5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
golfer
February 20, 2023, 2:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 117
My nephew worked on VAR and he says it was initially just to be used for goal line technology - it should have stayed that way. If linesmen are up with the play as well as the ref. then 3 pairs of eyes for fouls and offsides should be sufficient. They are all supposed to be in radio  contact
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 49
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 20, 2023, 2:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,907
Gold Stars: 179
Quoted from golfer
My nephew worked on VAR and he says it was initially just to be used for goal line technology - it should have stayed that way. If linesmen are up with the play as well as the ref. then 3 pairs of eyes for fouls and offsides should be sufficient. They are all supposed to be in radio  contact

This!

Keep VAR for incidents in the penalty area or serious foul play.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 49
Theimperialcoroner
February 20, 2023, 2:38pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,254
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Gaffer58
As VAR is assumed to assist the premiership clubs as they are used to it , I bet the ref appointed will be a premiership ref. Now some would say that’s because there the best, in my opinion that is debatable, but again it helps the premiership club as we all know how every challenge is always a free kick to which ever player screams and rolls about more, whereas our cloggers in league 2 still see the  physical side of the game as something you have to win.

Refs are appointed based on the level of the highest team. Would be a L2 ref if we were playing a non league dog and duck team like Scunthorpe.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 49
Theimperialcoroner
February 20, 2023, 2:39pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,254
Gold Stars: 102
As for VAR it’s utter male masturbation, but if it is to stay I think each team should have one or two challenges per game, otherwise it is ignored except for goal line incidents.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 49
ginnywings
February 20, 2023, 4:59pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
VAR can't be any worse than some of the refs we've had lately in our league games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 49
TonySmith
February 20, 2023, 6:36pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +968
Gold Stars: 11
All our players will have seen enough VAR games on TV to know how it works. The bottom line is that sneaky stuff in the penalty area will very likely be spotted and punished, so be very careful what you try to get away with!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 49
Son of Cod
February 20, 2023, 6:45pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
One of the things that annoys me most about VAR was that Lineker, Neville, Keane, Jenas and all that lot were crying out for it. Saying how ridiculous it was that they had it Germany and that the Prem needed to hang its head in shame for depriving the poor top tier fans of England of this wondrous breakthrough that would solve any and all match officiating decisions. Fast forward to us having it here and they can't get enough of slating it. Seemingly oblivious to the role they played in rushing its rollout and implementation in this country.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 49
mimma
February 20, 2023, 9:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
The last time we played with it we had a yellow card overturned to a red after 2 minutes. We didn't know at the time this rule applied. They will know how to take advantage of it where as we only have to forget for one moment and we could be in trouble.
It's more likely to favour them rather than us, but, you never know
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 49
Poojah
February 20, 2023, 9:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,667
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from mimma
The last time we played with it we had a yellow card overturned to a red after 2 minutes. We didn't know at the time this rule applied.

Which rule? I don’t think you were meant to tackle this, even before VAR.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/ZJyXywh/E8-D7672-E-E814-42-FC-8918-6-AB0047714-A4.jpg[/img]

As disappointing as it was at the time, it was a red card offence and the ref should have sent him off in the first place - it’s a reasonable VAR case study if anything.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 49
lew chaterleys lover
February 20, 2023, 9:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Poojah

Which rule? I don’t think you were meant to tackle this, even before VAR.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/ZJyXywh/E8-D7672-E-E814-42-FC-8918-6-AB0047714-A4.jpg[/img]

As disappointing as it was at the time, it was a red card offence and the ref should have sent him off in the first place - it’s a reasonable VAR case study if anything.

That is exactly what is wrong with VAR.

Ultra slow motion, or a still shot like that makes it look like a full blooded, pre meditated lunge to take out the player and looks a red all day long.

In real time, Townsend had turned him inside out and Fox was playing a ball that suddenly wasn't there due to the superior skill of a Premier league player against a league 2 defender in the very first minute of a huge game for the league 2 side.

One of the most experienced refs in the league took all that into account and decided on a yellow, to give a signal to keep your adrenalin in check and calm down or you will be off.

A ref in the control room looked at it in ultra slow motion / still and overruled all that and told him to change his mind and give a red.

This is just one problem with VAR as it doesn't take nuances into account.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › VAR at Southampton

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.