male private Nale
March 29, 2024, 11:09pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -924
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from chaos33
I haven’t listened to his post match interview. I can’t stomach his gaslighting and waffling nonsense any more than I can stand listening to him yelling endlessly on the touchline.
He’s just not for me.

More heavy headed gibberish, you do not seem to know whether you are coming or going, poor soul must be hard only having this in your life. Hope you don't go down the Aldi-01 rabbit hole
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 43
grassbandits
March 29, 2024, 11:15pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +118
Gold Stars: 5
Not suggesting any of these should play but do we know the current status of Maher, Glennon and Khouri? Just in terms of giving us more options
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 43
Mayaman
March 30, 2024, 12:49am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Just back to Manchester for a night out.

That was rinse and repeat of a number of games this season. Soft early goals and the game had gone. Did I hear Artell saying Obikwu had a great game? He and Wood are just not what we need in these sort of games, no guile or battle from either. Add that to daft mistakes and you are going to struggle.
Barrow had a good 3 or 4 players miles better suited than ours, Gotts and Stockdale ripped us as did Telford. Their CB also dominated us until Wilson came on and latterly Rose.
Add to that one of the worst stands I’ve ever sat in and it was pretty miserable. Two big home games then.

Happy birthday Trev.  I hope you didn't celebrate in the Barrow 'Spoons.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 43
Mayaman
March 30, 2024, 12:57am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

I will start my response by saying this is one of the worst teams I can remember watching in my 60+ years of following town. The re-election team in the late 60’s were pretty dire but when your eleven or twelve years old your just happy going to watch a game of professional football so it’s hard to compare never mind the time difference.

Anyway re the defence I will repeat the dire quality of our midfield doesn’t help but I thought both today and Saturday v Wrexham that on the whole the defence played ok. It sounds crazy when you concede six goals but other than those goals I didn’t really worry too much about us conceding a la Walsall and Donny games. The issue is individual errors probably cost us all six goals and it’s hard for any coach to eradicate these.

First goal v Wrexham - poor control from Holohan, poor challenge when ball lost and questionable keeping

Second goal - weak tackles in and around their penalty area, failure to make early foul to stop the break, ppoor challenge by Hume.

Third goal - Poor clearance by Tharme great finish by Mullins, probably not a goal against 90% of other L2 teams.

First goal today - Rodgers - just put it in row z

Second goal - terrible control by Thompson

Third goal - poor goalkeeping.

Add the fact that these players pretty much all lack pace and composure and I’m not sure the coaches could get  much more out of them. The recruitment has been so poor they don’t have much to work with.

I will also repeat the comment I made on Saturday, is Hume really any better then Glennon? He’s no quicker, not as good going forward and defensively it’s touch and go. Losing Glennon significantly dimishes us in the attacking third but everyone seems to disagree so maybe it’s just me that thinks he should be playing. Christ I’d play him in front of Hume at least he can control the bleeding ball.

I was thinking as I was watching that I wish Glennon was on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 43
Mayaman
March 30, 2024, 12:59am
Brandy Drinker
Obikwu was ok during spells of the game.  He did well at getting possession then he invariably panicked and ran into somebody or went down to get a free kick; which IMO is pointless because we can't do sweet FA with them.  I wish he's just go for it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 43
HerveJosse
March 30, 2024, 8:19am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 144
The fact that Glennon and Maher haven’t even been on the bench despite us being told they were largerly uninjured when the other driver drove into the back of them weeks ago now suggests to me that there absence is financially motivated( insurance claim) rather then wholly performance related. The fact that the interviewers never ask how they are and Artell never says just confirms to me discussion is off limits . I agree Hume is very average and there will be games at home against weaker opposition where we need more going forward where Glennon should  be preferred . Just another example of us all been taken for a ride by present shambles at our club
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 43
Maringer
March 30, 2024, 8:38am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,629
Gold Stars: 185
Hume is definitely quicker than Glennon (which isn't difficult), but I'm not sure how it is that he's a player who has spent the rest of his career at a higher level than League Two. Probably one of those who does well in a more capable team, but whose weaknesses are exposed when there is a shitshow going on around him.

If the unthinkable happens and we go down, I'll still put most of the blame on Hurst as his summer recruitment was so bad it was almost off the scale. I do think Artell's signings have strengthened the squad a bit, but he's not done his job of getting them to play consistently well (or even consistently decently). Haven't seen the goals from yesterday, but it sounds like it is the usual litany of individual errors. We've played well in a number of games since Artell arrived (mostly away from home), but have failed to win enough of them. We were very poor against FGR, but won in spite of it. We still ought to be able to get enough points to drag ourselves out of trouble but I'm less confident than I was a couple of weeks ago. It's almost as though the players have 'relaxed' and reduced the short-lived intensity we had discovered after thinking we were safe. Let's hope they can rediscover this. Those 2 points dropped due to the dodgy penalty decision (and missed chances) at Sutton look worryingly as though they might come back to bite us on the bottom.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 43
Theimperialcoroner
March 30, 2024, 9:39am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,246
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Mayaman

Happy birthday Trev.  I hope you didn't celebrate in the Barrow 'Spoons.

Cheers Man, I did dodge that bullet.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 43
Maringer
March 30, 2024, 9:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,629
Gold Stars: 185
Now watched the highlights. Spectacularly bad touches from our players for the first two goals. Professional footballers shouldn't be controlling a relatively simple ball so it lands 5 yards away from them. No real awkward bounces that I could see, just rubbish control. Pretty much what we've seen all season, I suppose. Given that Thompson is an experienced player who generally looks capable in possession, it's just an indication of a lack of concentration throughout the game.

What I did think was that with the chances for those first two goals, if the boot had been on the other foot, we might have managed to convert perhaps one of them? We're just not good enough in any area of the field. If we go down, it will be the chances missed as much as the goals conceded which will have led to it.

Back when we were in the Conference, I was always happy to see teams come and play a possession - based game and try to play it out from the back as they invariably made a few balls-ups which could be exploited. We've got a lot of Conference-standard players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 43
March 30, 2024, 10:08am
Guest User
I think it’s clear Hurst missed out on a few signings. I’m only guessing but I also think the plan was for Conteh to stay a season and then get a big step up from a well placed Town side. Clearly there was no plan B. Conteh was advised gtfo sharpish by his agent (fair enough) when the wheels fell off and the rest of it crumbled.

I’ve defended Hurst on here to my detriment. Pretty obvious he blew it with recruitment and panic signings. How he ever thought Eastwood was an improvement on Crocombe I will never know. I hate pointing the finger at players, but clearly Hurst and Artell agree.

I’ll be there on Monday. I don’t think we’ll get a win. A point maybe. We never beat Bradford and they got a decent win against Tranmere yesterday. Also, the crowd will be nervous and then angry if the early goal(s) kill it before 1.25pm.

Ugh.
Reply: 39 - 43
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.