least 😁) but a train journey to Blundell Park is 7 hours one way (if you're lucky with Transpennine Express) - could take a flight to Dubai and get there sooner. Closest L2 game is Carlisle. Does it make sense that I can't officially just stream a game?

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 158
FPVmariner
July 15, 2022, 8:05pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from BenBB

Definitely. I live in Scotland near Glasgow so still classed in the UK (for now at least 😁) but a train journey to Blundell Park is 7 hours one way (if you're lucky with Transpennine Express) - could take a flight to Dubai and get there sooner. Closest L2 game is Carlisle. Does it make sense that I can't officially just stream a game?

Two pronged opportunity in my eyes.  A chance for the distant exiles to watch home games on a regular basis, and a chance perhaps for the club to upgrade the TV’s in the bars, McM’s so that away games can be streamed with bar sales/food boosting cash flow.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 158
aldi_01
July 15, 2022, 8:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I understand that there’s an idea that clubs would lose potential income through the turnstiles of games were shown at 3pm on a Saturday but, aside from those clubs doing poorly, I can’t see many losing any, especially at away games.

It feels like away attendances across all divisions and all clubs have gone up, it may be bollcoks but that’s how it feels and perhaps that’s covid thing with people being kept in for months on end. It’s a release now.

However, the plastic, armchair, betting slip, not really arsed meta fans probably wouldn’t bottom themselves to go down BP anyway so if Man Utd are on the tele at 3pm or not, they’d still much rather be in the pub.

Conversely, in the situation of many a real fan of clubs like town, attendance isn’t always an option through work, cost or geography. If clubs can run a platform, provide a service and May be not every game but the vast majority, especially away games, even charging full ticket price, it has to be a way of moving forward. As discussed, I can’t see it taking many of any off of away followings…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 158
Grantham_Mariner
July 15, 2022, 9:24pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,249
Gold Stars: 56
If your ip address is 50 miles or more from the match you should be able to stream it, home or away.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 158
Mikey_345
July 15, 2022, 9:28pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,691
Gold Stars: 118
Can’t see any reason VPNs won’t get around the location issue, like last time we were in the league. Makes no sense for the club to invest massively on building something that beats a VPN. Especially with the ST sales as it’ll have no impact on attendance but also increase revenue. Every club know fans do it, so do the league the sooner this silly rule ends the better.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 158
BenBB
July 15, 2022, 9:33pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +847
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Mikey_345
Makes no sense for the club to invest massively on building something that beats a VPN

They'd have a big trouble trying to do something like that at our size.

Even big companies like Netflix & the BBC (iPlayer) struggle to block VPNs - the VPN providers even offer special servers/services designed to get round the restrictions (because the iPlayer is unavailable usually outside the UK and outsiders want in & Netflix offer exclusive content in other regions).

China built what's known as the "[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Firewall]Great Firewall of China[/url]" to block Western material like Facebook/YouTube and it's been around for decades now, still people manage to get through.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 158
FPVmariner
July 15, 2022, 10:17pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 23
Is the question how do we stop people using VPN to pay the same as ‘local’ fans or why are people who live overseas asked to pay more in the first place.  It doesn’t make sense to me at all, give people a reason to look for a free or cheaper alternative and they’ll look for it.  Give a fair deal in the first place and genuine customers will pay.  Sky and VM spend millions trying to stop piracy but never really succeed, surely finding an acceptable price point is a better approach.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 158
jamesgtfc
July 15, 2022, 10:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -6
Approval: +13,111
Gold Stars: 192
Quoted from Mikey_345
Can’t see any reason VPNs won’t get around the location issue, like last time we were in the league. Makes no sense for the club to invest massively on building something that beats a VPN. Especially with the ST sales as it’ll have no impact on attendance but also increase revenue. Every club know fans do it, so do the league the sooner this silly rule ends the better.

What I think they can do is make sure foreign season passes and match passes for 3PM Saturday games can only be bought on a card registered on foreign shores.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 158
gtfc98
July 15, 2022, 11:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,063
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from BenBB

Let me introduce you to a friend called the Virtual Private Network.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 158
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mariners TV

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.