Rick12
July 6, 2023, 12:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from rancido

To the best of my knowledge, no team has to enter the FA Cup.
Still feel it means a lot to players playing in the oldest world club cup competition in the world . Remember talking to one lad who played in it for a league club and he still considers it a honour to play in the FA Cup

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 47
DB
July 6, 2023, 1:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.46
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,046
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from Rick12
Still feel it means a lot to players playing in the oldest world club cup competition in the world . Remember talking to one lad who played in it for a league club and he still considers it a honour to play in the FA Cup

I agree with that and also believe it means a lot to grass root football clubs who might get a chance to play against the Pro's of the game. There are also the fans, regardless of club, who have looked at the Fa Cup Final as something special.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 47
Abdul19
July 6, 2023, 1:54pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,576
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Rick12
Shame for me when Man United had to pull out of the FA Cup some years back to play in the world club competition.

My mates are all United fans and they were gutted.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 47
Les Brechin
July 6, 2023, 2:02pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
Why don't we just do away with all this football nonsense and just settle games on the toss of a coin?

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 47
Rick12
July 6, 2023, 2:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from DB

There are also the fans, regardless of club, who have looked at the Fa Cup Final as something special.

Yes . Always love looking forward to the FA cup  final as well with all the traditions attached eg playing of abide with me.

Quoted from Abdul19

My mates are all United fans and they were gutted.
Looking back at press reports there was a lot of dismay amongst some of the national media and rightly so. Football means so much to many people and this hurt. I remember watching the excellent TV show on Netflix,  Sunderland till I die and they captured some of the emotion amongst fans. For some football means so much and clubs are at the almost  centerpiece of such  people's lives.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 47
thornemariner
July 6, 2023, 2:59pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +665
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from heppy88
Nothing lasts forever and neither will the premiership. Money and power corrupts and that corruption will see the whole thing come crashing down. But although we moan about them, none of us would moan if we did a Luton, or if we had another good cup run drawing premiership teams along the way. We wouldn’t turn down the tv money and worldwide attention of playing against the elite sides. But all that aside, I feel for the real fans of these clubs, watching, as the life and soul of the thing they love, is sucked out, by owners who would make Fleetwood’s Andy Pilley seem like Florence Nightingale!

I went to Man United v Brentford in April and recognised two Bees fans. A friend and his daughter. Likewise, I was the only person he recognised. The other 3000 or so certainly hadn't been among the 120 away fans at Port Vale years ago. Sure, you pick up more fans with success but if you think we moan on The Fishy, you want to see the self-entitled drivel (you don't actually) on some Brentford sites from more recent fans.

You always want to see your club playing the best teams but there isn't anything like a good old-fashioned away win in the lower leagues.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 47
rancido
July 6, 2023, 7:33pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,617
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from DB

I agree with that and also believe it means a lot to grass root football clubs who might get a chance to play against the Pro's of the game. There are also the fans, regardless of club, who have looked at the Fa Cup Final as something special.

Exactly and that is what makes what Manure did so despicable. They deprived one or several teams the opportunity to play against one of the biggest teams in the football world.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 47
Maringer
July 7, 2023, 8:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,641
Gold Stars: 188
It's the F.A. Challenge Cup. It's supposed to be challenging the holders which made the Manyoo absence all the worse.

In most countries, the big clubs don't really give a hoot about the national Cup competition and it would be very sad if the same thing happened to the world's oldest club competition. The League Cup has been 'devalued' by moving it much earlier in the year so, even though it is usually one of the bigger clubs that wins it, they don't really make much of the event unless they've not won something for years. Looks like the F.A. Cup will be heading the same way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The FA bending over for the big boys

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.