rancido
April 7, 2024, 1:23pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,613
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Neither is the midfield and to retain Green and Holohan would be a great mistake IMO as we need much better quality if we are to progress. A strong midfield would actually take a lot of pressure off our defence and we might be surprised at how certain individuals might improve with better players in front of them. That said we need a new keeper, 2 CB’s, 2 FB’, 4 midfielders and probably 4 up front to include 2 wide players and hopefully Gardner will start to get some game time to help his development and be able to add some youthful exuberance.

I’d keep Clifton, despite my previous criticisms of him, purely because off the bench he can cover a multitude of positions and is guaranteed to give his all. Unfortunately we have not seen enough of Khouri and Ainley to form an honest opinion but both could end up being decent as could Hunt. I believe Hunt has the footballing skills to make it but to date I accept some of his decision making is not the best but there is talent there and it would be great if that could come out at Town and not some other club in the future when he’s moved on.

So 12 or 13 new players for me and you would hope some of our younger lads who have been retained will start to push through and stake a claim for a starting spot.

I would keep Holoran and Green but more as second choices on the bench. Both can fill a role as subs to shore things up, especially Green who has the added advantage of being very good in the air.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 82
Mariner93er
April 7, 2024, 1:42pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,737
Gold Stars: 28
I'd keep Holohan over Green. Green puts everything on the line, but he's technically one of the worst centre mids I can remember, and his defensive play can be a bit gung ho. Holohan gets a bit more stick at times, but I think that's because he's braver on the ball and doesn't she away when he's playing bad. He also has a knack of chipping in with goals.

Either way, neither should be a starter.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 82
Heisenberg
April 7, 2024, 1:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,097
Gold Stars: 95
This thread is interesting. Who’d have thought back in August that we’d not even be talking about keeping Eisa?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 82
LocalLadGTFC
April 7, 2024, 2:56pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,311
Gold Stars: 137
I think assuming Rose will be here is a bit optimistic - if I was manager of a mid tableish L2 side I’d be very interested in a guy who scored 15 goals in a team that struggled all season.

I don't think it's optimistic in the slightest, he scores goals yes but he's under contract and I doubt we'd sell for anything but a big fee.. he's club captain and he's 33. As good as he is, he's in the twilight of his career and you could argue that this would be his last move at football league level, he came here because of the location to home and I imagine he's on a good wage so it's on us to give him a team next season that can put us at the right end of the table.

Okay he's 30.. but still I don't see him going anywhere.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 43 - 82
TwoLeftFeet
April 7, 2024, 3:03pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,093
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

I don't think it's optimistic in the slightest, he scores goals yes but he's under contract and I doubt we'd sell for anything but a big fee.. he's club captain and he's 33. As good as he is, he's in the twilight of his career and you could argue that this would be his last move at football league level, he came here because of the location to home and I imagine he's on a good wage so it's on us to give him a team next season that can put us at the right end of the table.

Rose is 30 and yes can't see him going anywhere next season..

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 82
LocalLadGTFC
April 7, 2024, 3:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,311
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet

Note to self, there's more than one Danny Rose that's plays football  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 45 - 82
MarinerDevil
April 7, 2024, 3:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,779
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from Mariner93er
I'd keep Holohan over Green.

I agree, however, Holohan is out of contract and the most we could probably offer him is a year extension as a squad player. I imagine he'd prefer to go back to the National League for more game time and a longer contract. We have an option on Green and I suspect we'll exercise that unless Artell wants to perform heavier surgery on the midfield.

I don't think we can roll the dice on an entirely new squad again — we do that pretty much every season — but all areas clearly need improvement. Tharme, Thompson, Rose, Vernam and possibly Mullarkey could form the foundations of a good League 2 side. First priority in the summer is to keep Rose and to make sure those players listed get a full pre-season in. We should be looking to add more pace and physicality as those attributes seem to be the main thing you need at this level. We've also struggled to be press resistant since Conteh left, although Thompson has filled that void to some degree.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 82
Alan Buckley
April 7, 2024, 3:18pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Approval: -260
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet

😬🤐
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 82
MuddyWaters
April 7, 2024, 3:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
I don’t expect us to retain many of the out of contract players nor do I expect us to exercise the option on Green if the manager wants to see a decent improvement next season. Many of these players are synonymous with a team that has shipped loads of goals at home, flirted with another relegation and caused several early walkouts at home games.

I expect David Artell wants to put his stamp on Grimsby Town next season and won’t want another relegation battle.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 82
HertsGTFC
April 7, 2024, 3:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from MuddyWaters
I don’t expect us to retain many of the out of contract players nor do I expect us to exercise the option on Green if the manager wants to see a decent improvement next season. Many of these players are synonymous with a team that has shipped loads of goals at home, flirted with another relegation and caused several early walkouts at home games.

I expect David Artell wants to put his stamp on Grimsby Town next season and won’t want another relegation battle.

Agree with this.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 82
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Well done

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.