9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
April 9, 2023, 9:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,160
Gold Stars: 211
Each season we look for improvements. Did last summer's signings move us on?

Glennon — Crookes released, on balance I think we can say this has been an upgrade

Green — Fox went to Northampton, not sure this was an upgrade but I don't think we've seen the best of Green yet

Khan — probably the Sousa replacement, six goals suggests we improved here although I don't think he presses or carries the ball as well as Sousa

Kiernan — signed to allow Clifton play for centrally, so no like-for-like replacement, think he improved the squad generally

Maher — technically replaced Longe-King, who was never really involved. Definite upgrade here

Orsi — signed to supplement Taylor & McAtee, so a sort of Dieseruvwe/Abrahams replacement. Part of the cup run but no league goals... no upgrade for me here

Morris & Hunt — can't really find like-for-like replacements. On paper this looks an improvement but I don't think either of them have shown their best for one reason or another.

Then we have a cluster of players who play in those wide attacking positions or through the middle — Dickson-Peters, O'Neill, Wearne, Pepple, Simmonds, Richardson... Hurst seems to have a habit of over-signing in this area, we also had Maguire-Drew and Scannell in the squad. I never quite got what the plan was (or is) for these lads. On reflection, only Richardson looked worth it — looked like a young Andy Cook to me. If he doesn't make the cut at Burnley I'm sure he'll have a good career in the EFL.

So in summary, on paper, I think our squad did improve, but there have been too many players playing within/beneath themselves and we went backwards in the attacking positions.

We just haven't had any strike partnerships this season due to injuries, personnel, squad rotation, etc. Huge upgrade needed here.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
MuddyWaters
April 9, 2023, 10:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
I think the lack of any meaningful attacking signings across both transfer windows has defined our season. We’ve got/had enough midfield and defensive options. The biggest problem has been the lack of quality in front of them.

Interested in your comments about Green. Definitely something there but not an improvement on Fox and, for me, he needs to learn to look after possession better.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 87
HertsGTFC
April 9, 2023, 10:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Green & Maher were signed from a club that’s been stuck in the NL for ages and failed again in last years play off’s sometimes it shows.

Don’t get why people thought Richardson was great when he was just the best of several undeveloped attacking loanees. Kiernan? We’ve missed his honestly & application since he left & McAtee came back in as a starter.

Orsi, hard to judge him in the league as Hurst hasn’t given him a chance despite Taylor’s frequent absences, but I sense he’s a squad player at best.

Glennon, would be better utilised if we could pass the ball to the left.

Khan, we know he’s decent, we just need him to stay injury free for a few months.

The rest? Meh….

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 87
Mappers
April 9, 2023, 10:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,410
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from RichMariner
Each season we look for improvements. Did last summer's signings move us on?

Glennon — Crookes released, on balance I think we can say this has been an upgrade

Green — Fox went to Northampton, not sure this was an upgrade but I don't think we've seen the best of Green yet

Khan — probably the Sousa replacement, six goals suggests we improved here although I don't think he presses or carries the ball as well as Sousa

Kiernan — signed to allow Clifton play for centrally, so no like-for-like replacement, think he improved the squad generally

Maher — technically replaced Longe-King, who was never really involved. Definite upgrade here

Orsi — signed to supplement Taylor & McAtee, so a sort of Dieseruvwe/Abrahams replacement. Part of the cup run but no league goals... no upgrade for me here

Morris & Hunt — can't really find like-for-like replacements. On paper this looks an improvement but I don't think either of them have shown their best for one reason or another.

Then we have a cluster of players who play in those wide attacking positions or through the middle — Dickson-Peters, O'Neill, Wearne, Pepple, Simmonds, Richardson... Hurst seems to have a habit of over-signing in this area, we also had Maguire-Drew and Scannell in the squad. I never quite got what the plan was (or is) for these lads. On reflection, only Richardson looked worth it — looked like a young Andy Cook to me. If he doesn't make the cut at Burnley I'm sure he'll have a good career in the EFL.

So in summary, on paper, I think our squad did improve, but there have been too many players playing within/beneath themselves and we went backwards in the attacking positions.

We just haven't had any strike partnerships this season due to injuries, personnel, squad rotation, etc. Huge upgrade needed here.

To flip it round
Should we have tried to retain Diserwurve ?

Think the lad would have been decent at league 2 hes better than Orsi IMO so we actually downgraded there
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 87
MuddyWaters
April 9, 2023, 10:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Green & Maher were signed from a club that’s been stuck in the NL for ages and failed again in last years play off’s sometimes it shows.

Don’t get why people thought Richardson was great when he was just the best of several undeveloped attacking loanees. Kiernan? We’ve missed his honestly & application since he left & McAtee came back in as a starter.

Orsi, hard to judge him in the league as Hurst hasn’t given him a chance despite Taylor’s frequent absences, but I sense he’s a squad player at best.

Glennon, would be better utilised if we could pass the ball to the left.

Khan, we know he’s decent, we just need him to stay injury free for a few months.

The rest? Meh….

Khan is a decent footballer but is like a statue. Off the ball movement is non existent, much like most of his teammates.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 87
MuddyWaters
April 9, 2023, 10:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

To flip it round
Should we have tried to retain Diserwurve ?

Think the lad would have been decent at league 2 hes better than Orsi IMO so we actually downgraded there

He’s scored 5 goals in about 80 EFL appearances for umpteen different clubs.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 87
Mappers
April 10, 2023, 7:30am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

He’s scored 5 goals in about 80 EFL appearances for umpteen different clubs.

Not really too fussed about that
He was a terrible starter
But a great one to have off the bench to cause bedlam for 30 to 40 minutes
Ironically him and Abraham were 2 that Hurst used well off the bench .
Would you rather have Orsi or Mani on for the final 30 minutes if you were chasing a game ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 87
lukeo
April 10, 2023, 7:36am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,396
Gold Stars: 149
Mani 100%.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 87
Posh Harry
April 10, 2023, 7:36am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,370
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from Mappers

Not really too fussed about that
He was a terrible starter
But a great one to have off the bench to cause bedlam for 30 to 40 minutes
Ironically him and Abraham were 2 that Hurst used well off the bench .
Would you rather have Orsi or Mani on for the final 30 minutes if you were chasing a game ?

It’s been stated before, mani wanted first team football, hurst made it clear, rightly, that he would not be first choice, and so no discussions ever happened about a contract
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 87
Mappers
April 10, 2023, 8:12am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Posh Harry

It’s been stated before, mani wanted first team football, hurst made it clear, rightly, that he would not be first choice, and so no discussions ever happened about a contract

I can't imagine we tried very hard to keep him ,as it transpired he would have actually got more minutes than expected.

I think on Mani and Sousa with hindsight Hurst would have have kept them both , both inconsistent but useful and could provide a point of difference to what we have ; Sousa can actually carry the ball ,I am not sure now if we have anyone that can really .

I think its more down to the fact we could not for whatever reason attract better quality of player than we did (i am assuming to Hurst's suprise ) that we are even debating that they have been missed in some way  .

It has to be rectified this summer , we need an Andy Smith or Connor Townsend rather than 7-8 squad players to make up the numbers . Then upgrades throughout the side and on the bench .

It still makes me nervous , although i am a PH fan that he is too stubborn in his ways and wont lose 'his shape ' with the budget in the summer and we will  just see a small incremental improvement within  the squad .

Hope i am wrong

Time will tell
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 87
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Upgrades

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.