2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
OddShapedBalls
May 10, 2023, 8:59am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 40
Interesting article on the beeb about the issues the two Milan giants face in getting a new stadium/s sorted, the San Siro was built in 1926 and renovated in 1990  (not sure what they are complaining about really, 1926 was practically yesterday compared to sections of Blundell park) and as such loses out massively to newer stadia money wise:

Structurally, the current stadium would be expensive to renovate. Aesthetically, the costs would soar. Many of the seats remain from the 1990 upgrade. Toilet facilities are basic. The two clubs look on in envy at how English clubs can boost their revenue through their corporate facilities.

In 2022, the Deloitte Money League showed Inter generated €44m (£38.48m) in matchday income. AC Milan generated €32m (£27.99m). By contrast, Tottenham, in their new stadium, generated €125m (£109.3m).

It's quite revealing that 2 clubs who bring in hundreds of millions a year in tv money, matchday income etc and are both owned by multi-millionaire corporations are struggling to get a new stadium sorted, renovating the current one would be too problematic and expensive, the proposed new site in the city has lots of opposition and they are having to look at out-of-town locations as a backup.  

[url]https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65490140[/url]

Logged Offline
Private Message
Southwark Mariner
May 10, 2023, 11:12am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,558
Gold Stars: 83
Perhaps Alessandro Maggio could help them out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 10
aldi_01
May 10, 2023, 11:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Italian stadia is a complex beast, few have had new stadiums since italia 90, some have had facelifts and upgrades but with the exception of Juventus (mafia and dodgy deals got this over the line) and Frosinone, most are still playing in old style stadiums where facilities are somewhat basic…

Sassuolo have a new ground which isn’t too bad, but again, there’s a whole raft of political and dodgy excrement that attaches itself to the story.

Having visited a fair view italian grounds, if you’re after a plush seat, a fancy selection of food and drinks then you’re out of look. If you wanna see a rocking atmosphere, grab a decently priced ale and have s good time then you’re in luck.

The Milan clubs have been through the mill of late and I’d imagine, without looking too much into local Milanese politics, the fact the city generate some income from the stadium means they’re reluctant to allow them to build their own stadium…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 10
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 10, 2023, 11:57am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,886
Gold Stars: 178
I remember watching football Italia and was in awe of these grand stadia but they always seemed to have the ends behind the goals miles away. That was until I saw the Parma and the sampdoria grounds. Parma reminded me of loftus road and how on top of the pitch it looked, almost like your typical British stadium. And sampdoria was the same, almost akin to ibrox (I hadn’t been to ibrox at the time) with the brickwork.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 10
Poojah
May 10, 2023, 12:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,637
Gold Stars: 1,504
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
I remember watching football Italia and was in awe of these grand stadia but they always seemed to have the ends behind the goals miles away. That was until I saw the Parma and the sampdoria grounds. Parma reminded me of loftus road and how on top of the pitch it looked, almost like your typical British stadium. And sampdoria was the same, almost akin to ibrox (I hadn’t been to ibrox at the time) with the brickwork.

If you want to go visit Sampdoria’s ground but don’t have the time, money or inclination to get yourself over to Genoa, then you can always pay Preston a visit.

They ripped it off just like Siena ripped off our Dock Tower…

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ddzi6wnVwAAwehE.jpg[/img]

[img]https://www.caftours.com/magazine/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/torre-mangia-tower-siena.jpg[/img]

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 10
aldi_01
May 10, 2023, 12:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Samp is mega, been to the derby and it’s the most English like stadium, other than Juve. That said, it’s still not in mega condition and behind the goal the bogs, seats etc aren’t in great shape. I don’t think Italian fans are that arsed…especially behind the goals…

Siena deffo nicked our dock tower design though…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 10
Total Hawsehole
May 10, 2023, 2:02pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +140
Gold Stars: 2
Wasn't Blundell Park described as "the windy San Siro of the North" in the National press following the famous Everton win in 1979?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 10
OddShapedBalls
May 10, 2023, 4:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Poojah

If you want to go visit Sampdoria’s ground but don’t have the time, money or inclination to get yourself over to Genoa, then you can always pay Preston a visit.

They ripped it off just like Siena ripped off our Dock Tower…

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ddzi6wnVwAAwehE.jpg[/img]

[img]https://www.caftours.com/magazine/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/torre-mangia-tower-siena.jpg[/img]

Anything not nailed down, I tell you!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 10
aldi_01
May 11, 2023, 6:30am

Barley Wine Drinker
Been thinking about this a bit more, especially in terms of the financial people talking about matchday income.

Spurs fill their stadium every single game, exec boxes full, fancy seats full, normal seats full; Milan/inter do not, over the last few seasons, with the exception of last year, both clubs have been bang average really so the stadium has only ever been full for big games. Then, factor in that that’s a detailed pricing structure at San siro that ranges from very cheap to very expensive…

It got me thinking about matchday income at GTFC and how that must look huge compared to previous years. We’ve had two seasons of pretty consistent, high for us, attendances….improved food and drinks offerings, all must be a positive impact on the club coffers. Im not getting into the debate about needing a new stadium etc but I am curious as to what matchday income looks like now as opposed to say 2017/18 season…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 10
DB
May 11, 2023, 6:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.47
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,039
Gold Stars: 390
Luton are on the move from Kenilworth Road at a cost of £100 million for a 23,000 capacity stadium.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-65483745

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 10
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › San Siro/Blundell Park

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.