Reply: 30 - 39
99agrant
March 24, 2023, 8:38am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +128
Gold Stars: 4
Great first half and Grealish should have put us 3-0 up
Second half struggle with bookings and tiredness. My worry with Southgate is that he is so slow to respond at key moments in games that has cost England in the past. Again last night they were losing the midfield battle in 2nd half and should have brought on fresh legs earlier. We’ve got the basics of a very good side and we defended well with ten men to see it through
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 39
pontoonlew
March 24, 2023, 9:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
The second half showed me exactly why Southgate won’t win us a major tournament. Killed all our momentum by deciding to sit on it, much like we did in the Euros final. Luckily Italy are garbage.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 39
HertsGTFC
March 24, 2023, 11:57am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from pontoonlew
The second half showed me exactly why Southgate won’t win us a major tournament. Killed all our momentum by deciding to sit on it, much like we did in the Euros final. Luckily Italy are garbage.

I can't believe that in reality that game replicated the final of the Euro's in that we allowed an average Italy side back into it, they only won the euros because we let them, or it feels that way anyway.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 39
Youngy
March 24, 2023, 12:27pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,676
Gold Stars: 9
In hindsight, the red card probably saved us. It forced Southgate to change tactics and go 5 at the back and once we did that, Italy never got a sniff. I thought Connor Gallagher was superb for his brief cameo, his energy for that last part played dividends.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 39
ginnywings
March 24, 2023, 1:53pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Or maybe Italy just upped their game in the second half, which happens in games.

They haven't been beaten in a Euro qualifier for over 40 games, so to criticise England for their second half performance is missing the point that we beat Italy on their own patch for the first time in over 60 years.

The manner of the victory doesn't really matter. We scored more goals in our purple patch in the game than they did.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 39
darren9
March 24, 2023, 8:19pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +607
Gold Stars: 39
England ran out 2-1 winners. But the real legacy of this game is to enhance the stereotype that Italians really do know how to dress.

Southgate looked like he was trying too hard. His navy suit was alright. Decently cut, but, just alright.  His zip polo shirt worn half undone made him look scruffy. But, worse than that was his suit and trainer combination. I don’t dispute that this can be a good look but it didn’t work on Southgate last night. Primarily because his trainers were just too big and clunky. They should be slimmer and more streamlined. A gazelle or Stan smith in an all white leather colour way would have been a better option. To me, it looked like a schoolboy trying to rebel at school by wearing trainers with his uniform

Manchini in the other dugout absolutely nailed the managerial look. His navy suit was impeccably tailored, cut close to the body with perfect cuff length and a perfect break at the ankle. His smart, polished shoes an excellent accompaniment. Paired with a simple white shirt and striped tie was perfection.
His back room staff had the same but with a navy belted mac (incidentally quite a British jacket) over the top which had the embossed Italy badge on the arm. Much better than our lot in tracksuits.

The Italians absolutely schooled us in the style stakes last night and if points were awarded for that then we’d be already struggling to qualify.

Twitter: @DarrenLeeNewman
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 39
RonMariner
March 24, 2023, 8:23pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,798
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from darren9
England ran out 2-1 winners. But the real legacy of this game is to enhance the stereotype that Italians really do know how to dress.

Southgate looked like he was trying too hard. His navy suit was alright. Decently cut, but, just alright.  His zip polo shirt worn half undone made him look scruffy. But, worse than that was his suit and trainer combination. I don’t dispute that this can be a good look but it didn’t work on Southgate last night. Primarily because his trainers were just too big and clunky. They should be slimmer and more streamlined. A gazelle or Stan smith in an all white leather colour way would have been a better option. To me, it looked like a schoolboy trying to rebel at school by wearing trainers with his uniform

Manchini in the other dugout absolutely nailed the managerial look. His navy suit was impeccably tailored, cut close to the body with perfect cuff length and a perfect break at the ankle. His smart, polished shoes an excellent accompaniment. Paired with a simple white shirt and striped tie was perfection.
His back room staff had the same but with a navy belted mac (incidentally quite a British jacket) over the top which had the embossed Italy badge on the arm. Much better than our lot in tracksuits.

The Italians absolutely schooled us in the style stakes last night and if points were awarded for that then we’d be already struggling to qualify.

Yeah, but when did a sharp suit get you three points on a saturday?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 39
darren9
March 24, 2023, 8:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +607
Gold Stars: 39
Luckily for Southgate it doesn’t. Hurst has improved in the style stakes though. He’s ditched his touchline tracksuits and gone for smart trousers and knitwear.

Twitter: @DarrenLeeNewman
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 39
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
March 24, 2023, 8:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from darren9

Manchini in the other dugout absolutely nailed the managerial look. His navy suit was impeccably tailored, cut close to the body with perfect cuff length and a perfect break at the ankle. His smart, polished shoes an excellent accompaniment.

You say Manchini. I say Mancini.
You say Maher. I say Maaaaarrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhh…
…Let’s call the EFL Trophy off.

Funnily enough, if it was ‘Manchini’, it would be pronounced ‘Mankini’ which really is a fashion abomination that not even the Italian bench could pull off.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Italy v England

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.