Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Barrow Stadium Capacity Increase.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 147 Guests

Barrow Stadium Capacity Increase.

This thread currently has 2,023 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Nelly GTFC
June 10, 2023, 1:11am
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,753
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from The Mail in South Cumbria | Posted: 15 May 2023
The club has submitted a proposal to Westmorland and Furness Council to keep Holker Street stadium compliant with English Football League (EFL) regulations and to provide 2,000 covered seats by August 1, 2023. The ground currently has only 1,130, with a total existing capacity of 5,449. The application is for: "Installation of two new 'temporary' covered grandstands adjacent to Wilkie Road and seating in front of the Cross Bar and associated works." The plan would see the capacity increased to 'circa 6,300 to 6500'. The statement says: "The number of away fans will increase from around 650 to around 950.

"The structures proposed for use are second-hand, from the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham, not only reducing costs but also reducing the environmental impact of building brand new equipment." An area of the ground would be demolished as part of the proposal. The statement says: "The area which houses the away fans causes the club and the council safety advisory group significant and continued concern, part of which has been barriered off since July 2022, such is the concern. "The works proposed demolishes the area and removes all areas of concern."
Sources:  https://www.barrowafc.com/news/2023/may/ground-renovations-begin/ / https://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/23519376.barrow-afc-submits-plan-increase-holker-street-capacity/

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Online
Private Message
Mappers
June 10, 2023, 5:45am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,326
Gold Stars: 118
Sutton are adding seats next season to , so there will be a larger away allocation ,around 1k I think .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 12
HertsGTFC
June 10, 2023, 6:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,952
Gold Stars: 228
Interesting article but my first impression was “so what”?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 12
acko338
June 10, 2023, 7:26am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,223
Gold Stars: 33
If these structures are available from unused stadiums,  could the very old Main Stand be replaced at less cost than a complete new build?

Or-

Covered corner seating to increase capacity?

Any old structures got some decent built in PA equipment??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 12
Mappers
June 10, 2023, 7:32am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from acko338
If these structures are available from unused stadiums,  could the very old Main Stand be replaced at less cost than a complete new build?

Or-

Any old structures got some decent built in PA equipment??

I think adding a covered temporary stand in 1 corner would be a good idea , but i suppose it has to be cost effective - does the amount of games we would need it - 6 or 7 when the away teams could fill the osmond make a good case , or do we  make better use of the osmond ; we could use the larger section for probably 15 games - maybe if we could fill that every week it would be a more pressing issue ; no doubt if we went up more capacity would be required .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 12
diehardmariner
June 10, 2023, 7:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Mappers

I think adding a covered temporary stand in 1 corner would be a good idea , but i suppose it has to be cost effective - does the amount of games we would need it - 6 or 7 when the away teams could fill the osmond make a good case , or do we  make better use of the osmond ; we could use the larger section for probably 15 games - maybe if we could fill that every week it would be a more pressing issue ; no doubt if we went up more capacity would be required .

Argument from pretty much the whole of last season.

There's empty seats but people still can't get tickets they want to buy (excrement views or not able to buy as a group).

Truth be told, we were dogshit to watch at home last season. Yet we still had the above situation occur more often than not.  This year the expectation is we'll be both more competitive at the top end of the table and you would hope more entertaining. Quite confident we'll have a recurring theme of more people wanting to come to games but can't, or at least can't get suitable seats.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 12
Mappers
June 10, 2023, 8:18am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner

Argument from pretty much the whole of last season.

There's empty seats but people still can't get tickets they want to buy (excrement views or not able to buy as a group).

Truth be told, we were dogshit to watch at home last season. Yet we still had the above situation occur more often than not.  This year the expectation is we'll be both more competitive at the top end of the table and you would hope more entertaining. Quite confident we'll have a recurring theme of more people wanting to come to games but can't, or at least can't get suitable seats.

Yeah , I know it's been done to death this one .

Pettit said on the podcast interview around 100 are releasing their  seats when they can't/won't go so that's about 100/700-1000 ; meaning about 80% plus are not releasing , i'm not sure there is much the club can do about apart from keep giving gentle reminders - personally I would not go down the route of incentives to not go or if we did somewhat minor one's - people know what they are buying when they purchase a ST and need to decide themselves whether it's viable for them .

I would like to see a  more flexible option at some point on ticketing 6 games , 12 games  , flexible 12 month payments etc it seems to be doing really well at Hull for example - thinking outside the box a little .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 12
Brummie Codfather
June 10, 2023, 10:32am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +852
Gold Stars: 21
Not sure those stands will last more than a couple of years from seeing them at the Commonwealth games, but not a bad temporary ideal whip they do some building work.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 12
WOZOFGRIMSBY
June 10, 2023, 3:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,842
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from acko338

It’s a shame that the fanzone is in the cons corner, as this, imo, would be the perfect place to put any form of temporary seating. This could’ve then been used specifically for away fans, and then use half of the osmond for an overflow for larger followings.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 12
Grantham_Mariner
June 10, 2023, 3:57pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,190
Gold Stars: 51
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

It’s a shame that the fanzone is in the cons corner, as this, imo, would be the perfect place to put any form of temporary seating. This could’ve then been used specifically for away fans, and then use half of the osmond for an overflow for larger followings.

Isn't the Fan Zone none permanent ( portable catering units and storage containers etc.) ?

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 12
Nelly GTFC
June 10, 2023, 6:06pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,753
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Interesting article but my first impression was “so what”?
lol yeah, I was just noseying on other club websites incase I had missed any signings, but a couple of things.  Does anyone know how many fans we have taken in the past to Barrow? I haven't looked back, but seem to think we played them on Tuesdays mostly?  Maybe we will fill the away end with the increase to 950 away end.

The temporary seating took my eye as well, I wonder how much its costing them to implement, would be nice if we could get one of the corners with extra seating - if (hopefully) we have a good season and challenge around play-offs or above, we might well make use of it...?

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 12
WOZOFGRIMSBY
June 10, 2023, 6:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,842
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

Isn't the Fan Zone none permanent ( portable catering units and storage containers etc.) ?

Of course it is 🤦🏻‍♂️

I suppose it may even get more use if it was in the imp corner, although maybe restricted on space.

Don’t get me wrong, and although I’ve only been in there 3 times, I think it’s a brilliant area to have it. For me when I watch on tv, I look at the Harrington st corner and am taken aback by how bleak it looks. Would it be feasible for the club to have an area there instead of the bar under the pontoon. Am thinking out loud more than suggesting this. Maybe even similar to something like the photo

Attachment: img_3898_9587.jpeg
Size: 160.97 KB

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 12
HertsGTFC
June 10, 2023, 8:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,952
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
lol yeah, I was just noseying on other club websites incase I had missed any signings, but a couple of things.  Does anyone know how many fans we have taken in the past to Barrow? I haven't looked back, but seem to think we played them on Tuesdays mostly?  Maybe we will fill the away end with the increase to 950 away end.

The temporary seating took my eye as well, I wonder how much its costing them to implement, would be nice if we could get one of the corners with extra seating - if (hopefully) we have a good season and challenge around play-offs or above, we might well make use of it...?

Definitely would like to see the corners both sides of the Ponny full of supporters. That’s something we’ve lost since the terraces went.

I seem to recall that on DN35 at the end of the season Andrew & Jason said they were looking at options.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 12
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Barrow Stadium Capacity Increase.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.