2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Poojah
February 20, 2024, 10:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,576
Gold Stars: 1,502
Nothing really directly affecting us in League Two tonight, but Morecambe got slapped 3-0 away at Walsall. Is that good for us? Who knows, but it knocks them down to 7th from 2nd in the form guide. Incidentally, Salford are now second on form - who’d have thought that after we played them at the end of December.

BFS and Wrexham draw 1-1 and to keep things pretty tight at the top end, as Stockport draw 0-0 at Gillingham.

Elsewhere, the mudrats enjoy a cracking 2-1 win away at Southampton. When was the last time an unfancied side from the Humber estuary did that?

That’s a costly result for Southampton as it happens. Cafu (who knew?) scored a 94th minute penalty to make it 3-3 for Rotherham away at Ipswich, only for the tractor boys to nick it 4-3 in the 95th. Some job Kieran McKenna has done at Portman Road.

Down in the National League, Mani scores 2 and Waterfall plays 90 minutes as Hartlepool beat Altrincham 3-2. The monkey hangers making a late bid for the play-offs with 16 points from their last available 21. Still 6 points shy, but in Waterfall and Dieseruvwe they have the experience to do it. Would be absolutely fúcking galling though if those two, and the permacrock Khan, swapped places next season.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Marinerdeano
February 20, 2024, 10:58pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
Stephen Wearne leads the line for MK Dons after a brace on Saturday. So many players flop here and do it elsewhere.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 19
Norseman
February 20, 2024, 11:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
Orsi scored again
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 19
RexFannies
February 20, 2024, 11:35pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +517
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Marinerdeano
Stephen Wearne leads the line for MK Dons after a brace on Saturday. So many players flop here and do it elsewhere.

I wouldn’t say he flopped. 2 or 3 games out of the 8 he got he played well. Didn’t really get a chance.

The Only Way Is Up
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 3 - 19
Marinerdeano
February 20, 2024, 11:52pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from RexFannies

I wouldn’t say he flopped. 2 or 3 games out of the 8 he got he played well. Didn’t really get a chance.

Flop the wrong word but don't seem to get a look in. Or do we'll like Mani and then leave.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 19
Nelly GTFC
February 21, 2024, 1:19am
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,753
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Marinerdeano
Dan Jones playing in league one, Joe Ironside done well as well.  Who else from the Hurst era?

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> https://footballclubforums.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 19
Spidey
February 21, 2024, 2:07am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +382
Gold Stars: 4
Don't forget to mention Scunny's score!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 19
thornemariner
February 21, 2024, 4:31am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +655
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from Poojah
Nothing really directly affecting us in League Two tonight, but Morecambe got slapped 3-0 away at Walsall. Is that good for us? Who knows, but it knocks them down to 7th from 2nd in the form guide. Incidentally, Salford are now second on form - who’d have thought that after we played them at the end of December.

BFS and Wrexham draw 1-1 and to keep things pretty tight at the top end, as Stockport draw 0-0 at Gillingham.

Elsewhere, the mudrats enjoy a cracking 2-1 win away at Southampton. When was the last time an unfancied side from the Humber estuary did that?

That’s a costly result for Southampton as it happens. Cafu (who knew?) scored a 94th minute penalty to make it 3-3 for Rotherham away at Ipswich, only for the tractor boys to nick it 4-3 in the 95th. Some job Kieran McKenna has done at Portman Road.

Down in the National League, Mani scores 2 and Waterfall plays 90 minutes as Hartlepool beat Altrincham 3-2. The monkey hangers making a late bid for the play-offs with 16 points from their last available 21. Still 6 points shy, but in Waterfall and Dieseruvwe they have the experience to do it. Would be absolutely fúcking galling though if those two, and the permacrock Khan, swapped places next season.

Mani and Waterfall scored on Saturday. I always liked Mani.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 19
Poojah
February 21, 2024, 7:48am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from thornemariner

21 goals for him this season. Could hit 30 by the end of the season.

He’s done well since he arrived here with one of the most average scoring records you could ever wish to see for a striker.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 19
Mariner Timsky
February 21, 2024, 7:49am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Poojah

Regarding our League looks like it's going to be some battle for them Play Off places - Walsall who got a win last night are sat in 16th - 16th!! - are now just 3 points off 7th  

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 19
Poojah
February 21, 2024, 7:56am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mariner Timsky

Regarding our League looks like it's going to be some battle for them Play Off places - Walsall who got a win last night are sat in 16th - 16th!! - are now just 3 points off 7th  

10 teams effectively vying for one spot. That’s quite something at this stage of the season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 19
Mallyner
February 21, 2024, 8:22am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from thornemariner

I liked him very much too, as I did Orsi.

I thought Mani was an excellent leader of the line a true centre forward, who won the ball in the air and directed it well too, but perhaps like Emile Heskey the big guy who played for England for many years,  has not scored a vast amount of goals.

Up to now.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 19
diehardmariner
February 21, 2024, 8:45am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Dan Jones playing in league one, Joe Ironside done well as well.  Who else from the Hurst era?

Ironside looked very average when on trial here, worth noting that he was still a young lad. Hurst had one space left in his squad at that point and opted to use it on another trialist, Craig Clay.

Ironside then ended up in the Conference North, not doing a lot at Alfreton and only two years later showing his promise.  It wasn't until 5 years after his trial with Town that he delivered at a higher level than the sixth tier.

Orsi, Mani and Wearne are all very good and frustrating examples of Hurst bringing someone in and then letting them slip through the fingers. Mani will always have that 'could he do it at League Two' level question about him. I suspect we'll find out next season, one way or another. His history isn't great but rightly pointed out that his spell here looks to be a bit of a catalyst for the lad.

Orsi is doing it at this level, having shown in his brief chances that he was more than capable. Wearne simply never got a chance, which begs the question as to why we signed him in the first place.

The most annoying thing is that all 3 of those attackers would be a great compliment to our current attack. The one thing I just can't get my head round with these situations is the ehtos of the club is all about continuous improvement isn't it? Yet two absolute corner stones of that approach is a) you've got to change something (same process = same results) but crucially b) the evidence of continuous improvement is done over time, you don't react to single instances and take it as concrete evidence. In the case of someone like Wearne, you don't judge him solely on a 15 minute cameo and ditch him because he didn't score 4 goals. You see his impact over a sustained period of time.

I'm at the point where I'm feeling more uncomfortable (largely owing to results) with the owners of the club enforcing a style of play, this "Grimsby Way" and trying to fit everything around it. It feels like revolution rather than evolution. However I would and do want this improvement, evolution, whatever you want to call it, to be something that runs through the club. If we're signing players, either give them a chance or don't bother in the first place.

It just feels a bit, again no doubt a feeling dragged down by recent results, that we're neither in or out on anything. We're tickling things that sound and look right, but we're not committing to it. Even on the data front.  If we're doing it on data then there's no flipping way we're leaving Wilson and Pyke on the bench ahead of an Academy kid who looks lost.  Are we in on that approach or does it just sound good?
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 19
forza ivano
February 21, 2024, 9:46am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,204
Gold Stars: 265
I see Khouri wasn't playing for Spennymoor last night. Is he injured again?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 19
chaos33
February 21, 2024, 11:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Mani has 21 goals this season.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 19
mariner91
February 21, 2024, 12:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,657
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Mariner Timsky

That's not a good thing for us in my opinion. Silly season usually throws up odd results when you have crap teams playing teams who no longer have anything to play for. The longer more teams have a shot at the play offs, the less chance of them slipping up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 19
thornemariner
February 21, 2024, 1:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Approval: +655
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from Mallyner

I liked him very much too, as I did Orsi.

I thought Mani was an excellent leader of the line a true centre forward, who won the ball in the air and directed it well too, but perhaps like Emile Heskey the big guy who played for England for many years,  has not scored a vast amount of goals.

Up to now.

I've looked at how Mani has been doing since he left and am really pleased he's knocking in the goals now. Good luck to the lad. He had a good goals to games ratio with us if I recall correctly.

He scored in the 95th minute for Town against Woking which turned about to be the last Grimsby game one of our friends saw before she died a few weeks after promotion. I'll always be grateful to him for that.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 19
CSLM
February 21, 2024, 2:31pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +642
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from mariner91

That's not a good thing for us in my opinion. Silly season usually throws up odd results when you have crap teams playing teams who no longer have anything to play for. The longer more teams have a shot at the play offs, the less chance of them slipping up.

Same for the other teams though?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 19
White_shorts
February 21, 2024, 5:54pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -647
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Poojah
When was the last time an unfancied side from the Humber estuary won at Southampton?

You know perfectly well that it was us last season in the FA Cup.  Please don't mention Hull winning.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 19
1mickylyons
February 21, 2024, 5:56pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Shocking but true 145 Rotherham fans at Ipswich for a championship game  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Other results tonight

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.