Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Football regulator white paper released.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 289 Guests

Football regulator white paper released.

This thread currently has 1,586 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
February 22, 2023, 10:56pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Logged Offline
Private Message
DB
February 22, 2023, 11:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from ginnywings

If it all goes through then it will be good for football, especially the fans. That said it reads more like a political manifesto so I wonder how much of it will get past the money men of the prem.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 14
ginnywings
February 23, 2023, 1:11am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from DB

If it all goes through then it will be good for football, especially the fans. That said it reads more like a political manifesto so I wonder how much of it will get past the money men of the prem.

It's a government white paper which sets out policy documents. Doesn't mean it will end up in statute and I'm sure there will be much push back from the Prem.

Basically proposals at this stage.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 14
grimps
February 23, 2023, 8:21am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
I’m not sure what it’s actually going to achieve but I feel the best way of keeping money at the football clubs is by having a rule that only a certain % of their income can be spent on players wages , transfer and agent fees .
Let’s say it was 50% for example , this would then allow a club to invest in facilities, academy’s and back from staff .

At the minute any increase in revenue just goes straight into higher players wages and fees .
The money is being taken out of the game snd the clubs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 14
OddShapedBalls
February 23, 2023, 9:51am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.02
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 40
I'm definitely in favour of the idea of an independent regulator.......but none of the other regulators are really up to much are they so how effective one would actually be for football I'm not sure. Money always talks. They have  a habit of employing people from the industry they are attempting to regulate who don't do much actual regulating whilst in power or create loopholes to be exploited and then cycle back into said industry they came from ready to abuse the system.

A central part of this white paper, and what provoked it's existence in the first place, seems to be around stopping the big 5+spurs from breaking away into a new super league- is there a connection to UEFA here?  Are the government potentially scratching backs to help out?  I guess we'll never fully know, I think a regulator will indeed happen but it won't be particularly effective
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 14
HerveJosse
February 23, 2023, 10:05am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,213
Gold Stars: 144
When did a government appointed regulator ever improve an industry?
Water?
Energy?
Telecom?
Railways?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 14
GrimRob
February 23, 2023, 11:59am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
It's trying to square the circle a bit when clubs are private companies with shareholders and balance sheets. They are not really private companies at all, they are community assets.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 14
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 23, 2023, 12:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307
Waste of time and money. They will have no power and will end up hanging on to the coat tails of the Prem teams like everyone else.

Or worse, clubs like us will be 'regulated' while the Prem clubs carry on doing whatever the f*ck they want.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 14
DB
February 23, 2023, 1:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
There is something on Look North tonight about it, which was filmed at BP.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 14
Maringer
February 23, 2023, 1:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,646
Gold Stars: 189
I know that UEFA/FIFA have a thing against 'government interference', so I wonder how the aims in the white paper would go down with them if they were to be passed into law? I suppose we might see a blind eye turned by UEFA if it helped to keep the primacy of the Champions League in place. I expect the lawyers are already sharpening their pens in anticipation of long and protracted legal battles.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 14
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Football regulator white paper released.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.