5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
LondonMariner43
March 15, 2023, 9:09am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,977
Gold Stars: 64
What does everyone think about the window with the benefit of 6 weeks of hindsight?

Lloyds and Emmanuel have turned out to be excellent signings that we wouldn't want to be without for the rest of the season.  To have two signings that genuinely add to the squad is a decent outcome - no transfer window results in 100% success.

I honestly can barely remember who else we signed so had to look them up.  Dickson-Peters - not really needed if we have a fit squad.  Gallacher - likewise.   O'Neill - a bit average.  I can't see any of these being on our list of people we'd try to keep come the end of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
chaos33
March 15, 2023, 9:31am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,973
Gold Stars: 361
I think O’Neil might be a fair bit better than we’ve seen.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 41
AussieMariner
March 15, 2023, 9:46am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31
Gallacher was solid and showed promise at Northampton

I suspect we would have seen more of him if he wasn’t injured
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 41
ska face
March 15, 2023, 9:58am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
Makes frig all difference if we’re waiting around for other chess pieces to move until the last few hours of the window again.

I’d sooner us take a bit of a hit in paying fees/slightly over the odds to get business done and dusted in the first few weeks and then spend the summer getting sorted, rather than waiting until the 10:50pm on 31st August hoping for a unicorn to drop into our laps.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 41
mimma
March 15, 2023, 10:10am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
Apparently all the money from the cup run will go on the playing budget so perhaps we can afford the better players we crave (assuming they want to come!)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 41
jamesgtfc
March 15, 2023, 11:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Emmanuel and Lloyd in particular look like astute bits of business, but I struggle to rate our January business as good because all of them are gone at the end of the season. Lloyd and Emmanuel through the door early in the summer would be a fantastic start.

I have a feeling Hunt will move on in the summer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 41
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 15, 2023, 11:35am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,763
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Emmanuel and Lloyd in particular look like astute bits of business, but I struggle to rate our January business as good because all of them are gone at the end of the season. Lloyd and Emmanuel through the door early in the summer would be a fantastic start.

I have a feeling Hunt will move on in the summer.

Not sure Hunt will move on, he signed a three year contract and, as others have pointed out, still very inexperienced for his age when compared to someone like  Clifton. Hopefully we recruit some better players and this will allow Hunt to prosper as he certainly has the ability.

Lloyd has certainly given us something different up front and is a real trier who has finished well when given the opportunity and it would be great if he could add some tap ins to this as we don’t score enough goals inside the six yard box.

Must be on my own re Emmanuel as whilst he clearly is a good player with great attacking attributes I think he needs to get more involved in games and I would like to see him come off the line occasionally and give us another body in midfield. Certainly wouldn’t be against signing him permanently but that appears unlikely.

Not seen Gallagher so can’t comment and the rest of January signings just haven’t had sufficient game time to judge them on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 41
HertsGTFC
March 15, 2023, 11:48am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
I loved the last window, loads of supporters saying we should sign this player or that player without only seeing them play against Town at best, and we didn’t sign any of them.

Then we had the Hurst is stubborn and needs to try harder brigade.

Add to the Hurst is tight and the owners were bull sh1tting on the budget available chatter.

The almost suicidal response from some about us not signing Dallas or a know striker.

The Jan window is just an exercise created by the market and authorities to move money around and get a few big money/news moves going, it makes no sense unless you’re an agent of course.

Lloyd and Emanuel have made a difference, many players who move throughout the game in January don’t so I reckon we’ve done ok to date out of it.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 41
OddShapedBalls
March 15, 2023, 12:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.02
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,193
Gold Stars: 40
I think the main thing to come out of the transfer window was what's happened after - Lloyd and Emmanuel becoming mainstays and others hardly getting a look in is a clear message that if you come here and apply yourself in the right way you'll get rewarded with playing time (see the development of Khouri too for that matter).

If you're a player considering a move to town in the summer or as a loan deal next season it's clear that you won't just be making up the numbers as long as you're good enough/work hard enough.  I personally think that should help keep the prima-donnas and the workshy away and help to attract the kind of players we want/need.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 41
Jarmo.Is.God
March 15, 2023, 12:38pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
I find it strange that Morris is getting picked over Hunt.
I think Hunt really does have potential to play higher, and will play a bigger part next season

The season feels done and dusted barring the cup, so i think it's a big few weeks for many to make a mark on the team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 41
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Transfer window

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.