This thread currently has 4,909 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Theimperialcoroner
March 2, 2023, 2:38pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,257
Gold Stars: 102
Some right bitter twits on their forums, this is just a little example.
https://twitter.com/trevhewsongy/status/1631302492880289792?s=46&t=6afbiBm9hJhja0TBTGTGfg

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
scrumble
March 2, 2023, 2:53pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +986
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted Text
I was there and think they said the attendance was 17,500 I think,  including over 4000 Grimsby fans.
But the Grimsby fans sounded like 17,500 to f them, gotta give them props for the supper midweek. In contrast the home support was basically silent apart from 1 or two attempted chants that quickly died out  

That's just one from Reddit. The majority of comments I've seen have been nothing but complimentary towards the players and fans.

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 30
RonMariner
March 2, 2023, 2:57pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,796
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Some right bitter twits on their forums, this is just a little example.
https://twitter.com/trevhewsongy/status/1631302492880289792?s=46&t=6afbiBm9hJhja0TBTGTGfg

You learn a great deal about a persons character from how they respond to defeat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 30
HatTrickHero
March 2, 2023, 3:40pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +781
Gold Stars: 25
Been almost constant praise form Saints fans I've come across. There will always be bitter fans but honestly, the guy needs to worry where his club are going, never mind a loss to little ol' Grimbo. The elation and pride of our performance last night was so immense that I barely  took in some of the commentators words about their plight. The I remembered this morning....they spent £60 million in January. Whaaat?
Shocking, wreckless and a just galaxies away from the football we all enjoy/endure in the lower levels.
Don't know where they go from here but not our problem anymore, out-spent us by £60 million but we outplayed, out-fought and out-sang them.

Proper football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 30
HerveJosse
March 2, 2023, 3:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,217
Gold Stars: 144
All the people we spoke to in Southampton before and after the game and again this morning were friendly helpful and complimentary about us . I think when you are pottering about in the lower mid reaches of the Premier League for years never looking like winning anything and hoping to finish 10th every year you are perhaps a bit jealous of nights like we had.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 30
Theimperialcoroner
March 2, 2023, 4:15pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,257
Gold Stars: 102
This was off a Saints forum. Got to say the same about my personal experience of those we met yesterday.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 30
Mayaman
March 2, 2023, 4:35pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from HatTrickHero
Been almost constant praise form Saints fans I've come across. There will always be bitter fans but honestly, the guy needs to worry where his club are going, never mind a loss to little ol' Grimbo. The elation and pride of our performance last night was so immense that I barely  took in some of the commentators words about their plight. The I remembered this morning....they spent £60 million in January. Whaaat?
Shocking, wreckless and a just galaxies away from the football we all enjoy/endure in the lower levels.
Don't know where they go from here but not our problem anymore, out-spent us by £60 million but we outplayed, out-fought and out-sang them.

Proper football.

out-inflatabled them too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 30
HatTrickHero
March 2, 2023, 5:40pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Approval: +781
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from Mayaman

out-inflatabled them too.

Not sure about the validity of the word but I'm up for e-mail bombing the Oxford Dictionary bunch until they relent
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 30
grimps
March 2, 2023, 5:45pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
I’d try not to get too excited about what a 13 year old on Twitter says about us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 30
HertsGTFC
March 2, 2023, 7:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
I sat with a friend of mine in the Saints but down the side, mix of generations and opinions, mainly the ref and their side getting the stick.

For both of our goals and the final whistle I tried to play it cool, failed miserably!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 30
Squidgy Fred
March 2, 2023, 8:24pm

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +44
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

While the Saints supporters my feel they've been done over by a quality L2 team, they should take solice from the proverb.......

"Defeat is Ok"
As quoted by Idi Amin's chiropodist.

UTM

[img]https://c5.staticflickr.com/8/7324/26341920004_0d69f14f30_n.jpg>[/img]

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 30
mimma
March 2, 2023, 9:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I sat with a friend of mine in the Saints but down the side, mix of generations and opinions, mainly the ref and their side getting the stick.

For both of our goals and the final whistle I tried to play it cool, failed miserably!

Was that you that waited for their fans to leave and then opened your jacket to show us all your Town top underneath?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 30
ancientmariner54
March 2, 2023, 9:33pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -177
Gold Stars: 13
I hope Southampton go bust ,as they surely will.  Spending 30 mill on two of the most ineffectual strikers I have seen in years. If we hadn't come out for the second half we'd still have wone, they couldn't hit a cow's ar£e with a banjo . And as for the comment (at least we don't live in Great Grimsby ) I've  worked all over the country ,including Sarfampton and it's  a shi+ hole . And they eat Cod , witch as we all know is only fit for cats and suvernurs.U.T.M.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 30
grimsby pete
March 2, 2023, 10:55pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
Fail to see what cheating we did , granted VAR. Went in our favour but it was correct in its judgment .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 30
RonMariner
March 3, 2023, 4:31pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,796
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from grimsby pete
Fail to see what cheating we did , granted VAR. Went in our favour but it was correct in its judgment .

Indeed.

Both penalty decisions were correct. They may be upset by Orsi's oscar moment, but the fact is that if you punch someone in the back in the box, it's a penalty. It's also violent conduct and the defender would have had no complaints if he'd been given a straight red card.

And being offside is like being pregnant. You either are or aren't. And Wallcott was. (Offside that is.....)

Perhaps they take exception to Max's unfortunate cramp, but I am not a doctor so can't speculate on that .......     
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
The Caterham Mariner
March 3, 2023, 6:28pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +98
Gold Stars: 8
To be expected from some Saints finding given the situation they are in and have a League 2 team come and burst their bubble.
Consider the ticket price and being at home I thought their attendance was poor and the atmosphere and vibe for the occasion pitifal from them as whole.
I love this phrase i cannot take credit for
We " out-inflatabled them" this i hope carries on at Brighton and beyond!
With 4200 tavelling away we out sang them at work
Today the feedback " You blew them out the water!"
and impressed the socks of those watching the game out of curiosity not support.
BRING ON BRIGHTON
UTM

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 30
spaceman
March 3, 2023, 7:06pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +30
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from ancientmariner54
I hope Southampton go bust ,as they surely will.  Spending 30 mill on two of the most ineffectual strikers I have seen in years. If we hadn't come out for the second half we'd still have wone, they couldn't hit a cow's ar£e with a banjo . And as for the comment (at least we don't live in Great Grimsby ) I've  worked all over the country ,including Sarfampton and it's  a shi+ hole . And they eat Cod , witch as we all know is only fit for cats and suvernurs.U.T.M.

But that's the nature of the PL and it's only really since the new owners took over this last year or so that Southampton started splashing out on players.

For years and under Gao especially, Saints have sold some of their best players and used that money to get cheaper replacements in, often promising young talent.

It just hasn't worked out these last few years. I mean for example, Djenepo was supposed to replace Sadio Mané lol.

The team is all over the place at the mo, a young team very much in transition or perhaps destined for the Championship. Time will tell but at least we're not Everton lol. Half a billion quid on transfers and what do they have to show for it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
TownSNAFU5
March 3, 2023, 7:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
You have to take before even thinking about time wasting. Southampton were responsible for us taking the lead.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
spaceman
March 3, 2023, 7:17pm
Coke Drinker
And as for it being a shithole lol. Believe me there are much worse places to live. I've never been to Grimsby but I'm sure it has similar problems, probably feels more like being beside the sea there.

At least it's not Portsmouth lol. I have family there and at first glance the place looks nicer (especially Southsea) but it's basically the worst parts of Southampton on steroids, way too urban.

Like Southampton it has a surprising amount of deprivation for the South East. Southampton punches well above its weight though, as it only became a city in the 60s and that's reflected in how small the city centre is but there are some lovely parts of Soton, especially the area around riverside park or the Common, Highfield etc. New Forest nearby and doesn't take long to get out of the city either.

Two decent universities, an airport, huge container port, six cruise ship berths, one of the best art galleries in the country,, biggest theatre in the south outside of London etc. Surprisingly good music scene. Just sad there are so few local pubs left in the city centre and so many late night venues have disappeared in the 23 years I've lived here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 30
HertsGTFC
March 3, 2023, 7:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from mimma

Was that you that waited for their fans to leave and then opened your jacket to show us all your Town top underneath?

No mate it wasn’t but I wish I’d thought about it.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 30
Mappers
March 3, 2023, 7:38pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,410
Gold Stars: 119
Southampton , Portsmouth and GY are all pretty similiar really to an extent  nicer parts and worse parts -Ive walked down shirley road ,lived in Fratton and was born near Freeman Street .But all have decent areas i think its the same everywhere really to an extent- I lived in Delhi for a time and to call anywhere here 'a sh#t hole ' just makes me think of that place and that anyone thinking that about anywhere here should give the outskirts of somewhere like that a try .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 30
Mappers
March 3, 2023, 7:48pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from spaceman
And as for it being a shithole lol. Believe me there are much worse places to live. I've never been to Grimsby but I'm sure it has similar problems, probably feels more like being beside the sea there.

At least it's not Portsmouth lol. I have family there and at first glance the place looks nicer (especially Southsea) but it's basically the worst parts of Southampton on steroids, way too urban.

Like Southampton it has a surprising amount of deprivation for the South East. Southampton punches well above its weight though, as it only became a city in the 60s and that's reflected in how small the city centre is but there are some lovely parts of Soton, especially the area around riverside park or the Common, Highfield etc. New Forest nearby and doesn't take long to get out of the city either.

Two decent universities, an airport, huge container port, six cruise ship berths, one of the best art galleries in the country,, biggest theatre in the south outside of London etc. Surprisingly good music scene. Just sad there are so few local pubs left in the city centre and so many late night venues have disappeared in the 23 years I've lived here.

Been to joiners a few times that was a few years ago though ,dont know if its still there  ? Some great gigs there
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 30
spaceman
March 3, 2023, 8:02pm
Coke Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

Been to joiners a few times that was a few years ago though ,don't know if its still there  ? Some great gigs there

Yep still there. So many of the 'toilet circuit' venues have closed lately (especially in London) so it's great to still have one.

The Guildhall is not too bad too but acoustics are crap. The old Talking Heads was great but we still have the Brook, and Garden Court at Southampton University is okay. We lost some big nightclubs but being more into live music that doesn't bother me so much, we gained a couple of others, Engine Rooms, 1865 etc.

But we also have an event each year called Music in the City showcasing local artists which includes live performances in all sorts of historic venues like various medieval wine vaults.

https://www.musicinthecitysouthampton.org/

Some notable acts to come out of here include the band Delays and Creeper. The album Faded Seaside Glamour is partly about Soton. In fact, Delays were signed by Rough Trade after a private gig at the Joiners.

Attachment: fb_img_1677873575955_8902.jpg
Size: 68.97 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 30
thornemariner
March 3, 2023, 8:18pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +665
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from Mappers
Southampton , Portsmouth and GY are all pretty similiar really to an extent  nicer parts and worse parts -Ive walked down shirley road ,lived in Fratton and was born near Freeman Street .But all have decent areas i think its the same everywhere really to an extent- I lived in Delhi for a time and to call anywhere here 'a sh#t hole ' just makes me think of that place and that anyone thinking that about anywhere here should give the outskirts of somewhere like that a try .

My brother went to Southampton Uni so I'd stay down there when Town were at Pompey. I think the city suffers from the unimaginative reconstruction following WW2 bomb damage that you see in other places.

I like Portsmouth. I worked out of there for a few weeks a year and actually married a Pompey girl so know the area. I have quite a few friends who support Pompey. It was always a good day out there though I only saw a run of defeats bar one win in 1998-99. There seemed to be a pub on every corner at one time but I gather that has changed now.

Private Message
Reply: 23 - 30
Mappers
March 3, 2023, 8:22pm
Champagne Drinker
Will have to try and check some of those out ,i live in Fareham so its just down the road for me - I went to London road brewhouse and shenanigans before the game i didnt even know they were there ,the local ID driving license actually came in useful .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 30
spaceman
March 3, 2023, 8:32pm
Coke Drinker
Quoted from thornemariner

My brother went to Southampton Uni so I'd stay down there when Town were at Pompey. I think the city suffers from the unimaginative reconstruction following WW2 bomb damage that you see in other places.

I like Portsmouth. I worked out of there for a few weeks a year and actually married a Pompey girl so know the area. I have quite a few friends who support Pompey. It was always a good day out there though I only saw a run of defeats bar one win in 1998-99. There seemed to be a pub on every corner at one time but I gather that has changed now.

Absolutely, lots of buildings were put up in a hurry after WW2.

As for Pompey, my sister and my nieces and nephews live in Southsea. The area is great, lots of local pubs, particularly along Albert Rd. Pompey has a more bohemian feel than Soton and a great music festival where the place come alive

It's a great place to visit but I prefer to live in Soton as it's just greener, more spaced out and in some ways more affordable. Like Pompey it has some dodgy estates but they're really not that bad. I use to live in one.

And I know I'm biased lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 30
Mappers
March 3, 2023, 9:20pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from spaceman

Absolutely, lots of buildings were put up in a hurry after WW2.

As for Pompey, my sister and my nieces and nephews live in Southsea. The area is great, lots of local pubs, particularly along Albert Rd. Pompey has a more bohemian feel than Soton and a great music festival where the place come alive

It's a great place to visit but I prefer to live in Soton as it's just greener, more spaced out and in some ways more affordable. Like Pompey it has some dodgy estates but they're really not that bad. I use to live in one.

And I know I'm biased lol

Wedgewood rooms was good down albert road ,and there was a decent little live music venue next to Fratton train station that always had a few bits on ,not sure what that was called though .

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 30
Mappers
March 3, 2023, 9:24pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from thornemariner

My wife is  from Portsmouth to, but doesnt really like football ,she does ocasionally have a look on the Fishy though to  offer a few thoughts ,after reading one of our previous custodians late night rants she declared 'is he a fruit loop ?'

And she also says they 'will be getting booed again if they lose  on Saturday '

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 30
spaceman
March 3, 2023, 9:52pm
Coke Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

My wife is  from Portsmouth to, but doesnt really like football ,she does ocasionally have a look on the Fishy though to  offer a few thoughts ,after reading one of our previous custodians late night rants she declared 'is he a fruit loop ?'

And she also says they 'will be getting booed again if they lose  on Saturday '

Yeah, can understand that as the rivaly does my head in at times. It's just too toxic and being from outside the area (Devon) I just don't have that level of hatred in me lol.

It's nice the stadium is in the city centre but it was a shame to lose the Dell as it was a really tight ground and in a nicer part of the city.

Regards the rivalry, maybe some Pompey fans are very passionate but they're definitely more the aggressors. There's a good little documentary about it on YouTube but maybe is a bit more slanted toward Pompey. Worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl_aevuam8k
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 30
Wedidntdidwe
March 3, 2023, 10:54pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +377
Gold Stars: 22
We played at Luton in the 4th round which trumps all in the shithole stakes surely.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 30
Yoda
March 3, 2023, 11:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,189
Gold Stars: 72
Southampton is a great place had some good nights out there.
Lived in Portsmouth, Southsea for a year liked that as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 30
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Saints Fans

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.