Croxton
April 8, 2023, 9:13am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,020
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from immariner
The first half was a pretty much a non-event except the abysmal goal we conceded. The overlap was far too easy to create anf the pull back to a player who had no Town player within 5 yards of him was a real WTF moment. We looked much better at the start of the second half with the change of shape and personnel and to give Efete his dues, it was a really well taken goal. Then we were on top and Efete found himself free again in the box and really should have squared it but suddenly thought he was Messi, blazing it high/wide. Not long after, they go up the other end and a ridiculous challenge by Efete is met by an equally ridiculous decision to award a penalty when the challenge was clearly a yard outside. After that we fairly capitulated, conceded a carbon copy of the first and then our left back makes the sort of mistake you shouldn't ever see a professional defender make, letting the ball bounce when a head away was easy. Reminded me somewhat of his mistake against Swindon when he inexplicably let the ball run across him, leading to a foul and red card.

Weak physically- yes. Weak mentally- sadly also yes. We need players that can shoot accurately and defenders that can defend. And we need a big fornicator upfront like they had,.I thought Umerah was great. Hard to make a case for any of the out of contract players to be offered new contracts right now. Someone desperately needs to let Crocombe know he can kick quite far. Utterly infuriating to see him over-punt the ball with such consistency. Maybe take a bit off it next time Max, yeah?

Accurate summary of the goals but not sure that Umerah was as good as we were terrible. If we do go for a big lad up front and Harry Smith get's mentioned again I hope due diligence is done. Spent a lot of time talking to JMD at Orient when they should have both been limbering up at half time.

As for Crocombe, he has really gone to pot. Spends too much time up the pitch giving it large when there's argy bargy, fails to spot where our taller players are and punts it back to the other team. Touch of arrogance about his persona.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 38
HertsGTFC
April 8, 2023, 9:40am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Croxton

Accurate summary of the goals but not sure that Umerah was as good as we were terrible. If we do go for a big lad up front and Harry Smith get's mentioned again I hope due diligence is done. Spent a lot of time talking to JMD at Orient when they should have both been limbering up at half time.

As for Crocombe, he has really gone to pot. Spends too much time up the pitch giving it large when there's argy bargy, fails to spot where our taller players are and punts it back to the other team. Touch of arrogance about his persona.

Agree with all of this, Max is a bit of a nut job in reality and looks like he has trouble concentrating, when he is focused he’s great but we’ve not seen him in that space for a while.

Umerah finished his goal well but Max was pretty much on his backside, Amos had lost the plot and someone of Umerah’s size should be able to fend off a challenge from Hunt who has the physical presence of a 13 year old. People are raving about him just because we haven’t got a lump up front.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 38
toontown
April 8, 2023, 9:47am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Agree with all of this, Max is a bit of a nut job in reality and looks like he has trouble concentrating, when he is focused he’s great but we’ve not seen him in that space for a while.

Umerah finished his goal well but Max was pretty much on his backside, Amos had lost the plot and someone of Umerah’s size should be able to fend off a challenge from Hunt who has the physical presence of a 13 year old. People are raving about him just because we haven’t got a lump up front.

Yeah agreed I didn't think umerah was particularly good, it's just he's better than having a relative lightweight like Lloyd up there. Why oh why does Hurst persist with playing lloyd up front on his own like he did first half, he is never in a million years a target man and he gets outmuscled as easily as you would expect he would playing against fellas twice his size. Concerning that Hurst is unable to recognise that.

Hate to say it as I like Amos, but he.has been frequently exposed this season and simply isn't good enough if we want to challenge next season.

The fact hunt is struggling to get in this side does not bode well for him and I think next season could well be make or break for him as an EFL player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 38
HertsGTFC
April 8, 2023, 10:28am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from toontown

Yeah agreed I didn't think umerah was particularly good, it's just he's better than having a relative lightweight like Lloyd up there. Why oh why does Hurst persist with playing lloyd up front on his own like he did first half, he is never in a million years a target man and he gets outmuscled as easily as you would expect he would playing against fellas twice his size. Concerning that Hurst is unable to recognise that.

Hate to say it as I like Amos, but he.has been frequently exposed this season and simply isn't good enough if we want to challenge next season.

The fact hunt is struggling to get in this side does not bode well for him and I think next season could well be make or break for him as an EFL player.

The thing for me is that we can’t seem to get the midfield balance right Hunt & Morris can pass the ball, Clifton is getting better and Green can scrap and find a pass. We pick Holohan who’s a good lad but can’t pass water and isnt a 10,  Khan who can hurt sides out on the left seems to be asked to do a different job each times he starts.

Both Lloyd & Orsi have energy and are willing runners into space, Lloyd can also finish so just get the midfield right and we can free the two front lads up a bit without relying on someone being the hold up man.

I like Taylor a lot but I think his race may be run and McAtee sadly has become all about McAtee which is a shame as he’s been one of my personal favourites since he arrived.

We don’t have enough to be truly competitive but we have enough to make the hard earned admission fee feel like it’s a bit more like value for money.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 38
immariner
April 8, 2023, 10:37am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from toontown

Yeah agreed I didn't think umerah was particularly good, it's just he's better than having a relative lightweight like Lloyd up there.

I don't really know how you can say Umerah wasn't particularly good. He did exactly what was asked/expected of him as a target man, showed a good touch and barely lost a header. Lloyd being naff in a role he is wholly unsuited to doesn't change that. Bagged himself a 12th goal of the season in a struggling side. Not as good as Cook was for Bradford but we'd kill for a player like Umerah for next season, without question
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 38
Gaffer58
April 8, 2023, 10:40am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Would have been interesting to have been a fly on the changing room wall when Hurst announced the team, bet there was one or two looking around thinking WTF.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 38
Limerick Mariner
April 8, 2023, 11:56am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,727
Gold Stars: 137
Just watched the “highlights”, totally switched off for goals 1 and 3, but the pen wasn’t - look at Efete’s leg that he lunged with - it’s outside the box. Giving him the benefit of the doubt - maybe that’s way he lunged in because he knew he was outside the box.

As for the 4th, nothing to say other than Sunday League…

These complete black-out moments in defence have cost us numerous points - when otherwise we look solid. Not sure what the answer is. Even Taylor was clearly saying WTF are you doing after 4th.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 38
Stew0_0
April 8, 2023, 11:57am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,188
Gold Stars: 35
What I learned from that team selection / performance...

Hurst knows McAtee, Taylor, Orsi, Scannell, Morris, Cropper are not going to be here next season and has accepted we have no chance of signing Emmanuel, he is however not decided on Hunt and Amos yet, although yesterday did them no favours at all and I personally think we can do better on both. I also think we need to lose Battersby to bring in a keeper to challenge Crocombe.

Hartlepool had something to play for and had the extra spark to the performance. With seemingly nothing to play for although not mathematically safe we were outthought and out battled in key areas and times of the game and the last goal conceded summed our game up.

Credit to the Hartlepool fans for giving them a 12th man.

So to bring back some pride, get something from the game and to give us a stronger team I hope Clifton, Glennon, McAtee and Emmanuel start on Monday as see the season petering out to a disappointing finish if so and leave us harder to attract players next season.

Priority next season. Sort the home form, some creativity in midfield and 2 top strikers. Easier said than done.

Utm
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 38
DB
April 8, 2023, 12:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
I just watched the highlights, absolutely appalling defending by Town.

Wish I hadn't bothered.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 38
arryarryarry
April 8, 2023, 1:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,038
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I think most of our defenders have trouble concentrating especially Efete.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 38
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.