Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back..
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 86 Guests

Just back..

This thread currently has 6,023 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Son of Cod
September 6, 2020, 12:36pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,361
Gold Stars: 198
Is anyone particularly arsed about going out? Yeah it's always good to win, but could definitely do without extra games once we get going.

Absolute clanger for their goal, better to get them out of our system in these first two games before Walsall though. Could do without a repeat of those opening day errors we saw against FGR a few seasons ago.

The goal was quality. Great ball from Pollock, Preston did superbly and then Green couldn't have hit that better really considering there were so many defenders near him.

Hopefully Mckeown never takes a pen ever again after that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
September 6, 2020, 1:02pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +944
Gold Stars: 123
Quoted from Son of Cod
Is anyone particularly arsed about going out? Yeah it's always good to win, but could definitely do without extra games once we get going.

That was my thought straight after losing. At least it frees up the calendar for several midweeks in the not too distant future.

Now that a good wodge of teams are out of the Carabao Cup, I wonder if those who lost will still try to organise a few more sneaky friendlies amongst themselves just to build up fitness?

It does make you wonder if Ollie had the idea all along to use it as a 'friendly', and if they were to lose, it would free up three consecutive Tuesdays in September?????

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
September 6, 2020, 1:07pm
Guest User
Quoted from Son of Cod

Absolute clanger for their goal, better to get them out of our system in these first two games before Walsall though. Could do without a repeat of those opening day errors we saw against FGR a few seasons ago.

The goal was quality. Great ball from Pollock, Preston did superbly and then Green couldn't have hit that better really considering there were so many defenders near him.

Hopefully Mckeown never takes a pen ever again after that.

So you don’t fancy playing a big club like Chelsea again?
Reply: 22 - 29
chipsandgravy
September 6, 2020, 1:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,647
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from 28195

At the moment.......no!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
Tommy
September 6, 2020, 1:15pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from 28195

I get ehat you mean, but if we played them whilst no fans or limited fans are allowed in, it wouldn't exactly be much of a money-spinner anyway. Progressing in the FA Cup where we could realistically stay in it till next year when crowds might be allowed in properly would be a better chance of a lucrative cup run.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
Ipswin
September 6, 2020, 1:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
And we didn't need the money?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
Son of Cod
September 6, 2020, 5:18pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,361
Gold Stars: 198
Quoted from 28195

Of course I would but as mentioned in the other reply to this the monetary value of that is less this season plus the likelihood is that we wouldn't be able to take a significant following to any of these types of games in the early rounds of the League cup. Those extra games that we have to play to get that might mean we sacrifice a bit of league form. With the way we've gone about our transfer business so late and cautiously this pre-season, I'd like to think (maybe the eternal optimist in me) that we've factored in the most extreme circumstances, such as the league being cancelled again due to a second COVID wave, and are able to balance the books better than most in our division without needing the speculative prospect of an absolute hammering at Wolves at the expense of league points. I'd be more bothered about going out the FA Cup 1st Round as that might actually be able to give us a decent pay day when the 3rd Round comes around if we can stay in it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
arryarryarry
September 6, 2020, 7:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,022
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Son of Cod

Of course I would but as mentioned in the other reply to this the monetary value of that is less this season plus the likelihood is that we wouldn't be able to take a significant following to any of these types of games in the early rounds of the League cup. Those extra games that we have to play to get that might mean we sacrifice a bit of league form. With the way we've gone about our transfer business so late and cautiously this pre-season, I'd like to think (maybe the eternal optimist in me) that we've factored in the most extreme circumstances, such as the league being cancelled again due to a second COVID wave, and are able to balance the books better than most in our division without needing the speculative prospect of an absolute hammering at Wolves at the expense of league points. I'd be more bothered about going out the FA Cup 1st Round as that might actually be able to give us a decent pay day when the 3rd Round comes around if we can stay in it.

If it was live on TV that would have been a significant amount of money.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
Mallyner
September 7, 2020, 9:16am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from LondonMariner43

I’d be surprised if Green and Tilley are first choice but Scannell looks a cut above.  His ability to control the ball was immense.

I was extremely impressed with Scannell.

I thought Green worked hard and took his goal well and Tilley has potential, but just needs to look up before crossing the ball, which usually ended up at Morecambe defender's feet.

Morecambe had a couple of big black guys who ran powerfully with the ball, turning defence quickly into attack; Pouten, Cockerill types of player we have tried to emulate over many past seasons, without success.

But it's early days yet and perhaps we have one.

UTM  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
sam gy
September 7, 2020, 9:39am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,514
Gold Stars: 56
Shout out to Matt Green, who gets dogs abuse but that was a very good, calm finish to lift it above the defenders and GK like that. Plenty of obstacles in the way!

Looks like the Town faithful have taken to ripping him apart for spelling mistakes on twitter instead, after proving himself on the pitch.

Best supporters in the land? Yawn.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back..

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.