15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
tarka
May 15, 2019, 7:38pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +893
Gold Stars: 29

It’s OK tarka, I agree. I was just making a general comment about Woods.

Yes, I appreciate that. I really don't feel able to pass judgement on the tactical side of things but I do know he found it difficult to attract quality players to the club...whether it was through a lack of contacts or a lack of finance I don't know.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 20 - 147
pen penfras
May 15, 2019, 7:39pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -124
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from cardiffmariner

As has already been said, you shouldn’t  pass comment without listening - you make yourself look foolish. It is a toe-curlingly bad interview that shines a light on what most of us already knew. They took the urine out of every single fan who ever paid their cash to watch them play.

Rather than lambasting Woods, take a minute to question why Fenty ever appointed a manager who was renowned for his drinking antics and, more worryingly, allowed that to then permeate the entire team whilst he was in charge of us.

Fenty and the rest of the board got us relegated to the conference, not Woods.

So renowned for it that his appointment was met with overwhelming approval and optimism amongst the supporters. His previous job at Luton was successful. I don't remember anybody saying we shouldn't have hired that urine head...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 147
Rodley Mariner
May 15, 2019, 7:42pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,279
Gold Stars: 185
The fans didn't hire him though and they weren't responsible for conducting due diligence on him or finding an experienced replacement when it all went mammaries up. He seemed happy to accept responsibility when he came on the pitch after we scraped survival at Dean Court.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 147
Abdul19
May 15, 2019, 7:43pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,629
Gold Stars: 220
I've carried on listening to that and it's the most #ladzladzladz #bantz thing I've ever heard.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 147
MuddyWaters
May 15, 2019, 7:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,291
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from pen penfras

So renowned for it that his appointment was met with overwhelming approval and optimism amongst the supporters. His previous job at Luton was successful. I don't remember anybody saying we shouldn't have hired that urine head...

Are you suggesting that the board weren’t aware of his past? As for the fans being happy with the appointment, it’s the Board’s job to carry out due diligence, not the supporters!
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 147
Chrisblor
May 15, 2019, 7:49pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,988
Gold Stars: 243
If anyone fancies telling Paul what they think about his professionalism, simply google his name and his linkedin profile and contact details pop up.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 147
jonnyboy82
May 15, 2019, 7:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Bloke sounds like a right tool and he can be proud to know he was involved in one of the worst town teams in history.

Well done Paul linwood.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 147
tarka
May 15, 2019, 7:58pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +893
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
The fans didn't hire him though and they weren't responsible for conducting due diligence on him or finding an experienced replacement when it all went mammaries up. He seemed happy to accept responsibility when he came on the pitch after we scraped survival at Dean Court.

In John Fenty's defence Neil Woods wasn't his choice...he wanted Slade (for better or worse!) but was outvoted by the rest of the Board.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 27 - 147
pen penfras
May 15, 2019, 8:01pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -124
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Are you suggesting that the board weren’t aware of his past? As for the fans being happy with the appointment, it’s the Board’s job to carry out due diligence, not the supporters!

I'm sure they were aware of his past where he won league one in 2005 and finished 10th in the championship in 2006. As for the drinking, I don't know. But to say it was widely known is far of the mark, we might think that with hindsight, but nobody was saying it was a bad decision to sign him at the time.

I don't think getting information from other teams within football is as easy as it should be. If clubs were publicising all of the bad points about their former managers, then they'd be getting sued. Plus a manager that publicly criticised his employers the way that Newell did was hardly going to lead to get glowing reviews from them.

Doesn't change that it was a disaster, and if the club knew about the culture, then they are as much to blame for allowing it to continue another season as anybody else
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 147
RoboCod
May 15, 2019, 8:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from pen penfras

Most fans thought'''ooh, he did some stuff at Luton, might be a good hire'
However, such fans generally lack the abilty, contact numbers  and the inclination I'd say to 'phone around' and pick up info on the footy grapvine. Had that been done I'm sure some of Newells less savoury habits and ways would have come to light. When you hire for such responsible positions you do your homework.

Apart from at GTFC where it's always the fans fault.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 147
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Linwood Interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.