Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 249 Guests

Just Back  (merged)

This thread currently has 7,567 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Son of Cod
February 18, 2023, 8:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
From memory, we should have beaten Northampton at home?  We were unlucky,  I think their scorer today scored a late goal from a narrow angle,  

What goes around, comes around.

We were unlucky to not win that one at BP but they didn't equalise late, they took the lead in the second half and it was a banger. However, they went and fell on the floor for the rest of the match which allowed us to come back into it and we battered them. Wearne ran the show off the bench and JMD got the equaliser at the back post late on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 48
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
February 18, 2023, 8:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,698
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Pleased for Glennon today I think he’s finding establishing himself in senior football a bit of a challenge and has at times had a bumpy learning curve, but the lads got heart and talent so he’ll progress for sure.

This, we need to remember to have patience with these types of players, him and alex hunt have only played in around 50 professional first team games, harry cliftons played in around 200, and he's a significantly better player than he was when he was on 50 or so. Footballing ability isnt an issue for them at all just learning the mental side of the game, game management and generally how to stay consistant and take their opportunities when they play. Hopefully weve got an enviroment where we can give them proper time to do that now without a big turnaround every season. I bet many of the town greats of the 80s or 90s were similiar in their level at this point in their careers
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 48
forza ivano
February 18, 2023, 8:57pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,267
Gold Stars: 266

This, we need to remember to have patience with these types of players, him and alex hunt have only played in around 50 professional first team games, harry cliftons played in around 200, and he's a significantly better player than he was when he was on 50 or so. Footballing ability isnt an issue for them at all just learning the mental side of the game, game management and generally how to stay consistant and take their opportunities when they play. Hopefully weve got an enviroment where we can give them proper time to do that now without a big turnaround every season. I bet many of the town greats of the 80s or 90s were similiar in their level at this point in their careers

interesting point. My fear is that both Glennon n Hunt are so far below the level that we saw first time round is that we have bought a pig in a poke with the pair of them. Hope to god Im proved wrong
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 48
jamesgtfc
February 18, 2023, 9:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190

What went on with Glennon after his spell with us? I thought he was really impressive and I've just looked, he didn't play a professional game for almost 2 years when he rocked up at Barrow.

He's 23 now and has under 50 league professional games under his belt! Clifton is a year older and has over 200!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 48
RichMariner
February 18, 2023, 9:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,159
Gold Stars: 210
I know it's sacrilege to speak positively of a certain Mr Holloway but, before covid bit and we (board and IH) totally mismanaged the situation, we played a fairly expansive and attacking brand of football in which Vernam had a free role almost, cutting inside from the left, which left Glennon open space to attack down the left wing.

I think there's clearly a player in there; he's just playing in a more rigid system compared to the one that Holloway had us playing when he was here on loan.

Also, confidence is a massive thing. Signing for us permanently, and moving across from the North West, away from your family, when you're 22/23, is a big deal. Some players manage the transition no problem, others may struggle a bit.

All players need a settling in period. Shaun Pearson's first season with us was nothing like the form he showed in subsequent seasons. Rob Jones also had a whole season where he was nothing more than average, then had a colossus season for us.

Younger players are more inconsistent generally. If he gets his head down, he'll be a top player in the EFL. He has three goals in a mid-table side, in his debut season for us. That ain't bad.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 24 - 48
buckstown
February 18, 2023, 10:10pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,187
Gold Stars: 79
What a lovely day out at the home of the shoe makers!! Not a classic by any stretch of the imagination but no question we deserved something out of it.
We switched off for their goal instead of playing to the whistle and I thought that might be it. However, step up Mr. Josh Emmanuel with two outstanding pieces of skill. He did well to get into the by-line but the crosses for both goals were sublime.
PH mentioned our away support when discussing player recruitment recently and it was fantastic again. Beat Harrogate on Tuesday and it's breathe easy time so we can concentrate on the cup!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 48
immariner
February 18, 2023, 10:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from Son of Cod
Can't be bothered to dissect that match right now really but absolutely class in the away end that, really needed that after Gillingham. UTM.

Funny you say that SoC. I was sat in the section just to the right of the goal that must have been full of the infamous Swindon lot. Very much between two pockets who were often singing different songs, essentially acting like a bit of a breakwater. Picked up when we scored the 2nd, mind
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 48
moosey_club
February 18, 2023, 10:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,294
Gold Stars: 226
Didn't go....
Didn't even listen as was out and about...

However...well done to the 900+ who attended 👏👏👏

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 48
LH
February 18, 2023, 11:35pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,566
Gold Stars: 174
I didn’t go as I was moving my brother into his new house in Saltaire (great location for Bratfud away for me) but listened to what a rented van would allow me to on the way back. I didn’t expect anything other than a surprise win or at the very least a dour 0-0 today. It’s just so Paul Hurst to do that - and on that note congratulations to Harrogate for the seasonal double over us and the 5-0 demolition of Orient next Saturday half opens up the League Two title race.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 48
LondonMariner43
February 18, 2023, 11:38pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,977
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from RichMariner
I know it's sacrilege to speak positively of a certain Mr Holloway but, before covid bit and we (board and IH) totally mismanaged the situation, we played a fairly expansive and attacking brand of football in which Vernam had a free role almost, cutting inside from the left, which left Glennon open space to attack down the left wing.

I think there's clearly a player in there; he's just playing in a more rigid system compared to the one that Holloway had us playing when he was here on loan.

Also, confidence is a massive thing. Signing for us permanently, and moving across from the North West, away from your family, when you're 22/23, is a big deal. Some players manage the transition no problem, others may struggle a bit.

All players need a settling in period. Shaun Pearson's first season with us was nothing like the form he showed in subsequent seasons. Rob Jones also had a whole season where he was nothing more than average, then had a colossus season for us.

Younger players are more inconsistent generally. If he gets his head down, he'll be a top player in the EFL. He has three goals in a mid-table side, in his debut season for us. That ain't bad.

This is such an important point and rarely gets mentioned here.  It’s no coincidence that our best players are the ones who have had several seasons of 40+ games.  At our level, even if we want to sign established players, it’s hard to get them to come so PH has to take a chance on people who have shown promise but maybe lost their way, and then nurture them to success.  McAtee is a great example.  We have loads of players in the squad with limited games behind them but if we can build from here, we could start to have less squad turnover every season and build some seasoned pros.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 48
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.