2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
kafunanapar140909
April 11, 2023, 4:57pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +575
Gold Stars: 50
It has been mentioned on a few threads, and Hurst made a passing reference to it in his RH interview after Donny, so I thought I’d look into whether we actually have played significantly more minutes across this season compared to other clubs (plus it gave a me a reason to procrastinate from work on return from the Easter hols).

Whilst I’m obviously quite sad to spend time looking at stats for minutes played (here for anybody who’s interested: https://fbref.com/en/squads/a18a87d7/Grimsby-Town-Stats), I’m not sad enough to compile them for the entire league. I’ve looked at nine clubs: us, those immediately around us, a couple from the bottom of the league and a few from the top. I’m assuming the numbers are representative of the whole division.

I looked at minutes played across squads but limited it to players who have made at least 10 appearances and who have also made at least five starts so far (in other words, they’ve actually contributed to their team). See below. Stats show the number of qualifying players per club, total minutes accumulated by those players and the average number of minutes played per player, per squad across the season so far (in all comps). TL;DR – the bit in bold at the bottom is the important bit:

Leyton Orient (top of the league)
19 players. Total mins: 39,886 - average: 2,099 per player

Carlisle (play-offs)
21 players. Total mins: 42,177 - average: 2008pp

Bradford (play-offs)
21 players. Total mins: 40,032 - average: 1,906pp

Swindon (51 points with us)
21 players. Total mins: 37,769 - average: 1,799pp

Walsall (on 51 points with us)
21 players. Total mins: 43,631 - average: 2,078pp

Doncaster (51 points with us)
22 players. Total mins: 40,122 - average: 1,823pp

Hartlepool (battling relegation)
24 players. Total mins: 41,434 - average: 1,726pp

Rochdale (battling relegation)
22 players. Total mins: 40,142 - average: 1,825pp

League average (based on the other eight club totals):
171 players. Total mins: 325, 193 – average: 1,902 mins played, per player

GTFC
20 players. Total mins: 46,381 - average: 2,319 mins played, per player

Instinctively we probably all knew that we’ve played more than most teams this year, but I think the stats are pretty stark: assuming the other eight clubs’ data can be roughly extrapolated across the division, every one of our players (that’s 20 players who have made at least 10 apps, 5 starts) has played about 417 more minutes than their League 2 counterparts – which is over four-and-a-half matches.

Yes, I know that they’re professional athletes and so should be able to cope with a few extra games, but the point is that they’re competing against opponents who are also professional athletes. Playing an extra 400+ minutes is bound to have an impact (and that’s before we start taking into consideration that better players might be more affected due to being picked more often, more important to the side and so on). Also, none of this considers the fact that we had that ridiculously short turnaround last summer, after a brutal, biblical play-off campaign.

The bottom line is that our players are scrapping their backsides off for points, busting a gut whilst playing minutes well beyond other sides in the league. It may not be pretty at times, but there is a fighting spirit within a squad which is trying desperately to avoid ending the season in a whimper. Now Doncaster – that’s a side whose season has fizzled out. At least we have a bit of fight left, even when running on empty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
mimma
April 11, 2023, 5:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
Also the amount of travelling we have done recently. We've had some long trips in the last eight weeks compared to most teams. No wonder the players are running on empty
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 12
It Bites
April 11, 2023, 5:22pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,257
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from kafunanapar140909
It has been mentioned on a few threads, and Hurst made a passing reference to it in his RH interview after Donny, so I thought I’d look into whether we actually have played significantly more minutes across this season compared to other clubs (plus it gave a me a reason to procrastinate from work on return from the Easter hols).

Whilst I’m obviously quite sad to spend time looking at stats for minutes played (here for anybody who’s interested: https://fbref.com/en/squads/a18a87d7/Grimsby-Town-Stats), I’m not sad enough to compile them for the entire league. I’ve looked at nine clubs: us, those immediately around us, a couple from the bottom of the league and a few from the top. I’m assuming the numbers are representative of the whole division.

I looked at minutes played across squads but limited it to players who have made at least 10 appearances and who have also made at least five starts so far (in other words, they’ve actually contributed to their team). See below. Stats show the number of qualifying players per club, total minutes accumulated by those players and the average number of minutes played per player, per squad across the season so far (in all comps). TL;DR – the bit in bold at the bottom is the important bit:

Leyton Orient (top of the league)
19 players. Total mins: 39,886 - average: 2,099 per player

Carlisle (play-offs)
21 players. Total mins: 42,177 - average: 2008pp

Bradford (play-offs)
21 players. Total mins: 40,032 - average: 1,906pp

Swindon (51 points with us)
21 players. Total mins: 37,769 - average: 1,799pp

Walsall (on 51 points with us)
21 players. Total mins: 43,631 - average: 2,078pp

Doncaster (51 points with us)
22 players. Total mins: 40,122 - average: 1,823pp

Hartlepool (battling relegation)
24 players. Total mins: 41,434 - average: 1,726pp

Rochdale (battling relegation)
22 players. Total mins: 40,142 - average: 1,825pp

League average (based on the other eight club totals):
171 players. Total mins: 325, 193 – average: 1,902 mins played, per player

GTFC
20 players. Total mins: 46,381 - average: 2,319 mins played, per player

Instinctively we probably all knew that we’ve played more than most teams this year, but I think the stats are pretty stark: assuming the other eight clubs’ data can be roughly extrapolated across the division, every one of our players (that’s 20 players who have made at least 10 apps, 5 starts) has played about 417 more minutes than their League 2 counterparts – which is over four-and-a-half matches.

Yes, I know that they’re professional athletes and so should be able to cope with a few extra games, but the point is that they’re competing against opponents who are also professional athletes. Playing an extra 400+ minutes is bound to have an impact (and that’s before we start taking into consideration that better players might be more affected due to being picked more often, more important to the side and so on). Also, none of this considers the fact that we had that ridiculously short turnaround last summer, after a brutal, biblical play-off campaign.

The bottom line is that our players are scrapping their backsides off for points, busting a gut whilst playing minutes well beyond other sides in the league. It may not be pretty at times, but there is a fighting spirit within a squad which is trying desperately to avoid ending the season in a whimper. Now Doncaster – that’s a side whose season has fizzled out. At least we have a bit of fight left, even when running on empty.

Brilliant mate . At last a stat that actually tells a story
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 12
immariner
April 11, 2023, 6:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 61
Someone with more sports physiology knowledge than me will know how much total minutes played has an impact vs average recovery time. Even though we've played probably 4-5 more games than the average L2 team, I'm not sure many players have started 3 games in a row other than Crocombe, the CBs and possibly Clifton. Could well be wrong on that though. Also, for teams that haven't had an ever-present goalkeeper like we have, their numbers could be skewed slightly lower on that basis. Not that I'm disputing the stats, they paint an interesting picture, but just a couple of things that came to mind. Hopefully the short journey to Doncaster and the late win will energise the lads for Saturday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 12
aldi_01
April 11, 2023, 6:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
And a four week pre season…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 12
WOZOFGRIMSBY
April 11, 2023, 7:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,906
Gold Stars: 180
Have I read it wrong or does that show as max having a shot 🤷🏻‍♂️

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 12
forza ivano
April 11, 2023, 7:39pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,269
Gold Stars: 266
Here's some other stats . All these players have only had 5-6 weeks off in 19 months

McAtee 68 , Taylor 71 (both have had long term injury lay offs)

Andy Smith 67, Michee Efete 76 - both playing their first ever seasons of professional football

Gavan Holohan 79

Max Crocombe 83

Luke Waterfall 90 (at 32 years of age0

Harry Clifton 95

no wonder they're looking tired both mentally and physically
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 12
jimgtfc
April 12, 2023, 5:37am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 45
Couple of weeks with Wayne Lineker this summer and they’ll be back well refreshed! 😂

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 12
gtfc_chris
April 12, 2023, 7:31am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,507
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from immariner
Someone with more sports physiology knowledge than me will know how much total minutes played has an impact vs average recovery time. Even though we've played probably 4-5 more games than the average L2 team, I'm not sure many players have started 3 games in a row other than Crocombe, the CBs and possibly Clifton. Could well be wrong on that though. Also, for teams that haven't had an ever-present goalkeeper like we have, their numbers could be skewed slightly lower on that basis. Not that I'm disputing the stats, they paint an interesting picture, but just a couple of things that came to mind. Hopefully the short journey to Doncaster and the late win will energise the lads for Saturday

That's the key one for me. It's easily argued that as professional athletes they could/would/should be able to play in however many games are needed, which probably has some degree of truth. However, professional athletes also have to take care of their body if they wish to perform at the highest standard. I'm no Sports Scientist either so I don't know the ins and outs of the profession but it would not surprise me in the slightest if one was to tell me that the recovery phase is where most gains are made in terms of physical peak. With limited recovery time in what has been a hectic season it would only be logical that a lot of these players aren't 100% where they would want to be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 12
OddShapedBalls
April 12, 2023, 8:31am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.02
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 40
When you consider those 4 extra games average were against top of championship and prem teams running us ragged, in real terms they were probably the same effort level as 1.5 or 2 league 2 games as well.

Warm up the deckchairs, order in some extra physios and the lads might have a fair chance next season without playoffs etc to tackle too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 12
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Minutes played this year

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.