12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
MarinerDevil
March 11, 2023, 7:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,779
Gold Stars: 80
I think it's a very important occasion; a big opportunity for us to show the footballing world that we can be better than perennial L2/NL strugglers. It will also provide with a financial boost which could give us an edge for the next few seasons.

But yeah, it's not the most important in terms of the result.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 113
pontoonlew
March 11, 2023, 7:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
The play-off games were way more important, but it doesn’t mean they were bigger IMO.

Putting it into context, a Non League play-off game is not ‘bigger’ than an FA Cup Quarter final tie. The financial reward and the prestige of the competition outstrips anything else IMO.

I know we’ve been to a Semi final, but football looked extremely different then (and we were in the top division). A League 2 side making the semis will be one of the biggest achievements in the most prestigious domestic cup competition in the world.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 113
The Caterham Mariner
March 11, 2023, 7:57pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +98
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from LH
It’s the most high profile.

Agreed with the "Harry" publicity and the Southampton game being on telly has put the spotlight on "Town" playing Brighton in a quarter final again on telly BBC.
Forest Green Rovers at Wembley is high on my list followed by Sollihull Moors at The London Stadium (West Ham ground).

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 113
TownSNAFU5
March 11, 2023, 8:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
Yes, if we beat Brighton where would it rank in lower-league achievements?  A very interesting and difficult question to answer.

In recent (ish) years:  

Chesterfield (Div 3 in old money) are right up there with a semi-final against top division team Middlesbrough at Old Trafford. They scored a late winner which was over the line. The linesman flagged for a goal.  David Elleray hesitated abd Boro quickly played on.

Wycombe took 19,000 to an FAC semi-final.  Lost to Liverpool after beating top-team Leicester.

NL Hereford beating the mighty Newcastle in 1972 in a replay.  Malcolm McDonald etc.  ( I was based in Hereford for this game and offered free tickets).

A win at Brighton would be right up there.  Ex NL less than a year ago; facing a very talented team at home before a capacity crowd; a team very motivated to win as never won a cup;  a manager who wants to win every game; a team that easily beat Liverpool twice in a week.

We are also playing on a perfect pitch - not Hereford’s ploughed field. VAR is not something we are used to.

Lastly, we are not a surprise team.  Brighton are wary as we have already won away at a PL club - their near neighbours

So a win would be very special against any assessment.  Odds of 17-1 seen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 113
LH
March 11, 2023, 8:45pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,566
Gold Stars: 174
If we beat Brighton it would absolutely be the biggest upset of all time. Fourth tier beating first tier to become the first ever fourth tier team to make an FA Cup semi final. It’s highly unlikely however so we’ll just have to be in the top 25 maybe by upsetting a top tier team to make the quarters. I live in hope though.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 113
jamesgtfc
March 11, 2023, 8:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from LH
If we beat Brighton it would absolutely be the biggest upset of all time. Fourth tier beating first tier to become the first ever fourth tier team to make an FA Cup semi final. It’s highly unlikely however so we’ll just have to be in the top 25 maybe by upsetting a top tier team to make the quarters. I live in hope though.

And having beaten 6 teams from higher divisions to do so!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 113
LondonMariner43
March 11, 2023, 8:56pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,977
Gold Stars: 64
If we won it definitely would be the biggest result in our history.  However I think it will be more like the game against Chelsea a few years ago.  I fully expect us to get thrashed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 113
HertsGTFC
March 11, 2023, 9:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Last years play off final was our biggest game because if we hadn’t halo come up I sense we’d have stayed down there for a while.

I think we’ll get a bit of a beating next weekend, but a cup semi final would be something off the scale.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 113
jaygy
March 11, 2023, 9:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
Let's just look at it this way despite a fairly drab home record....before the season started did anyone expect us to be safe in the league and still be in the FA cup in March? Yes that's MARCH! I certainly didnt
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 113
sydney
March 11, 2023, 10:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
It is the biggest game in terms of Nationwide exposure
1939 has no comparison to this modern day money grabbing football
My hope is we put in one of the  Town performances we know we can
Come on Town!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 113
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Brighton game

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.