HertsGTFC
April 7, 2023, 5:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from ginnywings
5 at the back and too many changes gave them the initiative from the off.

Fook saving players for Monday. Get your best players on the pitch to give the home fans something to cheer about.

The fans are doing their bit at home and away, but the way the team perform at BP is abysmal.

I don’t get this Easter schedule nonsense it’s only like playing Saturday/Tuesday in reality, plus we’re away to Donny which is closer to home for many of the squad.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 170 - 186
arryarryarry
April 7, 2023, 5:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,037
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from OddShapedBalls

Well said - all the effort should go into making Blundell Park a fortress, why the hell were we trying to rest Clifton, McAtee etc for a home game?

Because that's what Hurst does.
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 186
Madeleymariner
April 7, 2023, 5:41pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 50
But we weren't really garbage we simply lack clever players and someone with to the ability to hit the target more often than not. We had a lot of blocked shots keeper saved a couple. We were too negative with starting lineup then chasing the the game for the last 45. Today came down to team selection. Agree with idea just use who is likely to be here next year surely after nearly 50 games he must know who he wants to keep and let go
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 186
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
April 7, 2023, 5:42pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -158
Gold Stars: 78
Quoted from 123614

Really, he wasn't much of a clown when we beat 5 teams in the FA cup who were all in higher leagues than us.   However, we definitely need quite a few better quality players next season.

Keep on eating the beetroot mate, yeah we had a lucky cup run but it has papered over the cracks, if it wasn’t  for our half decent away record we would be in a relegation battle, too many passengers today, genuinely worried about more embarrassment on Monday and next Saturday, after that I don’t care

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 173 - 186
HertsGTFC
April 7, 2023, 6:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Madeleymariner
But we weren't really garbage we simply lack clever players and someone with to the ability to hit the target more often than not. We had a lot of blocked shots keeper saved a couple. We were too negative with starting lineup then chasing the the game for the last 45. Today came down to team selection. Agree with idea just use who is likely to be here next year surely after nearly 50 games he must know who he wants to keep and let go

I suspect one or two who have deals in place for next season may be made aware they could look elsewhere if they want to start games.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 174 - 186
arryarryarry
April 7, 2023, 6:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Madeleymariner

Were you watching from Spurn Point?

The defending for their goals was garbage, the midfield could hardly string two passes together and up front we were cack.
Private Message
Reply: 175 - 186
golfer
April 8, 2023, 8:39am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
I don't think we have played well at home all season. Even those we have won we haven't played that well. Hurst's selection sometimes amazes me for our home games. There are not many games that I have come home happy and more often than not have said enough is enough. OK the away games are different - it's a day out at least but the home games are becoming a waste of time. I have waited until this morning to try to calm down but have eventually decided that unless there is vast improvement in the selections and tactics in the few remaining home games I wont be renewing my season ticket. It will hurt me I know but enough is enough.   Hurst might learn something if he started to read The Fishy.                
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 176 - 186
arryarryarry
April 8, 2023, 11:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner
This — and every other match from hereon in — is a dead rubber. Our season was effectively over the moment we lost at Brighton.

So then, with a home game and a bumper crowd turning up to BP on Good Friday, and a team in the relegation zone and the worst defence on the road in the whole league to face... we play five defenders and a holding midfielder.

What exactly where we looking to gain from that?

I don't need a degree in football analytics to know that if we'd played two strikers from the off, we'd have given their defence something to think about. Instead we were totally anaemic. We offered literally nothing in the first half.

A braver manager would've changed it 25 minutes in, when Hartlepool had quite clearly sussed us out.

Changes come at half time and, to be fair, they worked. We got back in it at 1-1, looked okay... and then the penalty. Seen one screen shot where it looks on the line, and another where it looks a yard outside.

Either way, when we go 2-1 down, as we did v Salford, we went to pieces. Too fragile.

A Hartlepool supporting mate watched us play Crawley off the park and feared today. He was mega impressed with Emmanuel and Clifton that night. Where were they today?

I have always supported Hurst, especially at times when it's got tough. I'm not changing my tune on the basis of today although I think it's fair he also comes in for criticism when it's truly warranted. I don't think there can be any excuses today, other than he got it badly wrong from the start.

What on earth is the point of signing players like Mikey O'Neill and Dickson-Peters if they're never going to be trusted in a dead rubber? As for Orsi, what more can he do to get a game? McAtee and Taylor starting on the bench...

It's not the end of the world but our home form is genuinely awful. That's 9 wins in our last 42 League 2 games at Blundell Park (including the 20/21 season).

1878 talk about continuous improvement, and I'm sure there's lots of work going on behind the scenes that we're not privy to. But we've certainly gone backwards since about October. Cup run aside, this squad now looks ragged and more like a bunch of strangers thrown together rather than a team.

We've had a lot of games to play this season. You'd think we'd have built rhythm and partnerships off the back of that. But constant tinkering with the side has never allowed us to get into a flow.

We've got a few more games left this season for Hurst to work out how exactly he wants his side to play.

With regard to 1878 I think too much time and money has been spent on trying to make the club a completely different organisation too quickly.

I know some staff have been effectively forced out and some left because they weren't happy working there any longer but did we need to get so many new staff in new positions not just in the office but also added to the coaching staff and I still don't know what the new player recruitment manager has brought to the club.

I appreciate some money needed spending on the ground but I don't really give a toss whether we are a A, B, C or D Corp. Club, I care what goes on on the pitch and all I have seen is the signing of young players from higher up the League that have probably never played at this level and all they get are a handful of substitute appearances and then never heard of again and signing other players that we have never heard of before.

The owners need to realize that a Football Club is hugely different from any other type of Company and it lives or dies by what goes on on the pitch and if they don't want to lose a good proportion of new season ticket holders they need to start on improving the playing side of the club well before the start of next season hopefully.
Private Message
Reply: 177 - 186
April 9, 2023, 10:03am
Guest User
Quoted from arryarryarry

With regard to 1878 I think too much time and money has been spent on trying to make the club a completely different organisation too quickly.

I know some staff have been effectively forced out and some left because they weren't happy working there any longer but did we need to get so many new staff in new positions not just in the office but also added to the coaching staff and I still don't know what the new player recruitment manager has brought to the club.

I appreciate some money needed spending on the ground but I don't really give a toss whether we are a A, B, C or D Corp. Club, I care what goes on on the pitch and all I have seen is the signing of young players from higher up the League that have probably never played at this level and all they get are a handful of substitute appearances and then never heard of again and signing other players that we have never heard of before.

The owners need to realize that a Football Club is hugely different from any other type of Company and it lives or dies by what goes on on the pitch and if they don't want to lose a good proportion of new season ticket holders they need to start on improving the playing side of the club well before the start of next season hopefully.

You do realise that it is not the owners that select and sign new players for the club, because it looks like that's the way you see it?

Reply: 178 - 186
arryarryarry
April 9, 2023, 2:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 123614

You do realise that it is not the owners that select and sign new players for the club, because it looks like that's the way you see it?

Are you saying that Paul Hurst can sign anybody he wants and no restrictions on what he can pay in regard to transfer fee and wages and that the board have no say.

😲
Private Message
Reply: 179 - 186
19 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match thread v the monkey hangers

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.