5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
gtfc_chris
March 25, 2023, 6:23pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,508
Gold Stars: 115
I think today followed the narrative of pretty much every home game this season.... frustrating.

Overall, a draw I think was a fair result on both teams. We looked fantastic up until the goal and then everything fell apart. I say fell apart, a fairer comment would be we stopped doing what had worked in the first 20 minutes, but its developing into a theme.

Walsall, much as they were a worthy opponent after the goal didn't really lay a glove on us in terms of creating chances from open play that had us worried. A corner - and most corners they had - were our only source of concern, they were otherwise toothless.

I've been a critic of Morris in recent weeks but I thought he had a good game today and deserves any plaudits that come his way. Amos by contrast wasn't at his best and at times was rather annoying in what he did with the ball.

Defensively we were pretty tight and tidy again which is a hallmark of a PH team and it dawned on me before their goal that a shut out today would make 4 league clean sheets in a row (perhaps thats why we conceded!!)

There's a thread on McAtee and whether he should be in the team but reading through this thread it almost supports those that have recently said he shouldn't be. Talented, absolutely, wasteful in situations he needn't be, yes. He works so hard, and you can see how he celebrates goals with teammates that he cares deeply, that's what I love most about him, but when he keeps shooting from ridiculous range all the time it becomes tiresome. The one in the first half I think he had good grounds to take and I don't begrudge him, but the one in the second half was simply wishful thinking and a ball to Efete would have been by far the better decision, though I confess to not rating him much either today.

We CAN be a better team then the league table and results suggest, I find we struggle to maintain the ascendency when we gain it and in games when we have every right to go on to win we take our foot off and almost gift the opposition the finest of margins/opportunities to get back into the game or see us out for a draw (mainly at home).

All in all, frustrating once again and a game I think we could/would/should have gone on to win if the opening levels are maintained. Looking positively its another game unbeaten and even though I'm sure staff and players will have their annoyance, every game unbeaten hopefully breeds some degree of confidence going into the next game.

Onto the next one, UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 44
golfer
March 25, 2023, 6:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
I don't think the ref. was too bad considering all the play acting from both sides. Several "pretend" head injuries was disgraceful considering the importance of the rules for the players benefit.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 44
lukeo
March 25, 2023, 6:53pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,395
Gold Stars: 149
I thought ref did OK, missed a fee obvious pushes but nothing major.
I really hope we sign Lloyd. Phenomenal player.

I think we have a backbone of a team that can challenge at the top, 3-4 key signings and we're onto a winner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 44
Spurn boy
March 25, 2023, 6:59pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,264
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from lukeo
I thought ref did OK, missed a fee obvious pushes but nothing major.
I really hope we sign Lloyd. Phenomenal player.

I think we have a backbone of a team that can challenge at the top, 3-4 key signings and we're onto a winner.

Considering the shitehouseary from both sides I think the ref had a good game , not as good as the ref on Wednesday night who let the game flow.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 44
arryarryarry
March 25, 2023, 7:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,038
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from DB

In the post match JT asked Hurst about this. The answer was  that the system he started to play was changed which didn't suit Scannel.

I don't think it matters what system we play, I very much doubt there is any place for Scannell in the team, in fact I would be surprised if he plays for us again.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 44
arryarryarry
March 25, 2023, 7:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,038
Gold Stars: 117
I quite enjoyed the game, I thought it was one of the better home League games this season.

We should have won the game by half time but they changed their formation but still only looked dangerous at corners where our defending was pretty woeful and we fell away a bit..
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 44
davmariner
March 25, 2023, 8:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,959
Gold Stars: 79
There are still question marks over his ability to perform consistently at this level.

Suspect McAtee is feeling the pressure to show he can deliver ahead of going down to Luton and then out on loan somewhere.

At this stage I’d be surprised if anyone above League 2 takes him though that’s not to say he hasn’t got the quality to play higher.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 44
MuddyWaters
March 25, 2023, 8:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from davmariner
There are still question marks over his ability to perform consistently at this level.

Suspect McAtee is feeling the pressure to show he can deliver ahead of going down to Luton and then out on loan somewhere.

At this stage I’d be surprised if anyone above League 2 takes him though that’s not to say he hasn’t got the quality to play higher.

Was told today ‘don’t be surprised if he’s here again next season’. Worth remembering that he was a  Nathan Jones signing not a Rob Edwards signing.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 44
Mariner John
March 25, 2023, 8:57pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +631
Gold Stars: 52
Mcatee, dreadful decisions even though he puts a shift in.
Efette, options to fly down the wing, goes 3 paces then a back or side pass quite regularly.
Maheer is not a long throw expert, infact most could probably throw it the same, but hopefully not in the same place every time.
Subs should have come on sooner as it was obvious players were tired out.
Saying all of that a points a point so onwards an up
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 44
HertsGTFC
March 25, 2023, 9:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Bit frustrated with that, overall we looked a bit more creative and tried to do some good stuff to get us into decent attacking positions & opportunities some things worked some things didn’t. I can’t say anyone had a bad game.

When it did work our composure is so poor that it resulted in poor delivery, pot shots, what looked like greed or just a load of players crowding the box like U7’s all trying to get a kick. Also some of our dead ball situations where & are shocking. We just don’t value the ball.

I thought Morris took our goal well and we should have dealt with there’s better. All said though 1 - 1 was arguably a fair result in the end from 2 teams who ain’t going up or down. Neither keeper was worked hard at all.

One final thing in our strategy to “be more Hartlepool” in mid field I thought Green & Morris worked well the latter delivering from what I’ve seen his best game for Town.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.