Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Legacy of our FA Cup run?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 201 Guests

Legacy of our FA Cup run?

This thread currently has 8,679 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
March 19, 2023, 10:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from acko338
I hope that GTFC can enhance their sweep for new rough diamonds to develop, and young footballers who don't get taken on from the Premier and Championship teams after YTS or apprenticeship schemes.

We won't have huge amounts for signing on schemes, so the way forward will revolve around the player trawl that the Head of Recruitment can put in front of Paul Hurst.

My question would be how far afield this Head will be searching?

Are we considering the Scottish, Irish and Welsh Leagues, and would Town consider players from Europe, Iceland etc?

We've got a New Zealand keeper, and previously had an assistant from Australia, so how far will Town be searching?

Why would we look at players from these country’s when the top 2 divisions discard loads of kids with talent and ability at the end of the season? Glennon who played really well today is one example of how we can benefit.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 71
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 20, 2023, 3:53am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,908
Gold Stars: 180
For me, the legacy isn’t just about the players. It’s about the club being the epicentre again of the community. How many were watching on tv or even lucky enough to be at the game thinking they’d love to watch town week in week out. Brighton are great examples of what can be achieved and how a club can make huge strides via engagement within their own back yard.

Instead of kids talking of Man Utd, liverpool etc in the playgrounds at school today, hopefully it’ll be Town that will be the topic of conversation.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 71
aldi_01
March 20, 2023, 7:16am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
The legacy has to be about how the club embeds itself fully in the community.

We’ve just visited a club whose stadium is essentially out of town and yet still had a community vibe about it. I understand that being in the premier league and sellouts every week probably help but I can be scaled down and there’s plenty of room for ambition and aspiration.

Sadly, for a fair fee the legacy will be every transfer window when we don’t sign Haaland and all we’ll hear is ‘where’s the FA cup money’…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 71
Mappers
March 20, 2023, 8:04am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,409
Gold Stars: 119
I know it sounds bonkers
But will Hurst even want this bigger budget?
He loves to operate as the underdog ,and keep 'us shape' with budget much like his setup on the pitch .
Did great with Shrewsbury and us
Not so well with Ipswich where I assume he had a bigger warchest and bigger egos to manage .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 71
GrimRob
March 20, 2023, 8:23am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
Bigger budget still doesn't mean big. Whatever figure it is will still be dwarfed by other teams in our division. I'd still like him to splash out on a number 9 you can build the team around rather than get loads of players and cobble a team from the squad. The fact is we have one of the worst home records in the EFL. Winning away is fun but we need to do better in front of our own fans.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 71
headingly_mariner
March 20, 2023, 9:01am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,391
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from aldi_01
The legacy has to be about how the club embeds itself fully in the community.

We’ve just visited a club whose stadium is essentially out of town and yet still had a community vibe about it. I understand that being in the premier league and sellouts every week probably help but I can be scaled down and there’s plenty of room for ambition and aspiration.

Sadly, for a fair fee the legacy will be every transfer window when we don’t sign Haaland and all we’ll hear is ‘where’s the FA cup money’…

It was a nice ground, but it being out of town made it a bit excrement, or would do if you had to go every week. I think Brighton fans are quite happy with having a ground that isn't the Withdean, but the travel and organisation was a ballache (I think they're making the best of it).
Spoke to a bloke on the train on the way to Falmer and he was kitted out in all the Brighton gear, old fella, I was chatting to him about my visit to the Withdean and he knew very little about it. Told me he used to follow Swindon. I did speak to some proper fans as well, but I thought it was telling when they started streaming out from about 80 minutes that having an out of town stadium causes issues.

They've an absolutely class team.

I think the legacy for us has to be kicking on, we've had a bit of success, but can we capitalise on it?
I think the next 5 years might be amazing for Town fans. I don't agree with everything they do but I actually feel like our owners have genuine aspirations to improve us both on and off the pitch.
Be amazing if they can redevelop Blundell park.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 71
moosey_club
March 20, 2023, 9:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,294
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Brighton Lurker

Jonathan Pierce said our players were worth a collective 354 mill and yours was 1.4 mill. That's just crazy. We were the 1.4 mill 20 years ago.

£ 1.4m ?? I think he must have included the players cars and watches to come up with that figure of worth 😂

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 71
DaleH
March 20, 2023, 9:40am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +816
Gold Stars: 168
The one thing that supporters have to be mindful of, is that although the owners have committed to putting the FA Cup money into the playing budget, this cannot be solely blown in one season. The clue is in the word "budget".

First and foremost, as supporters we have to understand that this "football fortune" is very unlikely to occur again next season, and that prize money like this does not come around very often for small lower league clubs. So it can't be blown in one season in such a way that it makes our playing budget unsustainable for subsequent seasons.

So the sensible way forward in applying the prize money to the normal budget, is to carefully amortise the additional amount over the length of any new contracts. So for instance, a new player comes in on a two year contract. The money has to be used in such a way that it sustainably supports that wage bill over the two years of the contract. And that has to apply to every contracted player. We have to afford ourselves the "get out" of the wage commitments when the contracts expire, in the knowledge that we may not have accumulated any more "football fortune" over above what we earned in the 2022/23 season for it to continue at those levels.

Not putting a downer on the money we've earned by any means. It is a real bonus, but as supporters we have to manage our expectations too in terms of how this can be used sustainably.

Time to resurrect my Fishy signature again. So here goes.

"BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 71
Mappers
March 20, 2023, 9:52am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from DaleH
The one thing that supporters have to be mindful of, is that although the owners have committed to putting the FA Cup money into the playing budget, this cannot be solely blown in one season. The clue is in the word "budget".

First and foremost, as supporters we have to understand that this "football fortune" is very unlikely to occur again next season, and that prize money like this does not come around very often for small lower league clubs. So it can't be blown in one season in such a way that it makes our playing budget unsustainable for subsequent seasons.

So the sensible way forward in applying the prize money to the normal budget, is to carefully amortise the additional amount over the length of any new contracts. So for instance, a new player comes in on a two year contract. The money has to be used in such a way that it sustainably supports that wage bill over the two years of the contract. And that has to apply to every contracted player. We have to afford ourselves the "get out" of the wage commitments when the contracts expire, in the knowledge that we may not have accumulated any more "football fortune" over above what we earned in the 2022/23 season for it to continue at those levels.

Not putting a downer on the money we've earned by any means. It is a real bonus, but as supporters we have to manager our expectations too in terms of how this can be used sustainably.

Thats too sensible
It needs copy and pasting for when some of our less thoughftul posters on twitter are saying 'where is the million pound striker ?' in the summer .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 71
Mappers
March 20, 2023, 9:58am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob
Bigger budget still doesn't mean big. Whatever figure it is will still be dwarfed by other teams in our division. I'd still like him to splash out on a number 9 you can build the team around rather than get loads of players and cobble a team from the squad. The fact is we have one of the worst home records in the EFL. Winning away is fun but we need to do better in front of our own fans.

I get what you mean , we should have one of the biggest based on crowds and this cup run .
BUT  you will have teams like Salford , FGR and Colchester with double our budget probably .

Would love the transparency that you could see all the teams playing budgets ,it would be interesting to see where we are ,and how much these clubs that are bankrolled are overspending beyond their long term means .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Legacy of our FA Cup run?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.