Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Grimsby Town Finances next season.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Grimsby Town Finances next season.

This thread currently has 1,848 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
April 21, 2024, 9:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,294
Gold Stars: 226
Are there people who still believe that running a football club is profitable?
Fenty tried to be economic year on year and to balance the books.....yes we still have a club but it was pretty much on life support.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 16
Mappers
April 21, 2024, 9:57pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,408
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from moosey_club
Are there people who still believe that running a football club is profitable?
Fenty tried to be economic year on year and to balance the books.....yes we still have a club but it was pretty much on life support.

I think Pettit & Stockwood thought the football regulator was much closer than what realistically is probably the case .

They thought give it a year or two and the hyper inflated market would be improving and the club could be run at close to 'sustainable' whatever that means these days .

They will have to continue to prop the club up for the near term future at least , unless they can find investors which I get the sense they are finding harder than anticipated ; or at least getting 'the right one's ' on board .

It all makes for an interesting summer .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 16
LocalLadGTFC
April 21, 2024, 10:30pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,311
Gold Stars: 137
Already been discussed on a different thread and is very much a closed matter.

Tweet 1781999548170179057 will appear here...
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 12 - 16
Heisenberg
April 21, 2024, 10:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
What’s clear to me is that we, as fans, need to do our bit as much as ever. Renew your ST’s - it just might be fun! Actually, I’m looking forward to it. UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 16
diehardmariner
April 22, 2024, 9:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Club is always going to lose money as it only has one real revenue stream, match day tickets.

The ground doesn't generate anywhere near enough income in the other 330+ days a year.  Added to that the ground is also an absolute money drain.

Well pointed out that it is possible to run a club at a break even or even small profit margin.  But it's incredibly short-term planning and you're only heading one way with it.

Lot of hopes pinned on thinking smarter and the use of data. I'm not saying it's the wrong way (I think it's the right approach and we need a unique advantage) but it's literally all we've got.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 16
DB
April 22, 2024, 11:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.46
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from Yoda
JS worried me with his comments about the finances, we have a sea of back room staff a new CEO coming in on 80k a year record attendance a higher sky payment and we are still struggling.
We must be paying massive money on some deadwood players which JS must of sanctioned.
We must be one of the favourites for the drop next season.

I believe that when 1878 inherited BP it was and is still in need of major refurbishment. I could list them but have debated and chewed over them in previous posts. It shows the total lack of investment over the years by our previous owner in the Stadium and Cheapside.

What could have been done in the past for a few £k now costs £100k's. This impacts what could have been spent on player recruitment. We should be proud of what JS & AP have done for the club and us Fans. They took on a club that was looking as if it was going to the wall in the NL, have given it stability and a good base to build on. Rome wasn't built in a day and it will take years to put right what was not done with the previous owner.

The other thing is that we are not a vanity club like FGR, our new owners are from the Town and want what is best for the club. The future is looking good and it's Black & White.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 16
kevikov
April 22, 2024, 5:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from Bawmariner
Stockwood has clarified that he was referring to the fact we are struggling to break even without additonal investment. Most clubs are in a similar position of having aging infrastructure, significant cost inflation, and a need to compete with clubs being funded by individuals to ridiculous levels. I doubt many clubs in the football league are anywhere near operating at a breakeven level.

As much as I appreciate JS and AP stepping up and taking on the mantle of chairmen, if they were unaware of the financial commitments and general state of play regarding Leavue 2 clubs they shouldn’t have bothered. Hope it’s not a case of its sinking in how tough it is. I get the impression JS at least knows how to read the room so hopefully this is mostly posture and business acumen?

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 16
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Grimsby Town Finances next season.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.