6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
LocalLadGTFC
April 14, 2024, 11:34am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,310
Gold Stars: 137
So i've seen this discussed on Twitter, but for next season these are the players that we have under contract.

Eastwood - 2025
Mullarkey - 2025
Rodgers - 2026
Tharme - 2026
Hunt - 2025
Khouri - 2026
Thompson - 2025
Rose - 2025
Vernam - 2026
Gardner - 2026
Pyke - 2025
Wilson - 2025

I think out of the lads under contract we'll probably only see Pyke and possibly Wilson told they can go elsewhere, I think the rest for me have all shown enough to show that they can contribute to a squad... Never thought i'd say that about our defence after Doncaster but the results since then have been good and the defence have been a major reason for that, we've shut a lot of teams out. The biggest problem area for me is getting competent players in and around Thompson that can do more with the ball and then a good partner for Danny. It will be very interesting to see how Gardner is used as I think he could be a real talent and due to his size could be a real asset. He's took to mens football at Boro like a duck to water. As for the out of contract players, I think Green might have played his way into another year deal but there's nobody else i'd really look at keeping. Been really impressed with Smith since he's come into the side, defensively he's very good.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
toontown
April 14, 2024, 12:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
So i've seen this discussed on Twitter, but for next season these are the players that we have under contract.

Eastwood - 2025
Mullarkey - 2025
Rodgers - 2026
Tharme - 2026
Hunt - 2025
Khouri - 2026
Thompson - 2025
Vernam - 2026
Gardner - 2026
Pyke - 2025
Wilson - 2025

I think out of the lads under contract we'll probably only see Pyke and possibly Wilson told they can go elsewhere, I think the rest for me have all shown enough to show that they can contribute to a squad... Never thought i'd say that about our defence after Doncaster but the results since then have been good and the defence have been a major reason for that, we've shut a lot of teams out. The biggest problem area for me is getting competent players in and around Thompson that can do more with the ball and then a good partner for Danny. It will be very interesting to see how Gardner is used as I think he could be a real talent and due to his size could be a real asset. He's took to mens football at Boro like a duck to water. As for the out of contract players, I think Green might have played his way into another year deal but there's nobody else i'd really look at keeping. Been really impressed with Smith since he's come into the side, defensively he's very good.

You've missed Rose
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 55
HertsGTFC
April 14, 2024, 12:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Eastwood - 2025
Mullarkey - 2025
Rodgers - 2026
Tharme - 2026
Hunt - 2025
Khouri - 2026
Thompson - 2025
Vernam - 2026
Gardner - 2026
Pyke - 2025
Wilson - 2025

Though I’m surprised i think you’re right about Green, Clifton will be offered something I assume. Wilson will be gone, I’m possibly in the minority but don’t think he’s that big a loss.

Haven’t got a clue about Pyke as he’s never fit.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 55
jimgtfc
April 14, 2024, 1:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,096
Gold Stars: 45
Pretty sure Green’s got an option for a years extension.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 55
GollyGTFC
April 14, 2024, 1:57pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,038
Gold Stars: 358
UNDER CONTRACT

Retain for next season

4 Kieran Green (June 2025*)
5 Harvey Rodgers (June 2026)
6 Curtis Thompson (June 2025)
10 Charles Vernam (June 2026)
12 Jake Eastwood (June 2025)
24 Doug Tharme (June 2026)
28 Toby Mullarkey June 2025)
30 Evan Khouri (June 2026)
32 Danny Rose (June 2025)
35 Cameron Gardner (June 2026)

Transfer List

9 Rekeil Pyke (June 2025)
25 Donovan Wilson (June 2025)
29 Alex Hunt (June 2025)

OUT OF CONTRACT

Offer new deal

-

Release

3 Anthony Glennon
7 Abo Eisa
8 Gavan Holohan
11 Otis Khan
14 Arthur Gnahoua
15 Harry Clifton
16 Callum Ainley
22 Danny Amos
33 Denver Hume
31 Niall Maher
34 Aaron Braithwaite
37 Harvey Tomlinson
38 Jamie Bramwell
39 Edwin Essel
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 55
Swansea_Mariner
April 14, 2024, 2:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Of the young lads Bramwell looks the pick to me I think he's definitely worth an extension.

Of the others out of contract only Clifton I  think has shown enough at this level and possibly Ainley based on his previous experience at Crewe would be worth a longer look.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 55
kevikov
April 14, 2024, 2:27pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
I’d look at Hume for another year. I think mullarkey will struggle to get game time if DA goes to his preferred 4-4-2. I wouldn’t offer Clifton another contract. I think he needs another challenge tbf.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 55
Mikey_345
April 14, 2024, 2:35pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,510
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Eastwood - 2025
Mullarkey - 2025
Rodgers - 2026
Tharme - 2026
Hunt - 2025
Khouri - 2026
Thompson - 2025
Rose - 2025
Vernam - 2026
Gardner - 2026
Pyke - 2025
Wilson - 2025

I’m sure Danny Rose was on the original… 😉

One thing I’ve heard a lot of this season is “we’ve signed a load of excrement on long deals”, which just isn’t true when you actually look at it.

Question marks over a couple on the list, for sure, but by and large it’s a decent starting point going into the summer. Gives you scope to bring in 10/11 signings in the summer which most of which would need to be better than what we have already. If we bring in some quality in addition to this list, we’ve seen players many times before improve by just having better players around them.

It’s always going to be evolution rather than revolution and as
Much as some may want us to gut the whole squad, that’s never possible. Footballs a squad game and we will
Need a few that are here already to do a job with that in mind next season.

If I could change that list I’d possibly move on Mullarkey, Hunt and Pyke and keep Glennon (a hill I’m always going to be prepared to die on), Clifton and possibly Gav - just for abit of experience in the squad.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 55
RonMariner
April 14, 2024, 2:38pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,778
Gold Stars: 226
Don’t know what has happened to Gav. He could have had another four goals recently but his finishing has fallen off a cliff.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 55
Heisenberg
April 14, 2024, 3:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from Mikey_345

I’m sure Danny Rose was on the original… 😉

One thing I’ve heard a lot of this season is “we’ve signed a load of excrement on long deals”, which just isn’t true when you actually look at it.

Question marks over a couple on the list, for sure, but by and large it’s a decent starting point going into the summer. Gives you scope to bring in 10/11 signings in the summer which most of which would need to be better than what we have already. If we bring in some quality in addition to this list, we’ve seen players many times before improve by just having better players around them.

It’s always going to be evolution rather than revolution and as
Much as some may want us to gut the whole squad, that’s never possible. Footballs a squad game and we will
Need a few that are here already to do a job with that in mind next season.

If I could change that list I’d possibly move on Mullarkey, Hunt and Pyke and keep Glennon (a hill I’m always going to be prepared to die on), Clifton and possibly Gav - just for abit of experience in the squad.

The BBC had our formation as 3-4-1-2 yesterday. Not sure if that’s accurate, but I’ve always wanted us to play that way. If DA were to use that formation for the last 3 games, I’d definitely be trying Glennon out there on the left of the 4 to see how it goes. I still see Vernam as someone who could play that No.10 role.

Mind you, I think DA has made his mind up about quite a few players, Glennon being one of them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 55
Mikey_345
April 14, 2024, 3:26pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Heisenberg

The BBC had our formation as 3-4-1-2 yesterday. Not sure if that’s accurate, but I’ve always wanted us to play that way. If DA were to use that formation for the last 3 games, I’d definitely be trying Glennon out there on the left of the 4 to see how it goes. I still see Vernam as someone who could play that No.10 role.

Mind you, I think DA has made his mind up about quite a few players, Glennon being one of them.

Think you maybe right, which is a shame imo. I remember when he came back into the side after a personal issue and got two motm performances back to back. He gives us so much going forward but has probably been affected more than most with our collective inability to defend - coupled with him struggling this year. Which is surprising as he’s been ok defensively in other seasons.

Hes the sort of player that if you’re decent enough defensively elsewhere you can carry to some extent for what he gives you on the ball (maybe to a lessor extent abit like Trent AA at Liverpool)

There was one interview where DA said he could be as good as he wanted to be. I’d still prefer him, especially in this system, over Hume.

If DA wants to play a possession game I don’t think there’s many LB’s better in this league on the ball and he could maybe do a job further up aswell. I’m aware I maybe in a minority but sometimes you just warm to players and Glennon is mine 😂

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 55
Grantham_Mariner
April 14, 2024, 3:37pm

Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,199
Gold Stars: 51
When we pick up the point we need against Colchester on Tuesday lets see what team DA picks for the remaining two games. Might get an indication of who he will keep and how we will set up.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 55
sonofmadeleymariner
April 14, 2024, 4:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
UNDER CONTRACT

Retain for next season

5 Harvey Rodgers
6 Curtis Thompson
10 Charles Vernam (I'm half in the let-go, because he's always crocked and keep, because he does have the ability to change games)
24 Doug Tharme
28 Toby Mullarkey
30 Evan Khouri
32 Danny Rose
35 Cameron Gardner

Transfer List/let go on a free/pay-off

9 Rekeil Pyke
25 Donovan Wilson
29 Alex Hunt
12 Jake Eastwood
4 Kieran Green

OUT OF CONTRACT

Offer new deal
16 Callum Ainley (Give him a 1 year deal I'd like to see if Artell can get anything out of him)
34 Aaron Braithwaite (Give 1 year deal still a young footballer with plenty of time to grow)
37 Harvey Tomlinson (Give 1 year deal still a young footballer with plenty of time to grow)
38 Jamie Bramwell (Give 1 year deal still a young footballer with plenty of time to grow)

Release

3 Anthony Glennon
7 Abo Eisa
8 Gavan Holohan (I would consider bringing him back for 1 more season if in more of a limited/off-the-bench role)
11 Otis Khan
14 Arthur Gnahoua
15 Harry Clifton
22 Danny Amos
33 Denver Hume
31 Niall Maher
39 Edwin Essel

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 55
HertsGTFC
April 14, 2024, 5:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
UNDER CONTRACT

Retain for next season

5 Harvey Rodgers
6 Curtis Thompson
10 Charles Vernam (I'm half in the let-go, because he's always crocked and keep, because he does have the ability to change games)
24 Doug Tharme
28 Toby Mullarkey
30 Evan Khouri
32 Danny Rose
35 Cameron Gardner

Transfer List/let go on a free/pay-off

9 Rekeil Pyke
25 Donovan Wilson
29 Alex Hunt
12 Jake Eastwood
4 Kieran Green

OUT OF CONTRACT

Offer new deal
16 Callum Ainley (Give him a 1 year deal I'd like to see if Artell can get anything out of him)
34 Aaron Braithwaite (Give 1 year deal still a young footballer with plenty of time to grow)
37 Harvey Tomlinson (Give 1 year deal still a young footballer with plenty of time to grow)
38 Jamie Bramwell (Give 1 year deal still a young footballer with plenty of time to grow)

Release

3 Anthony Glennon
7 Abo Eisa
8 Gavan Holohan (I would consider bringing him back for 1 more season if in more of a limited/off-the-bench role)
11 Otis Khan
14 Arthur Gnahoua
15 Harry Clifton
22 Danny Amos
33 Denver Hume
31 Niall Maher
39 Edwin Essel

I think Gav now has a coaching qualification so I suspect this might be the season when he looks to pursue that path somewhere. He’s a top bloke but nothing this season tells me he’s L2 standard any longer.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 55
Grimsby69
April 14, 2024, 6:14pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +11
The problem with not offering Clifton a contract for next season would mean we would not be able loan one of the youngsters out as you have to name a player in the 18 that has come from youth academy.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 55
Grimsby69
April 14, 2024, 6:14pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +11
or only have 6 on the bench
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 55
LocalLadGTFC
April 14, 2024, 6:16pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Grimsby69
The problem with not offering Clifton a contract for next season would mean we would not be able loan one of the youngsters out as you have to name a player in the 18 that has come from youth academy.  

I imagine Gardner will be in and around the squad next season, he's physically capable of mens football and technically very good aswell.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 55
Mikey_345
April 14, 2024, 6:19pm
Cocktail Drinker

Saw something the other day, it might have been here, that if you look at his career this is abit of a myth.

In terms of Harry, I think one bad season doesn’t define his career. We’d have thought we were mental if we’d had this discussion last summer. Think he’s suffered more than most with the team struggling been a local lad.

Give him a new deal and be confident he’ll regain some form. As well as that though his versatility gives you the flexibility to save a wage elsewhere perhaps. He can arguably do a job in 5 different positions. Don’t think he’s ever let us down where ever he’s played, just not reached the levels he has before

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 55
acko338
April 14, 2024, 6:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,230
Gold Stars: 33
Glennon is good at the attacking side of the game, but has been really exposed by quick wingers for pace or if he dives into challenges and doesn't get the ball.

Would he be able to do a left sided midfield / winger role instead? Can still track back if needed, but his assets are more going forward, combined with free kick deliveries.

If totally safe, is it worth a trial?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 55
HertsGTFC
April 14, 2024, 6:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from acko338
Glennon is good at the attacking side of the game, but has been really exposed by quick wingers for pace or if he dives into challenges and doesn't get the ball.

Would he be able to do a left sided midfield / winger role instead? Can still track back if needed, but his assets are more going forward, combined with free kick deliveries.

If totally safe, is it worth a trial?

Whatever you say about his defending we’ve missed his dead ball delivery

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 55
fishboyUTM
April 14, 2024, 6:59pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Whatever you say about his defending we’ve missed his dead ball delivery

We have but Vernam's deliveries are better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 55
Heisenberg
April 14, 2024, 7:19pm
Brandy Drinker
Gold Stars: 95
No matter what we think of Clifton, if you let him go you’ll not find a player with his flexibility or engine at our level.

I think DA will offer him an extension, but I’d be gobsmacked if Hurst isn’t after him. Clifton on a freebie? I think he’d have teams queuing up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 55
AncientExiledMariner
April 14, 2024, 7:21pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.49
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Heisenberg
No matter what we think of Clifton, if you let him go you’ll not find a player with his flexibility or engine at our level.

I think DA will offer him an extension, but I’d be gobsmacked if Hurst isn’t after him. Clifton on a freebie? I think he’d have teams queuing up.

I agree on this one. I'd definitely renew. As an option on bench or coming in when others are out of form, he's essential in a squad and when he finds a bit of form playing wide, he's quite a player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 55
HertsGTFC
April 14, 2024, 7:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from fishboyUTM

We have but Vernam's deliveries are better.

That’s a poll for the close season when there’s nothing to talk about.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 55
Theimperialcoroner
April 14, 2024, 8:06pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,245
Gold Stars: 102
I’d hope to keep Clifton, Wilson,  Green and Glennon. It’s a squad game and all four are plenty good enough. Maher is too but I suspect there’s more going on there which means he’ll go, probably along with Glennon.
We need to add some quality to the core and that wont be easy. Barrow for example had about four excellent players that would walk into our team, the rest were pretty much similar. That’s what you have to find, another four players who will be our stars along with Thompson and Rose.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 55
Mappers
April 14, 2024, 8:09pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Approval: +4,393
Gold Stars: 119
I need someone to do the individual player appraisals , they are always an interesting read .

It's funny how quite a few are saying release Clifton - he might already have 'released ' himself and found a decent move one league up , I'm sure there will be a good bit of interest for his versatility alone .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 55
mariner91
April 14, 2024, 8:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,695
Gold Stars: 262
People keep saying about Clifton going to L1 but he would struggle so much due to his complete lack of technical ability.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 55
Mappers
April 14, 2024, 8:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from mariner91
People keep saying about Clifton going to L1 but he would struggle so much due to his complete lack of technical ability.

I don't think he would in terms of minutes , versatility and the added bonus of being a good character + does not get injured much . I think he's had a hard ride this season being played in what to my mind is his worst position - in the middle of the park a lot  ; wide left is his best position I think but more than adequate at wing back , full back or right midfield . He must be a managers dream .

I think he should go if he get's the chance - for me he needs a fresh challenge to further his career.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 55
kevikov
April 14, 2024, 8:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
If DA is heading back to the possession football ethos, Clifton and Tbf a few others will struggle for minutes. I agree Harry is versatile and has an incredible engine on him but first touch, vision and accurate passing aren’t really his strengths. He’ll probably get another year with us but we need upgrades in a few starting positions.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 55
Limerick Mariner
April 14, 2024, 9:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,716
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
I’d hope to keep Clifton, Wilson,  Green and Glennon. It’s a squad game and all four are plenty good enough. Maher is too but I suspect there’s more going on there which means he’ll go, probably along with Glennon.
We need to add some quality to the core and that wont be easy. Barrow for example had about four excellent players that would walk into our team, the rest were pretty much similar. That’s what you have to find, another four players who will be our stars along with Thompson and Rose.

Wilson will surely want out. Clifton should probably move on for his career, but I’d be surprised if we don’t offer him a decent contract. I’d offer Green a contract as well. At this level his energy and commitment has a role to play. I suspect both Maher and Glennon will leave.

Any Mansfield or Stockport cast offs that we’d like as they strengthen for the step-up?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 55
toontown
April 14, 2024, 10:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

And yet the other night against Harrogate, playing on his weaker side, in a position he has rarely played in, he outperformed a player in his specialist position who has been playing at league 1 level for years. Hume came on with just 20 mins to go, presumably Artell was hoping by then harrogates tricky wide player would have tired a bit but he still completely rinsed Hume on one occasion, something he didn't manage against Clifton. Plus hume was booked on another occasion against their lad and after being out muscled and giving away a foul he should have been sent off when he kicked the ball away in frustration. I think we under estimate how good Clifton is at this versatility.

Personally think we'd be bonkers to not try and keep Clifton, hes so incredibly versatile even out side of his best position which is probably right wing back or full back. Plus there is the need for an academy graduate in the squad. However, I suspect he'll got to Shrewsbury in league 1.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 55
arryarryarry
April 14, 2024, 10:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,036
Gold Stars: 116
Looking at some of these comments and the players we should keep one has to ask why have we been so excrement for most of the season.

We need some reliable defenders, a couple of decent central midfielders, a couple of goal scorers and a couple of decent wingers.

Sadly I can't see that many players coming in after Hurst drunk most of our FA Cup money up the wall with some crap buys.

And we need to stop signing players with a history of injury problems.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 55
ska face
April 14, 2024, 10:12pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,750
Gold Stars: 851
If Clifton gets a move to L1 I’ll eat that hotdog straight out of jonnyboy’s ringpiece. Absolutely laughable.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 55
MuddyWaters
April 14, 2024, 10:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

I struggle to understand why you would keep any of the midfielders out of contract. Our defence is ok, we have some decent attacking options but at least half of the outfield needs better starting options, including all the midfield with the exception of Thompson.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 55
LocalLadGTFC
April 14, 2024, 10:15pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from toontown

And yet the other night against Harrogate, playing on his weaker side, in a position he has rarely played in, he outperformed a player in his specialist position who has been playing at league 1 level for years. Hume came on with just 20 mins to go, presumably Artell was hoping by then harrogates tricky wide player would have tired a bit but he still completely rinsed Hume on one occasion, something he didn't manage against Clifton. Plus hume was booked on another occasion against their lad and after being out muscled and giving away a foul he should have been sent off when he kicked the ball away in frustration. I think we under estimate how good Clifton is at this versatility.

Personally think we'd be bonkers to not try and keep Clifton, hes so incredibly versatile even out side of his best position which is probably right wing back or full back. Plus there is the need for an academy graduate in the squad. However, I suspect he'll got to Shrewsbury in league 1.

I agree with you about keeping him around and think we'd be stupid not to but re-writing history isn't going to do that. Harrogates right wing back went back Harry a few times, there wing backs were probably there best players and Smith did a lot better than Clifton in keeping the wing backs quiet. Harry gave the ball away 14 times.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 34 - 55
Mikey_345
April 14, 2024, 10:52pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from ska face
If Clifton gets a move to L1 I’ll eat that hotdog straight out of jonnyboy’s ringpiece. Absolutely laughable.

Just noting down the date and time of this… 😂

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 55
jimgtfc
April 14, 2024, 11:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Gold Stars: 45
Apparently Edwin Essell and Harvey Tomlinson were told they won’t be getting new contracts a while ago. Not sure on Bramwell but possibly the same.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 55
HertsGTFC
April 15, 2024, 6:59am

Barley Wine Drinker
Clifton will get offered a deal for several reasons. He’s versatile, he generally stays injury free and he’s one of our own & the club need to be seen to look after players like that as part of the talent attraction strategy.

He’s had a poor season but in his defence Rose apart Clifton is no different to the rest of the team who started the season at the club, maybe we just expect a bit more from him for various reasons.

I wouldn’t be too upset if he stays & as he’s a Town supporter & it means a lot to him I’d be sorry to see him go.

Oh yeah and if Hurst wasn’t managing in L1 nobody would even make the link.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 55
Theimperialcoroner
April 15, 2024, 8:03am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,245
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I struggle to understand why you would keep any of the midfielders out of contract. Our defence is ok, we have some decent attacking options but at least half of the outfield needs better starting options, including all the midfield with the exception of Thompson.

Not suggesting they’d be first choice, Green can do a type of job others can’t and Clifton has other well-documented qualities. Both would have a place for me next season, but agree the first choice needs to be much stronger.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 55
Maringer
April 15, 2024, 8:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,626
Gold Stars: 185
Green has managed to string together a few decent performances over the past few games, but I still don't think he is what we need. Plenty of get up and go, but in too many games, his second touch is a tackle and I don't see that changing. He's 27 in the summer and there's a reason he's played in non-league for most of his career.

Clifton's versatility is on his side, but he'll need to be a lot better next season as he really has had a poor one this year. He's obviously not alone in this regard. I don't think I'd be interested in seeing either Andrews or Obikwu back. Both have done OK at times and it can't help them that they've had to play in such a disfunctional team, but neither seems to me to (currently) be at the level we require. Perhaps coming off the bench, but then higher level clubs send their youngsters to get game experience.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 55
Mappers
April 15, 2024, 9:19am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Green has managed to string together a few decent performances over the past few games, but I still don't think he is what we need. Plenty of get up and go, but in too many games, his second touch is a tackle and I don't see that changing. He's 27 in the summer and there's a reason he's played in non-league for most of his career.

Clifton's versatility is on his side, but he'll need to be a lot better next season as he really has had a poor one this year. He's obviously not alone in this regard. I don't think I'd be interested in seeing either Andrews or Obikwu back. Both have done OK at times and it can't help them that they've had to play in such a disfunctional team, but neither seems to me to (currently) be at the level we require. Perhaps coming off the bench, but then higher level clubs send their youngsters to get game experience.

I would take Obikwu back in a heartbeat - he might not be the finished article and has a somewhat languid looking style at times but I think there is a really good player in there who given a whole season at this level could be another 15-20 goal a season man like Rose . I have been suprised at some of the pelters he has taken , he's raw but people must be able to see the level he is capable of - just take the Crewe game in isolation the lad has some of these league 2 defenders petrified when he get's them isolated one on one , especially down the left channel . Do people think we can sign a Mullin type ? That's not happening .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 55
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 15, 2024, 9:21am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from toontown

Ah football, a game of opinions and perspectives. It genuinely feels like you've watched a different game to me at Harrogate. I am a massive fan of Harry and get a bit dewy eyed over 'one of our own' but I thought he was awful at Harrogate, he looked all at sea.

His defensive positioning is poor, he couldn't trap a bag of cement, he was incapable of passing to another bloke in a striped shirt and was 'the player in his specialist position' that he outperformed the same bloke who constantly found space behind him and forced him time and again into a race?

Harry's only saving grace at Harrogate was that Obikwu made him look like Lionel Messi.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 55
Maringer
April 15, 2024, 9:46am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,626
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Mappers

I would take Obikwu back in a heartbeat - he might not be the finished article and has a somewhat languid looking style at times but I think there is a really good player in there who given a whole season at this level could be another 15-20 goal a season man like Rose . I have been suprised at some of the pelters he has taken , he's raw but people must be able to see the level he is capable of - just take the Crewe game in isolation the lad has some of these league 2 defenders petrified when he get's them isolated one on one , especially down the left channel . Do people think we can sign a Mullin type ? That's not happening .

I'm just generally unimpressed by his workrate. I've not been to any away games this season, so perhaps I've not seen the best of him, but I think that at the very least busting a gut is what I want to see from a striker and he was just jogging around in the dying stages when he came on against Newport and they were trying to get an equaliser. I can understand that he's not had it easy, having to lead the line when Rose was out and he's terribly inexperienced, but I think we need a bit more. He'll probably have a good career in time (a la Kayden Jackson), but I don't think he's what we need at present.

If we did try to get him for another season, I'd be fine, as long as we didn't sign him with the intent of playing him as a starter.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 55
diehardmariner
April 15, 2024, 9:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,651
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Mikey_345

Saw something the other day, it might have been here, that if you look at his career this is abit of a myth.

That was me - https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1712592584//id-1725662#id1725662 - the actual numbers surprised me a bit too if I'm honest.

Ainley will get some sort of offer, might be a six-month deal similar to what we gave Scannell a few years back.

Clifton will still have interest, good scouts will recognise that he's had a bad season and nothing more.  I just don't think that interest comes from the level it has done previously.  I also would keep him for his versatility and the option of playing wingback.

Everyone else who's out of contract, not bothered.  I agree on Green, seen a different side to him in recent weeks but we need to add genuine quality in there, I wouldn't be disappointed if he left or stayed.  Hume, Glennon....not for me.  Too inconsistent the pair of them.  We need a dominant figure down the left and neither offer that.  I'd probably be tempted to keep Wilson in the hope that he can be moulded into the player he's got the ability to be.  Third goal on Saturday showed exactly what he can do, just bulldoze teams.  He's deceptively strong, decent feet and a fairly good turn of pace.  If he can get his head into that mindset of what he's capable of he could be almost unplayable at this level.  
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 55
Poojah
April 15, 2024, 9:52am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,649
Gold Stars: 1,508
Different level, but Obikwu reminds me of a young Luke Cornwall. Scorer of some important goals in the midst of a relegation battle, without looking overly impressive in his all round game.

For now, I’m just grateful for the 4 points his goals against Sutton and BFS have earned us. Things might look a bit different without them.

The kid is raw; he’s only just turned 20 and this is his first taste of men’s senior football. I certainly wouldn’t rule out the possibility of him having a decent career in the game.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 55
grimps
April 15, 2024, 10:07am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Poojah
Different level, but Obikwu reminds me of a young Luke Cornwall. Scorer of some important goals in the midst of a relegation battle, without looking overly impressive in his all round game.

For now, I’m just grateful for the 4 points his goals against Sutton and BFS have earned us. Things might look a bit different without them.

The kid is raw; he’s only just turned 20 and this is his first taste of men’s senior football. I certainly wouldn’t rule out the possibility of him having a decent career in the game.

I thought he was working a lot harder on Saturday and had a good game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 55
lew chaterleys lover
April 15, 2024, 10:18am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237

Ah football, a game of opinions and perspectives. It genuinely feels like you've watched a different game to me at Harrogate. I am a massive fan of Harry and get a bit dewy eyed over 'one of our own' but I thought he was awful at Harrogate, he looked all at sea.

His defensive positioning is poor, he couldn't trap a bag of cement, he was incapable of passing to another bloke in a striped shirt and was 'the player in his specialist position' that he outperformed the same bloke who constantly found space behind him and forced him time and again into a race?

Harry's only saving grace at Harrogate was that Obikwu made him look like Lionel Messi.

Looking at the highlights on Saturday is a case in point. He had to execute a straightforward pass of a few yards back to Rodgers, but he misplaced it and over hit it forcing Rodgers to go back to Eastwood who miskicked it leading to their best chance. All totally preventable.

He had a great season when played out wide on the left where he can make the most of his energy to get up and down but sadly for him he is one of those players who is a jack of all trades but not quite good enough but that versatility is very valuable in a league 2 squad.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 55
diehardmariner
April 15, 2024, 10:35am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Interesting comparison and I think a fair one, especially on the scored without an impressive all round game.   Cornwall took a fair bit of time to get going.  I remember in his first few appearances he looked quite lost and then remarked that he was getting used as a target man when it wasn't his game at all.

It wasn't until his brace against Tranmere, Steve Livingstone's ABH on John Achterberg assisted, that he looked remotely lively.  The first goal gave him such a confidence boost.  But his career really tailed off after leaving us.  I seem to think Lawrence tried to sign him permanently that summer but he wasn't keen on returning.  Loan spell at Lincoln and a short spell at Bradford a few years later but then he dropped through the levels like a fly.

Obikwu has taken time to get going and I can't ever make my mind up if he looks useless or just has that gangly unpredictable style, sort of Paolo Wanchope/Shaun Goater like.  I also wonder if we're playing him to his strengths.  A lot of the balls up to him are for him to hold up, bring down, get others involved etc, which doesn't seem to be to his suiting.  The only problem is I've not seen anything in his all-round play to say what he's best at.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 55
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 15, 2024, 10:44am
Champagne Drinker
Obikwu is an interesting one..

By all accounts Coventry rate him and Artell has started him in most games recently. But for me he has no presence and doesn't force opposing defenders into taking action (I was a defender and hated playing against strikers who forced me to make a decision - tackle him, head it, foul him, block him. I wanted a striker who I could just marshall and wait for a mistake).

He doesn't beat defenders with skill or speed, he doesn't dominate in the air, his close control is generally poor. He is also not scoring enough to be the classic 'does f*ck all for 88 minutes but always scores' and I could live with that!

I don't understand how he gets in the team ahead of Wilson who has pace, is muscular and and forces defenders to do things - I thought he was excellent at Wimbledon, a proper handful for a half decent defence.

Maybe Rose and Wilson are too similar and Obikwu offers an alternative to Rose. And if that's the case then he does offer an alternative to Rose, he's not very good!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 55
chipsandgravy
April 15, 2024, 11:22am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Approval: +3,629
Gold Stars: 38
Anything less than a good squad overhaul or I will be disappointed. This season has been terrible and 20 years of shite, with the obvious bright spot, has left me almost wanting to give up. I have learnt not to get excited about new managers or over egg signings and shan't be doing next season. Artell still has a lot to prove to me but it will be interesting to see the type of player he goes after. I was there on Saturday and to be honest thoroughly enjoyed the game. It was for me the best team performance of the season - so that gives me some encouragement. There is a spine of a team emerging there and even one or two players that I had written off played well. However this season has been painful so there should be no room for sentiment and if we are to progress we need alot of better players. Interesting summer ahead (given we get that point).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 55
Limerick Mariner
April 15, 2024, 12:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Approval: +5,716
Quoted from Poojah

I wouldn’t, but he’s not what we need as a first choice starter, and next season will he be better than Cam?

We’ve had 2 seasons at this level without ever fielding a front as good as Taylor and McAtee were at Wrexham in the semi, and I’m not in any way being disparaging about Danny Rose. For me, this is the source of the most intense frustration about Paul Hurst. He did a lot of good for this club but in both spells once we got back into the EFL he left us in the same position up top.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 55
diehardmariner
April 15, 2024, 2:41pm
Vodka Drinker

He doesn't beat defenders with skill or speed, he doesn't dominate in the air, his close control is generally poor. He is also not scoring enough to be the classic 'does f*ck all for 88 minutes but always scores' and I could live with that!

Goal every 249 minutes on the pitch.  Wilson and Pyke both on a goal every 185 minutes.  Rose, who we certainly have to look at the other things he contributes, is only just better than Obikwu with a goal every 241 minutes.

I don't understand how he gets in the team ahead of Wilson who has pace, is muscular and and forces defenders to do things - I thought he was excellent at Wimbledon, a proper handful for a half decent defence.

I agree, but I think that sums up where Wilson is in Artell's thoughts.  Whatever it is, just doesn't seem to rate or trust him.  It dips into a thread from last week about playing our own players over young loanees and there's plenty of times this season where I've thought Obikwu getting game time was bizarre when Wilson and/or Pyke sat on the bench.  But perhaps Artell really sees the potential in Obikwu and a budding relationship with Coventry, be it for him or future players.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 55
gytone
April 15, 2024, 2:59pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,028
Gold Stars: 8
Wouldn't be surprised if we got a player or 2 from abroad, think I heard that Joe Hutchinson had a flight cancelled the other week, suggested he was going to maybe talk to a player.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 55
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 15, 2024, 4:56pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner

Goal every 249 minutes on the pitch.  Wilson and Pyke both on a goal every 185 minutes.  Rose, who we certainly have to look at the other things he contributes, is only just better than Obikwu with a goal every 241 minutes.

I agree, but I think that sums up where Wilson is in Artell's thoughts.  Whatever it is, just doesn't seem to rate or trust him.  It dips into a thread from last week about playing our own players over young loanees and there's plenty of times this season where I've thought Obikwu getting game time was bizarre when Wilson and/or Pyke sat on the bench.  But perhaps Artell really sees the potential in Obikwu and a budding relationship with Coventry, be it for him or future players.

Really interesting the comparison in goals per minute with Wilson and Pyke. A little unfair to do the same with Rose who does more work in the warm up than Obikwu does over 90 minutes!  

I hope you're wrong about Wilson (I'm not bothered about Pyke) but the fact that he was on the verge of gone during the transfer window before a last minute reprieve and his appearances since suggests that Artell is not enamoured.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 55
forza ivano
April 15, 2024, 5:11pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,261
Gold Stars: 266
[quote=372]Wouldn't be surprised if we got a player or 2 from abroad, think I heard that Joe Hutchinson had a flight cancelled the other week, suggested he was going to maybe talk to a player. [/quot

I agree - Artell has mentioned foreign signings on 2 occasions, apart from the above comment.
Scandinavia would be my guess or maybe Poland or the Baltics?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 55
toontown
April 15, 2024, 9:03pm
Whiskey Drinker

No sorry you're misunderstanding me - the player he outperformed in his specialist position was Hume. Just to be clear I thought Clifton had a poor game too, albeit playing on his weaker side, UNTIL Hume came on, in his specialist position and was promptly given a far more torrid time by their very tricky wide player. I thought Hume would give us more going forward than Harry had (not hard) but actually he did nothing as he was so much on the back foot defensively, and in fact he should have been sent off. He actually was noticeably worse than Clifton and I think their lad was v good indeed, but at least Clifton didn't get tonked like Glennon and Mullarkey were earlier in the season letting cross after cross in or getting on the wrong side of players etc. If Hume had been on from the start against their lad, instead of just having the final 20 against him when he was tiring a little, that is exactly what we would have got I reckon. At least Clifton was able to do enough to keep his head above water against their guy, and not sink like some of our FBs have this year!

And yet hume has spent his entire career above league 2 and played that position all his career. Harry has probably had less than 20 games at LB/LWB.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 55
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Squad for next season

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.