Reply: 30 - 86
Maringer
March 30, 2024, 9:37am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,628
Gold Stars: 185
I don't like to see personal attacks on other posters, but trolls aren't real people. They aren't interested in the club or interested in engaging honestly on the board. Still better to ignore them, however.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 86
RonMariner
March 30, 2024, 10:53pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,781
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from arryarryarry

Crewe fans said the only reason he took them up was because took over a really good squad

I know they say that but I don't buy it. I don't think you can get promoted out of L2 without being pretty competent. He was after all Manager of the Season that year. He may well have had a decent squad, but team selection, formations, tactics, substitutions, and game management will all have been down to him.

Some good players they might have had, but it's not as if they have Messi, Ronaldo and Salah in the team was it?

He is not tearing any trees up here right now, but give the guy some credit where it's due.      
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 86
jamesgtfc
March 31, 2024, 8:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,032
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from RonMariner

I know they say that but I don't buy it. I don't think you can get promoted out of L2 without being pretty competent. He was after all Manager of the Season that year. He may well have had a decent squad, but team selection, formations, tactics, substitutions, and game management will all have been down to him.

Some good players they might have had, but it's not as if they have Messi, Ronaldo and Salah in the team was it?

He is not tearing any trees up here right now, but give the guy some credit where it's due.      

I think he was blessed with having a very good squad of players that were capable of playing his way, because many of them had come through the youth system that he was involved with playing that way. It's easier to add and integrate a few players in to a fluent system than start from scratch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 86
RonMariner
March 31, 2024, 9:53am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I think he was blessed with having a very good squad of players that were capable of playing his way, because many of them had come through the youth system that he was involved with playing that way. It's easier to add and integrate a few players in to a fluent system than start from scratch.

If he was involved with the youth set up then he must get some credit for developing those players too. I know it ended badly for him at Crewe, partly I gather because they were forced to sell several of their best players, but not giving him any credit for getting them promoted seems like an attempt to rewrite history somewhat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 86
Maringer
March 31, 2024, 10:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,628
Gold Stars: 185
There are vanishingly few managers who can achieve success (or relative success) in a team without players who are good enough for the level at which they are playing. You get the odd outlier but, in general, the richer teams have the most success. If, following promotion, most Crewe's best players were sold and comparable replacements couldn't be found, a relegation is perfectly understandable. Without Rose, we'd already be as good as down, I reckon.

Where Artell seems to struggle is to realise that the weaknesses of some of the players can't be overcome by practicing and working on stuff in training. That said, we're going to have to play it out from the back to some degree with our current squad. We've got no height, no pace, no great skill, so whacking it long isn't going to achieve much, either. The number of individual errors leading to goals from this squad would be difficult for any manager to overcome.

If we stay up, I reckon he'll stay and we'll have to see what sort of players can be signed in the summer. If the unthinkable happens, he'll be on his way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 86
GrimPol
March 31, 2024, 10:21am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -769
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from GrimRob
Seems like we are bottom feeders whoever the manager is. Gets harder every year. There are not many weak teams in this division. A few years ago they were a lot more and you had to be really bad to go down (and we were) . Chesterfield up next season and the 72 league clubs are as strong as they have been for a long time.

Just lets hope no Premier teams get demoted to League 2 then eh  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 86
RonMariner
March 31, 2024, 10:42am

Special Brew Drinker
I really don’t understand why we can’t be competitive in this division. Many smaller clubs than us are. Last seasons team were hardly world beaters but still finished 11th. So a modest improvement in squad quality should have seen us pushing on towards a playoff place.

The fact that we are struggling must therefore be down to truly abysmal summer recruitment. The goalkeeping fiasco has cost us loads of points. As has the over reliance on one quality, but often isolated striker.

Given the lack of pace, mobility, and basic ball playing skills of the current squad we need a big clear out and virtually total rebuild in the summer regardless of which division we end up in.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 86
Zmariner
March 31, 2024, 10:49am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from ginnywings
Given our appallingly bad showing over the last 2 decades, it is patently obvious that we just cannot attract the better players out there. Good players have options, and we are not at the top of the wish list of any aspiring footballer, so we end up with the make weights.

In the 85 games since we returned to the EFL, we have won a grand total of 24, and consistently have a negative goal difference over a very long time period. We have neither the finances nor the appeal to coax players of any ability to this footballing backwater, and that is what we are.

The club has been in a death spiral for years, desperately trying to cling to football league status, while other sides with seemingly less resources than us turn up week after week and just look better in every department than we do.

We have players who can't control the ball, pass the ball, beat opposition players with skill or nous, and generally look slower in thought and deed than our opponents almost on a weekly basis. We can't even get throw ins and free kicks right. We had three starters today in the spine of the team, who are young loanees with barely any experience of league football. What the fook do we expect to happen when that is allowed to happen, despite our healthy support base?

Most of our squad are non league standard at best and you can see that on the pitch in stark detail every time we step onto the pitch. Teams just let us have the ball, knowing we have little threat and will eventually make a gaffe of such epic proportions, that they will be presented with a guilt edge chance, which is why we concede with almost every opportunity the opposition have.

Is this the fault of Artell? I'm not a fan of his from even before he came here, but we have had countless managers over the years trying desperately to cobble together a winning side from the dregs of what's left after the better resourced and geographically placed teams have had the pick of the better players on offer.

I'm just about done with Town to be honest, and the constant looking forward to the next manager, the next squad, the next season, when the here and now is a never ending round of misery and disappointment.

Fooked off with football and for ever discussing where we go wrong and how we should put it right. Nothing changes does it? Looks like we may bore our way to another relegation in the Woods tradition of drawing countless games because we haven't got the players with the requisite steel, nous and determination to win at all costs.

This is just spot-on. I enjoy the company and the banter at the match but the football has been garbage for years. It is like groundhog day. We can have a good season in the National League against teams with very small support and as soon as we get back in the football league, we look out of our depth.
Truly bored senseless with the cycle and impossible to do another non league gig. Feel sorry for the owners as decent guys but relegation will be a financial disaster for us with huge apathy in the fan base. I think they have tried very hard and been unlucky with Artell, he is a bright enough guy but I tire of his blaming referees etc for our poor shows. His career as a football manager is very much on the line in the next week and I hope we come though it with at least one win but I am not confident
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 86
horsforthmariner
March 31, 2024, 11:04am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,633
Gold Stars: 9
So Ive never warmed to Artell. There's just something about his manner that really bugs me, but that may just be me and the type of people I gravitate too - he's a very Alpha male type of bloke and these aren't the type of people I hang around with - but I suspect most decent managers are Alpha Male types.

I think he made a mistake in trying to change the team to quickly. But as others have said the summer recruitment is where it all went wrong and to be fair his January transfer recruitments have been pretty good, Thompson, Tharme and Hume are all upgrades on what we have.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › 20 league games under Artell

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.