SouthLakesMariner
March 28, 2023, 6:05pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +938
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from Maringer
How? Fewer English players in the Premier League now than at any time.

Don't confuse some talented players emerging at this moment in time with any systemic success.

The 'Golden Generation' had some great players (also developed during the PL years) and won nothing.

Not so long ago, relatively speaking, that we got knocked out of the Euros by Iceland - because we had a poor squad at the time, albeit one with some decent players in it.

I'm very pleased we've got some talented youngsters emerging to play alongside the likes of Kane and Co at present, but I do think this is as much luck as judgement.

Southgate mentioned the other week that it was a real concern about the lack of English players in the PL at present and the ever-reducing numbers he can pick from. He obviously doesn't think the PL has been so brilliant.

My reasoning is this. Although there are fewer English players playing for English clubs, those that are, are playing alongside and against some of the best players in the world, week in, week out, coached by some of the very best in the world. Is it not reasonable to expect the technical ability of English players under those circumstances to improve over time?

In the 10 major tournaments across the 80s and 90s (I know the PL started in 92/93 - but it’s impact, both positive and negative, would have taken several seasons to take effect) England reached the QFs or better on 3 occasions, so a 30% success rate on that particular measure.

In the 10 following major tournaments, England reached the QFs or better 7 times, a 70% success rate.

That looks like improvement to me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 58
rancido
March 28, 2023, 6:16pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,617
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from OddShapedBalls

All very good points mate, but is there not also an argument that in his stubborn refusal to give other players a chance  Southgate is stifling development of players who could come through in a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy? If he was more flexible/bolder in introducing players to the international games we may not be so thin on the ground.

I think the opposite about Southgate. Because of his work with the younger England sides, U23 etc , then he seems more willing to give younger players a chance. He can only give a younger player a chance if he thinks he is as good as or better than a regular older player.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 58
TheFryingSquad
March 28, 2023, 8:51pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Approval: -124
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from rancido

I think the opposite about Southgate. Because of his work with the younger England sides, U23 etc , then he seems more willing to give younger players a chance. He can only give a younger player a chance if he thinks he is as good as or better than a regular older player.

If a younger player or indeed any age player happens to play in Kanes position he has no chance.  Southgate seems to think Kane cannot be dropped irrespective of how badly he plays.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 58
Gaffer58
March 28, 2023, 9:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
I have always thought that British football even at the 2014 World Cup was all about the physical side, whereas the continental method was about talent and possession. Just watch the top premiership teams and it’s is all about keeping possession, as we learnt at Brighton, there’s no just lumping it up to a big centre forward hoping to win the second ball etc. Southgate has took this philosophy on board and now England can compete against the top national teams.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 58
ginnywings
March 28, 2023, 10:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from TheFryingSquad

If a younger player or indeed any age player happens to play in Kanes position he has no chance.  Southgate seems to think Kane cannot be dropped irrespective of how badly he plays.

Why would he drop Kane?

He's our all time record goal scorer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 58
TheFryingSquad
March 29, 2023, 3:08pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Approval: -124
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from ginnywings

Why would he drop Kane?

He's our all time record goal scorer.

A third of his goals were penalties
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 58
Maringer
March 29, 2023, 5:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,649
Gold Stars: 189
Didn't get the memo that penalties don't count as a full goal.

Kane is also probably our best all-round footballer as things stand and we're completely reliant on Kane being fit to play in the current style.

Saka might have something to say about who is the best all-round footballer in due course, as might Bellingham, but without Kane playing we don't have the same threat at present.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 58
promotion plaice
April 2, 2023, 3:09pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,088
Gold Stars: 200

Leicester City have sacked manager Brendan Rodgers.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 58
The Caterham Mariner
April 2, 2023, 3:27pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Approval: +96
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from promotion plaice

Leicester City have sacked manager Brendan Rodgers.

Bloody Hell I had a bit of time for him thought he was a steady manager goes to show
"Funny old game football!"
Jimmy Greaves RIP
Best footie pundit show ever
Saints & Greavsey ( excuse Spelling left Wintringham no CSE's to my name).
UTM

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 58
The Caterham Mariner
April 2, 2023, 4:50pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Approval: +96
Gold Stars: 8
Also Crystal Palace doing there bit for "Help the Aged!"  Roy Hodgson having a 2nd term at 75 years old  Good luck to him .
Remember when we went to Selhurst Park. Lost 1-0 to Palace down to 10 Men after 3 Mins courtesy  of VAR.!!
AND  They applauded  us ....Memories  you don't forget..
UTM

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Managerial merry-go-round

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.