Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Some Positives?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Some Positives?

This thread currently has 2,986 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
April 23, 2024, 10:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
I quite like Rodgers bringing the ball out, but he doesn't fill me with confidence when he's gone further than the halfway line if that makes sense?  

In terms of his confidence, he's one of many who had it shot to pieces and Artell has slowly given them it back.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 39
DB
April 23, 2024, 11:53am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.46
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from arryarryarry

Please explain the "Grimsby Way"

If you read my comment I did put a ! ( exclamation mark ) after it. I don't know what it is, do you?, all we know it has been quoted by 1878 I believe.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 39
DB
April 23, 2024, 11:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.46
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from HerveJosse

Is it clear what went wrong last year or is this a narrative that gives those who are here now a fresh start ( including the owners)and those who have gone carry the can ? A common situation in any business. Truth is we don’t know but  the optimists will happily convince themselves the narrative is correct for now at least.

Barring 1 game the season is over. I think we should look forward to a fresh start with some new players. On the other hand, you infer that this is wrong, so how would you like us to start the new season?

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 39
mariner91
April 23, 2024, 1:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,721
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from arryarryarry

Same response as my previous post, we had all this at the start of this season.

We have had 3 sets of managers, a shed load of players and they couldn't even manage 2 league wins in a row. This season nearly ended in a disaster and I don't want it repeated next season. We need a huge clear out of players, backroom staff and yes Artell as well as I don't trust him with what he might do. Reading several comments from Crewe fans he apparently took over a really good squad of players that didn't need improving and he got them promoted. He then started bringing in his choice of players and he took them down.

I would like him to prove me wrong but it is a big gamble as I don't see the owners throwing tens of thousands of pounds on that many new better players.

I would add that when Hurst was sacked we were 4th from bottom, yet here we are with players that Artell brought in and still 4th from bottom.

I think this is exceptionally harsh on multiple points. He took over Crewe when they were 18th in L2 and had won twice in their last 17 games. Hardly a squad of world beaters. The line up for Davis' last game before he was sacked only had three players in it that played their final game before Covid curtailed the 19/20 season at which point Crewe were top of L2. So he's either brought through from the youth team or signed the majority of a squad that got automatic promotion from this division including signing both of the team's top scorers for that promotion winning season. It's always easier when you get good youth players coming through like he was fortunate to do so with Crewe but you've still got to get them used to men's football and playing as a team which he clearly did quite well. Claiming he took over a really good squad three years before their promotion is a complete re-write of history.

Equally so is the disingenuous comment about signing his own players. He had the January transfer window to sign players in which is notoriously difficult. Particularly if you're in a L2 relegation fight as nobody wants relegation out of the league on their CV. Yet two of the players he signed have been two of our three stand out players since January and without them I'm fairly certain we'd have gone down, Thompson particularly. Smith, Hume and Obikwu have also all played a role to a greater or lesser extent as well. That is not a bad hit rate at all given the circumstances.

There are certainly still questions about Artell and my concern would be that he reverts to trying to be Barcelona 2.0 with L2 players without allowing any flexibility for when it's not working. Hopefully the experience since January will have taught him something and he'll be a bit more pragmatic and flexible whilst still attempting to get the team playing more. However, he's earned the right to take us into next season and I suspect we'll be better than we were this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 39
toontown
April 23, 2024, 1:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from diehardmariner
I quite like Rodgers bringing the ball out, but he doesn't fill me with confidence when he's gone further than the halfway line if that makes sense?  

In terms of his confidence, he's one of many who had it shot to pieces and Artell has slowly given them it back.

Well it was Artell that continued shooting it to pieces actually, after a brief improvement under Pearson/Davies. He was then forced to change by the players themselves after results became catastrophic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 39
diehardmariner
April 23, 2024, 1:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Yes, held at gunpoint by his players to change the tactics.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 39
Grantham_Mariner
April 23, 2024, 1:54pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,196
Gold Stars: 51

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 39
Maringer
April 23, 2024, 2:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,642
Gold Stars: 189

I heard that he woke up to find a horse's head in his bed. That was a clear threat by those scheming players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 39
GrimPol
April 23, 2024, 2:01pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -782
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from DB

If you read my comment I did put a ! ( exclamation mark ) after it. I don't know what it is, do you?, all we know it has been quoted by 1878 I believe.

"Grimsby Way"?  I've asked what "Game Model" meant/ was that's been mentioned by 1875, DA and others on this forum, and received loads of X's, either telling me to sod off, or that they were pretending that they knew, and all I was doing is embarrassing them in asking.

The only "Grimsby Way" I know from 2002-3 is mediocrity. This season we have one better and added "Delusion". When we lose heavily "we play much better than the opposition", and when we slip down the League Table, "everything is alright as the Data shows things are positive".
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 39
RonMariner
April 23, 2024, 2:11pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,789
Gold Stars: 226
Artell can’t win can he. If we had gone down it would all be his fault. As we stayed up it’s the players who are to get the credit.

It wasn’t the players who brought in Thompson and Tharme though was it?

He inherited a team with downward momentum heading for the NL and managed to do what Hurst couldn’t in 2021.

Our recent form over 13 game is top ten standard. We have beaten two teams in the top 6, got away points at three other teams in the top ten, and have several clean sheets in the process.  So I think he deserves some credit and has earned the right to take us into next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Some Positives?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.