Reply: 10 - 24
jamesgtfc
July 15, 2021, 9:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -6
Approval: +13,111
Gold Stars: 192
Watching the training videos from the other day Clifton looked to be leading the pack in the runs. To me Scannell looked like he wasn't breaking a sweat and Grant made everything with the ball look easy.

Looking at our front line and wingers though, we've got injury-prone Scannell, Sousa who has been part-time for a long while and then everyone else is 32+ so I think the next couple of forward signings will be a bit younger.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 24
forza ivano
July 15, 2021, 9:44pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,311
Gold Stars: 266
lets hope he's got a bloody good striker lined up, coz i see Stockport have been splashing the cash again

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57856824
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 24
Stew0_0
July 15, 2021, 11:35pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,198
Gold Stars: 35
To me that says....
*  a decent back up keeper to challenge Macca, i.e an Eastwood type signing
*  a cover/first team left back as have no cover at all there.
Would like to see someone like Callum Mcfadzean (ex sunderland)
* a centre midfielder as limited with Fox, Clifton and Coke
An all action, goalscoring leader. Disley-esque
* a proven goalscoring striker. A Bogle or Tshimanga type player

If we sell Grist, and with the money from Pollocks transfer and anything from Dembeles sell ons or appearance add ons we will have the cash to get that striker.
Plenty of free agents out there for the rest.

Personally glad Hendries moved on as thought he had lost a yard of pace last year. Still wish him the best though and may play against him this season, imagining Sousa and/or Grant ripping him a new one.

Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 24
RonMariner
July 15, 2021, 11:41pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.43
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,954
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from forza ivano
lets hope he's got a bloody good striker lined up, coz i see Stockport have been splashing the cash again

Them and Wrexham will be formidable opposition for us.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 24
DB
July 16, 2021, 4:55am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.31
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,073
Gold Stars: 392
Quoted from RonMariner

Splashing the cash is a means of bringing in quality (?) players to a club. This has failed in the past on many occasions, sometimes because the players weren't as good as thought, mercenaries, and the fact they could or would not integrate into a team.

From what I have read about our signings are that they want to be part of a team going places and not payday players. I don't think we will have to fear anybody this season however, the likes of Wrexham and Stockport will be good opposition. This will of course depend upon who turns up, a team, or a busload of individuals.

We must not forget other clubs, the Weymouth's, etc. who will up their game with us, playing a big club and park the bus. We seem to be building a balanced team so I think with the other signings Hurst wants to make promotion is on the cards, but won't be easy.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 24
Jarmo.Is.God
July 16, 2021, 8:08am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from forza ivano

I agree, they've got some very good players at this level.

But when big names/characters don't get picked, and form drops, it can quickly turn sour.
However, you don't need to have the best squad, to win the league.

Only time will tell
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 24
Posh Harry
July 16, 2021, 8:43am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,376
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from RonMariner

I think anyone who finishes above Stockport wins the league with the players they have, although football is not played on paper and big signings usually means big egos even at this level so if they don’t mix well as a group you never know.

A bit of time to go, but not overly concerned about Wrexham at this stage. None of their signings so far would have the hairs standing on the back of my neck, they have lost Shaun and they were pretty average last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 24
Croxton
July 16, 2021, 9:14am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,031
Gold Stars: 35
Quigley will be a real handful in the NL. A mercenary who has found his niche 'for personal reasons'. In the end, as Macca says, you move for money or to be happy. Looks like he's found both.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 24
Zmariner
July 16, 2021, 9:31am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,134
Gold Stars: 44
Desperately hoping for a striker in. As I have repeatedly said you need a lot of points to get out of this division And I do not see a lot of pace in our forward line. The rest of the team looks very solid. A solid team will make the play-offs, strongly offensive team can win the league. Under hurst we have never managed this But he has never been properly back before either. Had a look at this Stockport squad and it just does not look like a team that’s going to lose many games, Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 24
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Latest news from Paul Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.