1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Heswall Mariner
February 17, 2023, 7:21pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +594
Gold Stars: 30
I enjoy watching footy in any guise & - just in case -  in no way am I knocking women's footy.
However, I am somewhat confused over the plethora of International tournaments currently taking place.
Pinatar Cup: - Scotland v Philipines & Iceland v Wales.
Arnold Clark Cup: England v Italy.
She Believes cup : No home nations involved.
Oh & then we have the Women's World Cup Play offs.
I would be eternally grateful if someone in the know could tell me what the hell are the Pinatar, Arnold Clark Cups & why are we not in the She Believes thing?  

Logged Offline
Private Message
pizzzza
February 17, 2023, 8:58pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Just Google it
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 8
Heisenberg
February 17, 2023, 9:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from Heswall Mariner
I enjoy watching footy in any guise & - just in case -  in no way am I knocking women's footy.
However, I am somewhat confused over the plethora of International tournaments currently taking place.
Pinatar Cup: - Scotland v Philipines & Iceland v Wales.
Arnold Clark Cup: England v Italy.
She Believes cup : No home nations involved.
Oh & then we have the Women's World Cup Play offs.
I would be eternally grateful if someone in the know could tell me what the hell are the Pinatar, Arnold Clark Cups & why are we not in the She Believes thing?  

Yet more excuse to absolutely deluge our screens with a barely established sport to justify the fake hero worship of a load of players nobody has heard of.

Non Football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 8
Abdul19
February 17, 2023, 9:15pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,577
Gold Stars: 218
Had to go through 6 different channels before I found refuge from Pinatar Cup small talk.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 8
denni266
February 17, 2023, 10:29pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
Cant say i find a problem with women playing football  and there seems some good skill on show  And a desire to win and compete. It is here to stay and will only grow so good luck to them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 8
LH
February 17, 2023, 10:51pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,572
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Heisenberg

Yet more excuse to absolutely deluge our screens with a barely established sport to justify the fake hero worship of a load of players nobody has heard of.

Non Football.

It’s the same sport that Town will play away at Northampton tomorrow. It’s a competition you’re not invested in, much the same as you’re not arsed what happens in the Serbian third division tomorrow. If women and girls watch their fellow women play and want to come and see Town play live is that a bad thing?
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 8
GrimRob
February 17, 2023, 11:06pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from pizzzza
Just Google it

Google is old hat. I asked ChatGPT. This is what it said

International tournaments are a great opportunity for women's football teams to compete against each other, gain valuable experience, and showcase their skills on a global stage. Here's an overview of the tournaments you mentioned:

The Pinatar Cup: The Pinatar Cup is an annual women's football tournament held in Murcia, Spain. It usually takes place in February or March and attracts teams from across Europe. The tournament consists of a series of friendly matches between the participating teams, and it provides an excellent opportunity for teams to prepare for major competitions such as the World Cup and the Olympics.

The Arnold Clark Cup: The Arnold Clark Cup is a new women's football tournament that is set to take place in Scotland in 2023. It will feature six teams, including Scotland, England, Japan, and Canada. The tournament is named after Arnold Clark, a car dealership that is sponsoring the event. The exact format of the tournament has not yet been announced, but it is expected to be a round-robin competition followed by a knockout stage.

The SheBelieves Cup: The SheBelieves Cup is an annual women's football tournament that takes place in the United States. It was first held in 2016 and features four of the world's top women's football teams. The tournament is organized by the United States Soccer Federation (USSF) and is designed to inspire and encourage young girls to believe in themselves and their abilities. The participating teams usually include the United States, England, Japan, and Brazil, and they play a round-robin format over a period of several days.

Women's World Cup Play-offs: The Women's World Cup Play-offs are the final stage of the qualifying process for the FIFA Women's World Cup. The playoffs are usually contested by the teams that finished second in their respective qualifying groups. The playoffs consist of two rounds, with the winners of each tie advancing to the World Cup finals. The exact format of the playoffs can vary from year to year, but they typically involve a two-legged tie, with the team that scores the most goals over the two legs advancing to the next round.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 8
Croxton
February 18, 2023, 11:06am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,020
Gold Stars: 33
Thanks Rob. An interesting question, very well answered.

I was watching Pointless yesterday and two women's footballers from Sheffield chose to go for the £9000 jackpot answering esoteric questions on men's T20 cricket!

How many of us blokes would have chosen, say Netball?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001j75s/pointless-series-28-episode-53

From around 35 min.

They could have opted for 'Ed Sheeran Albums' of course.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 8
Gaffer58
February 18, 2023, 1:33pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
TV stations have that many hours to fill that they need all these competitions to fill air time, and as the BBC cannot afford to pay much then I would assume they’re quite cheap to buy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Womens Internationals

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.