Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ian Holloway's after match interview.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 84 Guests

Ian Holloway's after match interview.

This thread currently has 8,627 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
arryarryarry
December 16, 2020, 3:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,022
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from RonMariner
He sounded utterly dejected and it will be very difficult for him to motivate the players to perform any better then they are doing.

I think the main problem is not one of motivation, but of quality. We just don't have enough quality players in the team.  We have players making daft mistakes, giving away silly free licks, giving away possession, failing to mark opponents effectively, and picking up needless cards. It's not because they don't want to win. It's because they are just not very good players. I think Gary Croft recently expressed the opinion that several of our players are simply not professional standard.

So why do we have so many of them?  Well it's the same old problem we have had for years. We won't invest the funds needed to attract players who are good enough. Ok, so we could change manager again. Sack the manager for the fourth time in as many years.  But if an incoming manger has to work with this squad what difference would it really make. They would probably be able to bring in a few journeymen that no one else wants. Would that change anything?

Holloway signed a dozen players in close season. So he can't blame anyone  for that, but on the other hand he had to work within a budget which it seems would not allow us to attract enough quality into the squad.  It might have helped if our board were not so hapless that they let one of our most promising players slip through our fingers through administrative incompetence.

Something has to change, and change dramatically if we are not to slip into a desperate relegation fight. I would say that, if possible, we send back the various loanees that are poor performers. Buy out the contracts of our senior injury prone 'strikers' who hardly ever play. This would make room in the playing budget to bring in new blood.

I think we need at least four quality additions to make us anywhere near competitive.  We could do with a new spine of competent, experienced, fit and quality players; a keeper who can dominate their area, a commanding center half,  a creative midfield leader and a forward who is a real goal threat.

The problem is that these players would not be free transfers. For once we would actually have to buy. If the current board are not willing to invest, then we are doomed whoever the manager is.                  

I understand some of the comments you are making but why sign so many untried lower quality players, why not have a smaller squad but with better quality?

Was this policy from the board or IH?
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 47
ska face
December 16, 2020, 3:25pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,968
Gold Stars: 857
Do they think that fans have goldfish memories? It was only in May he said -

“At the end of the day I came here to do a job, to work with somebody, and it was absolutely vital for me that I understood who I was working with. If that changes, then my opinion might change. I am totally committed to the current board. I would have to have a total rethink if that was anyone else.

“I made a massive commitment to come to Grimsby. I know I am totally committed to the people I am currently working with. That’s the only promise I will give. If that changes, everything changes. I would sit down and rethink on what I am doing because I have to believe in who I am doing it with and why they are doing it.”

“At the moment, I have total faith in the club and what we are doing”

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/grimsby-town-holloway-shutes-takeover-4162182

Then last night he’s called for someone else to come and buy the club -

“If anybody wants to buy the club, they know what to do, they should contact John Fenty, nobody else.

“Contact the board properly. It’s there to do it, so stop dancing around, in my opinion, and just do it.”

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.c.....tter_impression=true

It’s always been a mystery why he would invest £100k in the club to me. I think I’ve an idea why, given the last few days, but I’ll let other people make that connection for themselves.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 47
moosey_club
December 16, 2020, 6:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,335
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from arryarryarry

Did you expect him to lie?

well.........he is on the board  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 47
pen penfras
December 17, 2020, 10:11am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -120
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from ska face
Do they think that fans have goldfish memories? It was only in May he said -

“At the end of the day I came here to do a job, to work with somebody, and it was absolutely vital for me that I understood who I was working with. If that changes, then my opinion might change. I am totally committed to the current board. I would have to have a total rethink if that was anyone else.

“I made a massive commitment to come to Grimsby. I know I am totally committed to the people I am currently working with. That’s the only promise I will give. If that changes, everything changes. I would sit down and rethink on what I am doing because I have to believe in who I am doing it with and why they are doing it.”

“At the moment, I have total faith in the club and what we are doing”

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/grimsby-town-holloway-shutes-takeover-4162182

Then last night he’s called for someone else to come and buy the club -

“If anybody wants to buy the club, they know what to do, they should contact John Fenty, nobody else.

“Contact the board properly. It’s there to do it, so stop dancing around, in my opinion, and just do it.”

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.c.....tter_impression=true

It’s always been a mystery why he would invest £100k in the club to me. I think I’ve an idea why, given the last few days, but I’ll let other people make that connection for themselves.

He's probably saying, "if you want to buy the club, they why are you ringing me when I don't actually own any of it yet."

I hope Shutes does take over, because the club needs a change, but the way he's gone about things certainly has a serpentine nature.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 47
ginnywings
December 17, 2020, 10:17am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.00
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,157
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from pen penfras

He's probably saying, "if you want to buy the club, they why are you ringing me when I don't actually own any of it yet."

I hope Shutes does take over, because the club needs a change, but the way he's gone about things certainly has a serpentine nature.

Care to enlighten us because all we have heard from BP towers, is that he is a "tyre kicker". Shutes has said nothing about the takeover as far as I am aware.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 47
toontown
December 17, 2020, 10:17am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,276
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from pen penfras

Wow!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 47
pen penfras
December 17, 2020, 10:21am

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Care to enlighten us because all we have heard from BP towers, is that he is a "tyre kicker". Shutes has said nothing about the takeover as far as I am aware.

Somebody leaked the discussions to the telegraph whilst under a confidentiality agreement. Seems unlikely that Fenty would do that given the excrement storm it created against him. No proof it was Shutes, but he said he would provide something then didn't and this comes along. Seems like a case of trying to force the issue without actually doing what you've agreed. Obviously there's no proof, but Fenty is found guilty of completely made up things, at least this is partly true.

He rang Holloway to try and get him to turn on the board and support his agenda.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 47
pen penfras
December 17, 2020, 10:23am

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from toontown

Wow!

Go back through my posts. I've said that from the very start. It doesn't mean that I should share everybody's view of jumping to conclusions and finding every possible negative with no evidence.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ian Holloway's after match interview.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.