aldi_01
May 2, 2023, 6:57am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from GollyGTFC
We’re on 58 points going into our final match and sat 12th. However that might be a bit deceptive.

Our first season under Russell Slade saw us finish on 58 points but in a lowly 18th place.

The 2006/07 season managed by Graham Rodger and Alan Buckley III saw us finish on 59 points in 15th.

Our first season back after our first spell in the National League was a chaotic season. Hurst dismantled his promotion winning side over the summer, then left in October. Bignot came in and brought in several new signings, before he was sacked in April. Russell Slade was then brought in and oversaw the final 5 matches. Despite all that we finished in 14th on 62 points- more than we can achieve this season.

So whereas we might sneak a top half finish this season let’s not kid ourselves that this season has been our best league season since dropping to this level in 2004 other than the 2005/06 season. It hasn’t. It’s very much more of the same.

It’s very nice that this season appears to offer a low points bar to achieve a top half finish, but let’s not pat ourselves on the back and think we’ve achieved something. The fact we’ve finished with less points than we did in 2016/17 should be a wake up call. We need to make a huge step forward over the summer.

Harsh to say Hurst dismantles it considering we know the challenge he was put under by the idiot at the top…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 36
GollyGTFC
May 2, 2023, 7:21am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,048
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from aldi_01

Harsh to say Hurst dismantles it considering we know the challenge he was put under by the idiot at the top…

Where did I criticise him? He was right to. We scraped up by the skin of our teeth in 2016.

Robertson retired. We didn’t really try (as a club) to retain Toto, Amond, Nolan and Tait. Nathan Arnold left. Monkhouse was put out to stud. Craig Clay was realeased along with a swath ot squad players.

Other than Craig Clay & not making competitive offers to Toto, Amond & Nolan (who wouldn’t have stayed anyway) that was the correct outcome.

A complete rebuild was needed whether we had been promoted or not.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 36
GollyGTFC
May 2, 2023, 7:25am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,048
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from lukeo
We're in the football league and got to the quarter final of the fa Cup. Smile for once

The thread is entitled “final league position”. If it was called “final league position and cup performance” I would have commented on the FA Cup run and given as overview of the entire season in all competitions.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 12 - 36
HertsGTFC
May 2, 2023, 9:15am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Where did I criticise him? He was right to. We scraped up by the skin of our teeth in 2016.

Robertson retired. We didn’t really try (as a club) to retain Toto, Amond, Nolan and Tait. Nathan Arnold left. Monkhouse was put out to stud. Craig Clay was realeased along with a swath ot squad players.

Other than Craig Clay & not making competitive offers to Toto, Amond & Nolan (who wouldn’t have stayed anyway) that was the correct outcome.

A complete rebuild was needed whether we had been promoted or not.

There where 2 promotion places and we won t the semi away after going behind in the first leg and won the play off final 3 - 1, and all barring 15 minutes after half time we looked like worthy winners, if that's "scraping up" then I'm not sure how you'd describe last season. Worth noting the season we came up Hurst had a skin flint budget and when he left we where on the verge of a play off position.  

I did agree we need to improve in several areas if we are going to get promoted, what I don't get is why many supporters expect if not demand it to be next season.

In terms of this season all I ask is that we play a similar side next Monday to the one we played versus Crewe and go all out attack as after poor home form the home support deserve a big win with plenty of goals for Town.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 36
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 2, 2023, 9:55am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307
WE DIDN'T WIN AUTOMATIC PROMOTION BY AT LEAST A TEN POINT GAP AND WE DIDN'T AVERAGE 7 GOALS PER GAME AT HOME AND WE DIDN'T BEAT WREXHAM 10 NIL HOME AND AWAY.

WE ARE SH*T

HURST OUT

PS AND WE LOST TO BRIGHTON AND THEY ARE SH*T

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 36
OddShapedBalls
May 2, 2023, 10:15am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.02
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,193
Gold Stars: 40
Last game of the season has 'scrappy draw' written all over it, we bag a point and stay exactly where we are in the table is my prediction
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 36
ginnywings
May 2, 2023, 12:05pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
I think PH is unhappy with the way this season has gone, and has clearly been frustrated at times, but like us he realises that because we unexpectedly got promoted last season, it was pretty much a make do and mend season for this one. Had he been able to get a couple of goal scorers over the line, we may well have won a good few more points, because we weren't that far away from winning more games.

Good thing is, we are now established in League 2, with more preparation time and a decent budget.

Basically, we are now in the position we would have been last season had he been able to keep us up 2 years ago and I think the squad has done a remarkable job to get us to where we are now, but it's time to say thanks and goodbye to a lot of them.

I expect us to be much better in the coming season and looking up, rather than spending yet another season worrying about being too near the bottom.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 36
May 2, 2023, 12:47pm
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings
I think PH is unhappy with the way this season has gone, and has clearly been frustrated at times, but like us he realises that because we unexpectedly got promoted last season, it was pretty much a make do and mend season for this one. Had he been able to get a couple of goal scorers over the line, we may well have won a good few more points, because we weren't that far away from winning more games.

Good thing is, we are now established in League 2, with more preparation time and a decent budget.

Basically, we are now in the position we would have been last season had he been able to keep us up 2 years ago and I think the squad has done a remarkable job to get us to where we are now, but it's time to say thanks and goodbye to a lot of them.

I expect us to be much better in the coming season and looking up, rather than spending yet another season worrying about being too near the bottom.

100% agree with this.

Reply: 17 - 36
DB
May 2, 2023, 1:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from ginnywings

I think this is a very good assessment of this season. We should have a better season next year.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 36
HertsGTFC
May 2, 2023, 3:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from 123614

100% agree with this.

I also 100% agree with what you're 100% agreeing with.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 36
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Final league position

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.