Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Film Club
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 16 Guests

Film Club

This thread currently has 21,597 views. Print
45 Pages Prev ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 Next All Recommend Thread
Sandford1981
April 16, 2023, 7:44am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Ready Player One
7/10

In the year 2045, the real world is a harsh place. The only time Wade Watts (Tye Sheridan) truly feels alive is when he escapes to the OASIS, an immersive virtual universe where most of humanity spends their days. In the OASIS, you can go anywhere, do anything, be anyone--the only limits are your own imagination. The OASIS was created by the brilliant and eccentric James Halliday (Mark Rylance), who left his immense fortune and total control of the Oasis to the winner of a three-part contest he designed to find a worthy heir. When Wade conquers the first challenge of the reality-bending treasure hunt, he and his friends--The High Five--are hurled into a fantastical universe of discovery and danger to save the OASIS.

This is not normally my cup of tea at all but Id heard good things and a mate of mine has been badgering me to see it since it’s release. Anyway, we sat down with the kids and made this our movie night complete with a picnic tea, sweets and popcorn. It’s absolutely a popcorn movie too-it looks good and I thoroughly enjoyed the subtle and not so obvious pop culture references that littered the film. It’s brilliantly done for my money and overall we all liked it to varying degrees but it’s good not great for my money.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 420 - 447
lukeo
April 16, 2023, 9:38am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,397
Gold Stars: 149
Super Mario 9/10

Watched it with my lad last night. Really enjoyed it and it brought back many memories of certain tracks, characters and places on the original game. Very cleverly produced.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 421 - 447
Rick12
May 4, 2023, 3:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Dragonfly (2002)

Supernatural film with a heartwarming message. Kevin Costner starred in this film and plays the part of a doctor who experiences tragedy. Without giving too much away the film evolves into one of messages and meaning often through the natural world culminating in an experience that brings hope at the end.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 422 - 447
Sandford1981
May 6, 2023, 5:36am
Fine Wine Drinker
23 Walks
7.5/10

A gentle, sweet, funny, romantic story of love in later life following a couple in their sixties, Dave and Fern, who get to know one another over the course of 23 dog walks.

As is often the case we plumped for this film after getting bored of scrolling and searching for the perfect movie.
What is to say about this film!? It is a bittersweet, sentimental, sad, gently amusing, realistic and heartwarming affair that is like a Mike Leigh love story.
Alison Steadman and Dave Johns are excellent in this and both were authentic in the playing of their roles.
We really enjoyed this, it’s a film film and it’s full of things to enjoy (and not).

Private Message
Reply: 423 - 447
Sandford1981
May 7, 2023, 3:56pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Mr Jones
8/10

Based on real events, the dramatic thriller "Gareth Jones" chronicles a British investigative journalist as he travels deep into the Soviet Union to uncover an international conspiracy. His life-or-death journey inspires George Orwell's "Animal Farm". The director of the film is Agnieszka Holland.

This is what I would call a proper ‘film film’ and I was impressed by it. I actually think it could have been longer and more evenly spread as a result but that’s being picky and over critical.
It’s a film that relies purely on its subject matter to tell its story and has no bells or whistles and nor should it. James Norton is excellent as the lead and has a good supporting cast too. I like Vanesa Kirby and Peter Sarsgaard is always good value whatever the material.
I’ve had this and Minamata on the list for ages and I think I’ll give that a whirl now.

Private Message
Reply: 424 - 447
Rick12
May 7, 2023, 4:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Sandford1981
Mr Jones
8/10

Based on real events, the dramatic thriller "Gareth Jones" chronicles a British investigative journalist as he travels deep into the Soviet Union to uncover an international conspiracy. His life-or-death journey inspires George Orwell's "Animal Farm". The director of the film is Agnieszka Holland.

Last film I saw.Yes very poignant and harrowing especially when as it turns out Americans were pushing business interests over humanitarian ones.

A film based on real events that I found very gripping and hard hitting was "the boss anatomy of a crime (2014) which is on Netflix. Its about an exploited Argentinian butcher who is pushed to the limit by a unscrupulous boss. You may or may not have seen it but having known Argentinian people personally who migrated to Europe its something that struck very close to home.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 425 - 447
Sandford1981
May 18, 2023, 2:55pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Sisu
7/10

During the last desperate days of WWII, a solitary prospector (Jorma Tommila) crosses paths with Nazis on a scorched-earth retreat in northern Finland. When the Nazis steal his gold, they quickly discover that they have just tangled with no ordinary miner.

Absolute bull5hit but highly entertaining nonetheless. It’s a B movie but with a budget above that station. Low on dialogue with high levels of gratuitous violence and gore, it’s not for the squeamish. There’s a Tarantino vibe to it for sure and hints of Fury Road, John Wick, Rambo and Inglorious Basterds.

Private Message
Reply: 426 - 447
Sandford1981
May 21, 2023, 10:17pm
Fine Wine Drinker
To Catch a Killer
5/10

Baltimore. New Year's Eve. A talented but troubled police officer (Shailene Woodley) is recruited by the FBI's chief investigator (Ben Mendelsohn) to help profile and track down a disturbed individual terrorizing the city.

Storyline is engaging enough and the two main actors do their best but this is not a good film. My best advice is not to bother. We picked it to save time trawling as that’s been successful for us recently but this was all over the place. Rubbish!!

Private Message
Reply: 427 - 447
Sandford1981
May 22, 2023, 7:55am
Fine Wine Drinker
The Killings of  Tony Blair
8/10

The story of Tony Blair's destruction of the Labour Party, his well-remunerated business interests, and the thousands of innocent people who have died following his decision to invade Iraq.

Like with any good Michael Moore documentary you have to consider his politics and agenda and the same can be said here but for George Galloway. However, this factor aside it’s clear that Toby Blair provided enough material himself that this isn’t an ill conceived hatchet job.
It is truly astounding to see what Blair became laid out in front of you when faced with his numerous ‘crimes’ and actual crimes. What an absolute charlatan he was! twit!!

Private Message
Reply: 428 - 447
Sandford1981
May 22, 2023, 4:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Guy RItchie’s The Covenant
8.5/10

During the war in Afghanistan, a local interpreter risks his own life to carry an injured sergeant across miles of grueling terrain.

I thought this was a brilliant film and I thoroughly enjoyed it all, in fact it could have been a bit longer for my money.
Jake Gyllenhaal is as reliable as ever and Dar Salim is also very good. Barring a couple of Needless Ritchieisms this is a departure from his normal style and it’s all the better for it. I think this is worth anyones time.

Private Message
Reply: 429 - 447
45 Pages Prev ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Film Club

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.