8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
DB
March 30, 2024, 4:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.47
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,042
Gold Stars: 390
I'm optimistic and positive we'll stay up and here's why.

9 points out of 15 in March. Who would have predicted that in February?

6 games left in April. Bradford, Newport and Swindon have nothing to play for no promotion or relegation for them so we should pick up a few points from these games. Crewe and Crawley both have promotion hopes, so a point from these might happen and finally, we have Colchester which could decide our season.

That said Colchester have Wrexham, Stockport and Crawley before they play us, which hopefully they'll lose to and be a bit demoralised.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
RonMariner
March 30, 2024, 5:13pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,785
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from DB

6 games left in April. Bradford, Newport and Swindon have nothing to play for no promotion or relegation for them so we should pick up a few points from these games. Crewe and Crawley both have promotion hopes, so a point from these might happen and finally, we have Colchester which could decide our season.

That said Colchester have Wrexham, Stockport and Crawley before they play us, which hopefully they'll lose to and be a bit demoralised.

It was 9 from 21 in March in total. Still more than a point a game though.
We actually have 7 games left in April. A point a game takes us to 46 points which I think will be enough. We might get 7 points from the three  home games.    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 70
cmackenzie4
March 30, 2024, 5:31pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.25
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
I think we will be safe (only just though) I think Forest  Green and Sutton are worse than us and have too much to do, with Rose back we’ll be ok I feel, Colchester aren’t too good either but I think they’ll just do it (like us)

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 70
Perkins
March 30, 2024, 5:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Never ever thought we'd see the day when we're all hoping for a third from bottom finish to the season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 70
GrimRob
March 30, 2024, 6:14pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Perkins
Never ever thought we'd see the day when we're all hoping for a third from bottom finish to the season.

It's hardly a great shock in this league. It's a fairly typical season to finish in the bottom 4 if you look at the last 20 years. Most of our seasons for 2 decades have been top bottom 6 of League 2 or the top 6 of the National League, a narrow range of about 12 places. We've been a pretty consistent yo-yo team, either bottom feeders in this league or promotion hopefuls in the one below. Next season will probably be the same, and the one after that,...

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 70
White_shorts
March 30, 2024, 7:40pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -647
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from DB

Newport are only five points away from the playoffs, Bradford seven.  The Bantams will be aiming to reduce that to four on Monday, and significantly improve their goal difference.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 70
GrimPol
March 30, 2024, 8:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -772
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from cmackenzie4
I think we will be safe (only just though) I think Forest  Green and Sutton are worse than us and have too much to do, with Rose back we’ll be ok I feel, Colchester aren’t too good either but I think they’ll just do it (like us)

I'm afraid Sutton has found form, and won 10 points from 15 (we have 5 from 15) and won 3 games with teams all above them, on the trot. When we played them on their "beach pitch" they just looked better than us and they were miles away in points below us then, so I had assumed they were down, and just going through the motions. Now look at them.
DA has brought on board some better players, but they are not enough. As a team, we still play like strangers, cannot pass, cannot trap, cannot throw in, cannot kick corners and in our final third we just stand back and watch whilst the opposition have all the time in the world to do something.. Barrow had our players bunched together in a corner whilst they passed the ball into the net with nobody near them. It was school boys v men sometimes. No matter how you look at it, its bad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 70
HertsGTFC
March 30, 2024, 8:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from GrimPol

I'm afraid Sutton has found form, and won 10 points from 15 (we have 5 from 15) and won 3 games with teams all above them, on the trot. When we played them on their "beach pitch" they just looked better than us and they were miles away in points below us then, so I had assumed they were down, and just going through the motions. Now look at them.
DA has brought on board some better players, but they are not enough. As a team, we still play like strangers, cannot pass, cannot trap, cannot throw in, cannot kick corners and in our final third we just stand back and watch whilst the opposition have all the time in the world to do something.. Barrow had our players bunched together in a corner whilst they passed the ball into the net with nobody near them. It was school boys v men sometimes. No matter how you look at it, its bad.

Add to that the inability to deliver any kind of quality from free kicks and a new find comedic ability to try and be creative & pretty much ballsing every one of them up 🙄

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 70
It Bites
March 30, 2024, 9:37pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,255
Gold Stars: 266
Our free kicks , corners and general delivery into the box are just an embarrassment. I’m astonished that a pro football player can’t deliver a decent cross . Glennon could do it but he was a crap defender unfortunately.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 70
RonMariner
March 30, 2024, 10:37pm

Special Brew Drinker
Well we need seven points from somewhere to stay up I think. If we don't get three of them on Monday it's going to be very tricky.

We are all getting wound up by the sudden turn around in form by Sutton. But not long ago FGR looked to have turned a corner. It didn't last. There is no guarantee that Sutton's run will continue either. After their game on Monday, a very winnable match at home to Swindon, they have some tough games ahead and it's  possible they may find more wins pretty hard to come by.

It's still in our hands. But beating Bradford is a must in my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 70
Marinerdeano
March 30, 2024, 10:52pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
Hate going round all the possible permutations in my head. We need this settled prior to the last game of the season. As frustrated as some are getting, we are going to have to continue to play our part and give it our all as fans. It is all we have, the ability to support and help player confidence. It's the only input we can have at this stage that might make a difference.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 70
RonMariner
March 30, 2024, 10:57pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Marinerdeano
Hate going round all the possible permutations in my head. We need this settled prior to the last game of the season. As frustrated as some are getting, we are going to have to continue to play our part and give it our all as fans. It is all we have, the ability to support and help player confidence. It's the only input we can have at this stage that might make a difference.

It seems like  almost every season we have to endure this either aiming for the playoffs in the NL or fighting relegation from L2. Last season was a bit of an exception. It drives me nuts.

But I have decided to stop obsessing over it. We might go down. I hope not. But the NL is not the end of the world. We have been there before and got out of it and I have no doubt we would again, I just hope it doesn't come to that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 70
horsforthmariner
March 31, 2024, 10:49am
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,633
Gold Stars: 9
I reckon we'll be fine. I think we'll end up on 46 points which will fortunately be enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 70
mariner91
March 31, 2024, 11:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,695
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from GrimPol

I'm afraid Sutton has found form, and won 10 points from 15 (we have 5 from 15) and won 3 games with teams all above them, on the trot.

Your games tend to be against teams that are above you in the table when you’re literally bottom.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 70
RonMariner
March 31, 2024, 12:00pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

Your games tend to be against teams that are above you in the table when you’re literally bottom.

And we are going to have to beat teams above us to stay up. Starting tomorrow.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 70
devs
March 31, 2024, 12:12pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Perkins

Quite honestly I am not shocked and I think it is where we are at as a club unless and until...
a) We get significant Lincoln-type investment - new money from somewhere
b) We get very lucky with a manager - hopefully Artell - like Lincoln had with Cowleys and suddenly things take off
c) We produce 4/5 home-grown stars such as Drinkell, Moore, Ford etc

There are several yo-yo clubs in England - those who hover between bottom end of one league and top end of another - think of Norwich, Fulham, Rotherham, Peterborough, Port Vale, Leeds and several more

Despite what DA says (DN35 podcast) I do believe location is a huge issue and that is further hampered by the fact we can't pay top dollar for some real quality

Never mind passion, pride, work rate etc - the reason we are bottom four is a woeful lack of consistent quality in the the final third

I wish I could be full of beans and optimism but honestly feel bottom 4/6 of L2 is about where we in terms of our standing in the game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 70
GrimRob
March 31, 2024, 12:22pm

Quoted from horsforthmariner
I reckon we'll be fine. I think we'll end up on 46 points which will fortunately be enough.

It's out of our hands if we get 45 or more and do down. Strong finishes from 2 of the 3 below us will relegate us. Most of our games are winnable but winning them is another matter.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 16 - 70
March 31, 2024, 12:27pm
Guest User
I think the era of producing home grown players of that calibre was over some years ago. The Premier League sign up and spit out any kid who shows talent. I wonder how many players have ended up on the scrap heap at an early age, who would have done so much better at their home club, progressing at a much steadier and sustainable rate.
Reply: 17 - 70
IlkleyMariner
March 31, 2024, 12:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,037
Gold Stars: 69
Football has a funny way of producing unexpected results.
All we need is two, or maybe just one win to stay up.
Could come at any of the next seven games, but the sooner the better.

Let’s hope tomorrow is the first of our points needed to survive.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 70
arryarryarry
March 31, 2024, 4:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,038
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from GrimPol

Can anyone remember, without looking it up, when we last won three EFL games on the trot.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 70
oochiad
March 31, 2024, 5:26pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,725
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from arryarryarry

Can anyone remember, without looking it up, when we last won three league games on the trot.

The playoff run in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 70
grimsby pete
March 31, 2024, 5:35pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,822
Gold Stars: 222
It does not matter who we play. If we keep giving the ball away and missing our chances.

We have to improve and do it fast to stand a chance.

Come on town you can do it !!!

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 70
pen penfras
March 31, 2024, 5:35pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Can't see how we go down.  Sutton have had a good run, but they're too bad to keep it up for another 5 games. Colchester haven't had a bounce at all, and have tough games.

We're awful, no doubt about it. But expecting teams below us to start beating everyone is unrealistic, they're below us because they’re even worse. We'll pick up points against worse teams than the last 2 games and scrape through.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 70
arryarryarry
March 31, 2024, 5:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from oochiad

The playoff run in.

Apologies, I meant to say EFL games.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 70
GrimRob
March 31, 2024, 6:15pm

If we do stay up we will probably be relegation favourites next season.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 24 - 70
Grimal
March 31, 2024, 6:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,876
Quoted from GrimRob

That was the thinking most of us had about Stevenage when they were swimming around the L2 drop zone regularly and we all know where they are now,it's all down to a good manager and no denying love him or hate him Steve Evans is a good manager at this level.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 70
GrimRob
March 31, 2024, 6:31pm

Quoted from Grimal

That was the thinking most of us had about Stevenage when they were swimming around the L2 drop zone regularly and we all know where they are now,it's all down to a good manager and no denying love him or hate him Steve Evans is a good manager at this level.

Yeah definitely it's not a death sentence. Next season is going to have quite a different feel with matches spread across the weekend. Even less away fans at BP and probably fewer home in a lot of games too. Going down will mean 3pm Saturday will stay the norm.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 26 - 70
IlkleyMariner
March 31, 2024, 7:40pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Approval: +3,037
Gold Stars: 69
One step at a time.

Stay up this year
Work out our finances
Spend them wisely

Who knows?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 70
arryarryarry
April 1, 2024, 2:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
One step at a time.

Stay up this year
Work out our finances
Spend them wisely

Who knows?

Wont the same people be in charge next season, so why should it be any different?
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 70
lew chaterleys lover
April 1, 2024, 10:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from GrimRob

This is the reality of us so often being in this position.

Despite a lot of us remembering happier times the whole football world sees us as perennial strugglers who can't even make an impression in league 2.

Most agents, all current players and a lot of opposition fans have seen nothing but a Grimsby struggle to avoid non league, or struggling to get back.

It must severely inhibit our ability to attract players and sponsors and everything else which makes it more likely the struggles will continue so it's like a self fulfilling prophesy.

We must break the cycle somehow, and probably that needs an injection of money from somewhere even if the end game is to be sustainable.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 70
Yoda
April 1, 2024, 11:05am
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,190
Gold Stars: 72
We need to up our capacity if we can get 8-9 k average that will attract players.
The gaps at the main and findus put temporary standing in there to generate more atmosphere.
As Artell said in his interview players do ask the question what’s your average attendance
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 70
malkamalka
April 1, 2024, 11:50am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +150
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from arryarryarry
Wont the same people be in charge next season, so why should it be any different?

I just don't get how quickly people forget what a basket case the club was until 1878 guys came in. They had huge debts to pay off to the previous owner, as well as fund a promotion back into the EFL, fund proper training gear (remember the players saying they trained with punctured footballs)? The they had to get the club back on a sustainable financial foot ing - warning that it would take several years. Now we are sustainable because we are living within our means.

Would people rather we go into debt to fund a promotion into L1 only for the money to run out again, and we end up back in the Conference or worse?

Or would we rather allow the owners to build the club back up to a level that is sustainable, both financially and footballing wise?

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 70
kevikov
April 1, 2024, 4:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from malkamalka

I just don't get how quickly people forget what a basket case the club was until 1878 guys came in. They had huge debts to pay off to the previous owner, as well as fund a promotion back into the EFL, fund proper training gear (remember the players saying they trained with punctured footballs)? The they had to get the club back on a sustainable financial foot ing - warning that it would take several years. Now we are sustainable because we are living within our means.

Would people rather we go into debt to fund a promotion into L1 only for the money to run out again, and we end up back in the Conference or worse?

Or would we rather allow the owners to build the club back up to a level that is sustainable, both financially and footballing wise?

I seriously doubt they’re capable of that though. And wait g for them to learn how to do it will rip the guts out of the club. Might not be anything left by the time some “footballing fortune” comes round. Same old same old for me.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 70
rancido
April 1, 2024, 5:03pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,617
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from kevikov

Whatever you think , I believe ,long term , that we are in better hands than the previous incumbent. Imagine what dodgy character (s) The Leech could have sold us to? Just look down the A18 to see how things could have been.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 70
RonMariner
April 1, 2024, 5:08pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Whatever you think , I believe ,long term , that we are in better hands than the previous incumbent. Imagine what dodgy character (s) The Leech could have sold us to? Just look down the A18 to see how things could have been.

Won't have to look very far. We'll be playing there next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 70
JK47
April 1, 2024, 5:13pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Approval: +204
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from malkamalka

So the club was a basket case as you say), and the current owner paid the full asking price?  That was the first eyebrow raising moment for me.  So, here's a car that is rusting and the engine doesn't go, but I want 20K for it .....

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 70
davmariner
April 1, 2024, 5:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,959
Gold Stars: 79
Our trajectory is clear and worrying. Only a few weeks ago we were ten+ points clear of the relegation zone. We’re going down.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 70
Zmariner
April 1, 2024, 5:22pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from malkamalka

We are still a basket case, am I missing something?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 70
RonMariner
April 1, 2024, 5:23pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from davmariner
Our trajectory is clear and worrying. Only a few weeks ago we were ten+ points clear of the relegation zone. We’re going down.

For quite a while we have assumed that we would be safe because FGR and Sutton were basket cases with no hope. The stats mad crowd posted all manner of PPG analysis that proved that all would be well.

Well how's that looking now? Anyone care to do a PPG forecast based on the last four games?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 70
lew chaterleys lover
April 1, 2024, 5:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner

For quite a while we have assumed that we would be safe because FGR and Sutton were basket cases with no hope. The stats mad crowd posted all manner of PPG analysis that proved that all would be well.

Well how's that looking now? Anyone care to do a PPG forecast based on the last four games?

Never a truer word said. That bloke on Twitter, some "prophet " or other who does his projections after each round of games will be bang on the money after 46 games. Anything can and probably will happen, including us having a sudden upturn and escaping.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 70
tashee69
April 1, 2024, 5:45pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +959
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from RonMariner

Won't have to look very far. We'll be playing there next season.

Can’t see them going up !!!

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 70
Grantham_Mariner
April 1, 2024, 5:49pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,199
Gold Stars: 51
Quoted from Yoda
We need to up our capacity if we can get 8-9 k average that will attract players.
The gaps at the main and findus put temporary standing in there to generate more atmosphere.
As Artell said in his interview players do ask the question what’s your average attendance

We are not allowed to have standing, rule was that once you went all seater in second tier you could not have any standing even if you dropped down to the fourth tier.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 70
RonMariner
April 1, 2024, 5:58pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from tashee69

Can’t see them going up !!!

That, like most of our hopes these days seems to rely on other teams screwing it up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 70
rancido
April 1, 2024, 6:05pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,617
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from RonMariner

That, like most of our hopes these days seems to rely on other teams screwing it up.

Our future is still in our hands.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 70
RonMariner
April 1, 2024, 7:54pm

Special Brew Drinker
Having spent the last week thinking:-
'Oh well, we are playing Bradford at home on Monday, bound to get three points and we will look in great shape given the tough fixture the other face',
I guess I now have to spend five days thinking:-
'Oh Well, we play Newport at home on Saturday, bound to get three points and we will look in great shape given the tough fixtures the others face'.

I mean, what could possibly go wrong?      
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 70
TAGG
April 1, 2024, 8:27pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,939
Gold Stars: 126
We are going down.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 70
CSLM
April 1, 2024, 8:59pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +645
Gold Stars: 12
Everyone is going to be rich then, get on the 5-1. Easiest money ever according to some.

Purely looking at the table, and probably the fixture list, we are in the best position of the 4. Admittedly when you add form into the mix that changes things a fair bit but I'm pretty sure that Sutton and FGR would bite your hand off to be in our position.

We really, really could do with winning next Saturday though I think all 3 of the others losing would be virtually as big.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 70
kevikov
April 1, 2024, 10:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from rancido

Our future is still in our hands.

I think that what worrying me most!

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 70
HertsGTFC
April 1, 2024, 10:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Yoda

Load of bollox as usual.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 70
SheepGTFC
April 2, 2024, 2:00am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 6
imo, we're staying up.
we'll hit a good run of form soon enough
we only need a couple of wins
we have games in hand
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 70
livosnose
April 2, 2024, 4:15am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,176
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from RonMariner
Having spent the last week thinking:-
'Oh well, we are playing Bradford at home on Monday, bound to get three points and we will look in great shape given the tough fixture the other face',
I guess I now have to spend five days thinking:-
'Oh Well, we play Newport at home on Saturday, bound to get three points and we will look in great shape given the tough fixtures the others face'.

I mean, what could possibly go wrong?      

Bound to get three points against Bradford. Not supported us long then .

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 70
DB
April 2, 2024, 6:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.47
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,042
Gold Stars: 390
There's too much negativity on the threads at the moment. Monday's result wasn't the best but we got a point. We need to be positive and optimistic, our destiny is still in our hands and not others.

We have 6 games left, as opposed to the 4 for Sutton and 5 for FGR. Colchester have 7 but 1 of those is against us

21     Grimsby        40     -18     40
22     Sutton United42     -23     39
23     Colchester   39     -18     38
24     Forest Green41     -27     36

We need to support the team as much as we can and leave the negatives alone. After survival, we can examine the problems we've had.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 70
pontoonlew
April 2, 2024, 6:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,088
Gold Stars: 178
4 points from those two games in hand and we stay up IMO, maybe even 3 if those 3 are against Colchester. It looks considerably worse points wise now but 2 games in hand when there’s only 4 left for Sutton is absolutely huge.

0 points from those two games and then we’re in real bother, but I think 45 points does it this year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 70
LocalLadGTFC
April 2, 2024, 6:39pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,311
Gold Stars: 137
Bookies have Forest Green 1/8 to go down and Sutton 1/3. Colchester 3/1 and we are 11/2.. based on the presumptions of most on here you may aswell take those prices.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 53 - 70
Mappers
April 2, 2024, 6:59pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,399
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
Bookies have Forest Green 1/8 to go down and Sutton 1/3. Colchester 3/1 and we are 11/2.. based on the presumptions of most on here you may aswell take those prices.

As much as a lot of fans fear the worst , we are still in the box seat .

I think it will be nip and tuck but providing we don't go Artell ball we should pick up 5 or 6 points and barring a freak set of results just about survive i think .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 70
TownSNAFU5
April 2, 2024, 9:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
Just linking back to the Wrexham defeat.  They have struggled to score well before that game and since our game.  They lost 1-0 to Donney tonight.  They had 15 shots at goal, with the only shot on target coming after 90 minutes.

We managed to gift them the game with 3 goals in the first 30 minutes.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 70
LocalLadGTFC
April 2, 2024, 10:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,311
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Just linking back to the Wrexham defeat.  They have struggled to score well before that game and since our game.  They lost 1-0 to Donney tonight.  They had 15 shots at goal, with the only shot on target coming after 90 minutes.

This is the same Wrexham that battered Mansfield the other day yeah? We're awful but 2 of there goals was just class and the players they have are far too good for this level.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 56 - 70
thornemariner
April 2, 2024, 10:23pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +665
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

Having seen Donny eight times this season I always thought they had a fair bit about them. Had a few clatterings at home themselves but have a good percentage of wins too. I'm not surprised they beat Wrexham.

I thought about going tonight with friends but went with other pals to watch Armthorpe Welfare lose 3 2 at home to Retford FC in the last minute. Great game of football.  
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 70
ska face
April 2, 2024, 10:42pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,752
Gold Stars: 851
Good news for us with Wrexham losing, means they will really need a win at Colchester on Saturday.

/cope
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 70
RonMariner
April 2, 2024, 11:25pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from ska face
Good news for us with Wrexham losing, means they will really need a win at Colchester on Saturday.

/cope

Colchester also have to play Donny too. Might be a tougher game than it seems.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 70
Mariner Timsky
April 3, 2024, 8:23am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 5
Wrexham play Colchester this Saturday and FGR the following Saturday - both games they will be looking to win - but we know better than that eh fellow Mariners

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 70
conscorner
April 3, 2024, 9:49am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Approval: +298
Gold Stars: 3
Experienced ref this Saturday against Newport - Bobby Madley.

He spotted that last minute handball by Chesterfield in 2017/18 that resulted in Mitch Rose converting a penalty for a 1-0 win.

Proved to be a catalyst for Jolley's remarkable run in to avoid relegation.

A good omen perhaps?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 70
Lost in Lincoln
April 3, 2024, 11:25am
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Approval: +386
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from GrimPol

To add context, when you're bottom, *every* team is above you

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 62 - 70
April 3, 2024, 11:43am
Guest User
Quoted from conscorner

He spotted that last minute handball by Chesterfield in 2017/18 that resulted in Mitch Rose converting a penalty for a 1-0 win.

A good omen perhaps?

I hope he doesn’t make me eat my words, but he’s an excellent ref and it’ll make a change.
Reply: 63 - 70
Mikey_345
April 3, 2024, 11:45am
Cocktail Drinker
Approval: +5,521
Gold Stars: 107
Think we stay up, but we’re certainly in more of a fight than we’d like.

Sutton’s form has picked up recently, that’s true. However I’m not sure a team bottom of the league a few weeks ago will maintain promotion form against the teams they have left, if they do - good luck to them but I’m not convinced.

Look, I get the negativity from some, I really do. We shouldn’t be here again and it’s a disaster that we are - personally think a big postmortem is needed but the time for that’s when the seasons over.

However we ourselves have lost two games (to top sides) in almost two months. We can understand we’re in trouble without overestimating the teams below and underestimating ourselves. 2 wins easily achievable imo and that for me is enough to be safe.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 70
jimgtfc
April 3, 2024, 12:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,099
Gold Stars: 45
On Monday evening, I had us down, relegated and finished. I think the manner of the equaliser, coupled with the other strugglers getting good results led most to fear the worst and quite understandably.

On reflection however, I still wouldn’t swap our position with any of the other teams. Yes we’re struggling to win games, but we were only an unfortunate penalty away from getting just that, and we played “alright” as well, with plenty of work rate and determination on show as well, certainly a far cry from the listless, abject performances a few weeks/months back.

It’s still in our hands, and although as others have said, that’s worrying in itself, it shouldn’t really matter about the others form or fixtures, unless they go on some ridiculous run of wins of course. Saturday is winnable, drawable at worst, then 3 away games where I think we can stop Colchester beating us and maybe nick a point at either Crewe or Harrogate. Then our ‘easiest’ fixture of the run in against an abysmal Swindon where maximum points is a must, followed by a tricky trip to Crawley who could already be either in or out of the play offs by that point, again a point is achievable in my opinion. That’s a minimum of 6/7 points which I’m praying is enough.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 70
Maringer
April 3, 2024, 12:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,629
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from 140381

I hope he doesn’t make me eat my words, but he’s an excellent ref and it’ll make a change.

(Though it would be helpful if he was biased in our favour on the day  )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 70
lew chaterleys lover
April 3, 2024, 12:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mikey_345
Think we stay up, but we’re certainly in more of a fight than we’d like.

Sutton’s form has picked up recently, that’s true. However I’m not sure a team bottom of the league a few weeks ago will maintain promotion form against the teams they have left, if they do - good luck to them but I’m not convinced.

Look, I get the negativity from some, I really do. We shouldn’t be here again and it’s a disaster that we are - personally think a big postmortem is needed but the time for that’s when the seasons over.

However we ourselves have lost two games (to top sides) in almost two months. We can understand we’re in trouble without overestimating the teams below and underestimating ourselves. 2 wins easily achievable imo and that for me is enough to be safe.

It's not negative though, it's just realistic. We've seen enough relegations to know what they look like.

We are just so poor but like everyone else I am just praying we can somehow manage to survive, but there is very little we can do about it whatever we think on social media - the players and coaching staff just have to get us over the line.
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 70
Mikey_345
April 3, 2024, 12:29pm
Cocktail Drinker
Approval: +5,521
Gold Stars: 107

It's not negative though, it's just realistic. We've seen enough relegations to know what they look like.

We are just so poor but like everyone else I am just praying we can somehow manage to survive, but there is very little we can do about it whatever we think on social media - the players and coaching staff just have to get us over the line.

I’m sort of talking about the people that say we’re down already. As I say though, I get it - we’ve seen this too many times before and I really don’t blame people for fearing/thinking the worst.

I just think (within the current context) there’s scope to be a little more optimistic. That doesn’t mean this is an acceptable position to be in, just recognises we are but we’ve been ok since Doncaster and lost only twice since then, have more games and Sutton/FGR have some unbelievably tough games.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 70
chelseacity
April 3, 2024, 12:53pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +364
I was at a meeting in New York & it was being run by a sports agent called Mark McCormack, he had some employees he didn't think that they were working as hard as the remuneration that he was paying them, so we all sat around the table & he asked those who had been struggling how they did the job, then asked those that really were successful, at the end of the meeting it was agreed that what brought the successful guys to the top was 'They really wanted to do it' & the least successful guys never gave an answer any where near that. So if you want GTFC to stay in the EFL the actual players have 'Really got to want to do it'
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 70
Theimperialcoroner
April 3, 2024, 12:53pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,246
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from conscorner

A good omen perhaps?

He’s guest at Boston RA on Monday, I’ll either give him some excrement or pay him on the back.

Will actually be good to ask him about anything of note. I’ll report back.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 70
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Staying UP

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.