Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Uni Survey for car drivers.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 13 Guests

Uni Survey for car drivers.

This thread currently has 822 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
OddShapedBalls
March 9, 2023, 12:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from aldi_01
I’d happily have an EV. I’ve had several Hyrbid cars, all been super reliable. I also know several people who have EVs who would never go back to ordinary fuel.

I know it’s cool to bash Tesla and people have these horror stories but they’re actually few and far between. I had a BMW that’s engine essentially blew up, BMW were disgraceful in their response, but that wouldn’t make a story, but a ropey wing mirror on a Tesla does. I know several Tesla drivers who’ve had zero issues.

My worry so far is that this country is dogshit, we’re dreadful are improving infrastructure so therefore, the EV market is always gonna be hit, and I don’t think it’s anything to do with cost of vehicle at all. I’d say a hell of a lot of money in fuel over the year, even offset against the slightly higher cost of the car but the charging infrastructure isn’t quite there yet and I need that reliability and that ease of access. All that said, if there is significant investment, I’d definitely begin to look at an EV and Tesla would be too or my list, then possibly Polestar…

Very good point about the horror stories - They had an issue...2010-ish... where the brakes were setting parked cars on fire too.  Hardly got reported.  Around the same time Toyota launched a recall to fit a shim to the pedals of a few models because a few had become prone to sticking and got absolutely trashed in the media about it despite being very pro-active.  All manufacturers have plenty of issues but some seem to get off lightly compared to others.

I worked at Lexus when the Hybrids first really hit the market and they are great to drive, the electric motor eliminating torque curves drool drool drool..... if they can get them to last 500,000 miles and run on bio-diesel for the standard engine section I reckon this whole emissions thing would be sorted. In the UK at least, worldwide it's just pissing in the wind of all asia's coal power plants but that's a different discussion

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 17
ginnywings
March 9, 2023, 10:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
I haven't got a car and won't be getting one, but like lots of stuff, what seems strange now will be the norm eventually. Younger generations will grow up in a world with cars with no combustion engines.

Mobile phones were once the size of a brick, weighed a ton, cost a fortune to buy and use, and were unreliable.

Now everybody has them, even 5 years olds.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 17
promotion plaice
March 10, 2023, 8:24am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,084
Gold Stars: 200

Do they do electric Motorhomes yet ginny ?

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 17
ginnywings
March 10, 2023, 10:20am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from promotion plaice

Do they do electric Motorhomes yet ginny ?

They do, although they tend to be the smaller campervans.

Bigger ones are appearing, but like cars, they will take a good few more years to become the norm. The price is prohibitive at the moment.

Campsites will also need to introduce charging points.

https://touring.co.uk/electric-campervans/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 17
jamesgtfc
March 10, 2023, 11:05am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,027
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from ginnywings

They do, although they tend to be the smaller campervans.

Bigger ones are appearing, but like cars, they will take a good few more years to become the norm. The price is prohibitive at the moment.

Campsites will also need to introduce charging points.

https://touring.co.uk/electric-campervans/

I think Hydrogen may be used for larger vehicles. There are currently 12 stations in the UK offering it (1 somewhere in the north and a few within the M25 obviously). There is actually a hydrogen plant in Killingholme which Shell are 50% partners in.

Hydrogen removes strain on the grid as more people get environmentally friendly vehicles and it is also great for people who live in terraced houses like much of Grimsby.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 17
ginnywings
March 10, 2023, 11:28am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I think Hydrogen may be used for larger vehicles. There are currently 12 stations in the UK offering it (1 somewhere in the north and a few within the M25 obviously). There is actually a hydrogen plant in Killingholme which Shell are 50% partners in.

Hydrogen removes strain on the grid as more people get environmentally friendly vehicles and it is also great for people who live in terraced houses like much of Grimsby.

That's interesting. Wasn't aware that Hydrogen was available as a fuel now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 17
jamesgtfc
March 10, 2023, 12:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,027
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from ginnywings

That's interesting. Wasn't aware that Hydrogen was available as a fuel now.

You refuel like petrol/diesel; 5.6kg costs £70 and returns 400 miles in the Toyota Mirai. They run like an EV by converting the hydrogen instead of electricity. I think this is more promising than EVs, especially for larger vehicles.

https://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/mirai?gclsrc=ds&gclsrc=ds
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 17
pen penfras
March 21, 2023, 8:12pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Hydrogen is obtained by electrolysis, which is about 75% efficient. This energy all comes from electricity and the hydrogen engine is less efficient too. Hydrogen cars would put a much higher strain on the grid than EVs. Efficiency of EV is about 75% taking everything into account. Hydrogen cars about 50%.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 17
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Uni Survey for car drivers.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.